DIY Sound Deadening Removal- Dry Ice - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 little_nolan  is accepted as part of the communitylittle_nolan  is accepted as part of the communitylittle_nolan  is accepted as part of the communitylittle_nolan  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default DIY Sound Deadening Removal- Dry Ice

This DIY is being done on a DC2 GSR, and should be the same for the "EG/EH" hatchbacks and very similar on EF's/EK's.

NOTE: I am not going to go through the whole procedure of removing your rear seats, front seats, rear plastics (optional), and carpet ect. It is fairly strait forward and you will need to do this.

Parts needed:

-socket wrench
-12mm socket
-phillips head screw driver small and large head
-Hard plastic mallet
-Trash Bag
-Heavy duty paint scrapper
-Dry Ice (pelletized is best, but you can get away with block like I did)
-Eye protection
-Gloves

PROCEDURE

-I will start assuming you have removed all pieces necc. to give you access to the bare floor (if you need details on how to remove certain pieces just ask) just remove all this

Empty rear of car.. the darker sections in the trunk and under seats that looks like a hard tar is the sound deadening material.

-After removal take your dry ice and spead it out over a section of sound deadening materail, do not do to much of the area at a time and try to cover as much of the materail as you can. YOU WANT THIS STUFF TO GET COLD!
(handle with gloves, this is not frozen water it is a chemical and will burn you, it is app. 7X colder than the freezing point of water)

- Let the dry ice do its job and let it sit on the section for several minutes. A good indication it is cold enough is that section will begin to moan and creek (depending on outside temp.) and will get very hard and possible shrink a little. There is capital I shaped stamping in the material that allows it to change shape during weather variations and these will close up for the most part.

pic. of ice in action-- you may need smaller chunks for helping to freeze the curved setions-- you can see the I's I am talking about that are stamped into the material.

-Once a section is good and frozen use your hands first to try and peel/lift the large easy sections up. Then if you must resort to a metal paint scraper and plastic mallet, a small flat head may help in some situations. Collect all pieces and put them in a plastic trashbag, this will cut down on flying shrapnel and clean up will be easier.

-I worked my way from back to front. There is a "rubber mat" type under the dash that cuts engine noise and that was quite heavy aswell, but most of it can be removed with careful cutting and tugging
'97 ITR #305
'97 Civic EJ8
'89 CRX ZC Turbo
little_nolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 little_nolan  is accepted as part of the communitylittle_nolan  is accepted as part of the communitylittle_nolan  is accepted as part of the communitylittle_nolan  is accepted as part of the community

here is some pics taken later that day, including post roll bar install and painting of trunk area.

-I put all of the sound deadening material I removed in one single contractor trash bag, and I would guess it was about 27lbs give or take a few.

Feel free to ask questions.
'97 ITR #305
'97 Civic EJ8
'89 CRX ZC Turbo
Old 02-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Ravan smells like BoratRavan smells like BoratRavan smells like BoratRavan smells like BoratRavan smells like BoratRavan smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

basicly most of the work is pulling the interior.
The dry ice does its own thing, How long did it take to pull all of it out after the
dry ice was applied?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ravan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravan View Post
basicly most of the work is pulling the interior.
The dry ice does its own thing, How long did it take to pull all of it out after the
dry ice was applied?
The interior is extremely easy to pull in these cars.. Id say its removing the stubborn parts is where the times at.

Id say 5-8hrs of work for the whole thing.
'97 ITR #305
'97 Civic EJ8
'89 CRX ZC Turbo
Old 02-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

dnice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussie

Where did you get your dry ice?
2014 Honda Grom
dnice78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

I got the dry ice from Ukrops Grocery store in Fredericksburg VA.

Its hard to find the dry ice
'97 ITR #305
'97 Civic EJ8
'89 CRX ZC Turbo
Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

they sell dry ice at my local albertsons. I saw this write-up in an issue of project car a while back. good info

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

I missed the write up... I actually did this a few months ago and Im just now getting around to making a thread about it somewhere
'97 ITR #305
'97 Civic EJ8
'89 CRX ZC Turbo
Old 02-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!

It was in the Summer of 2009 issue of project car. Starts on page 72 titled "Sound Deadening Removal: The Easy Way."

Old 02-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
It was in the Summer of 2009 issue of project car. Starts on page 72 titled "Sound Deadening Removal: The Easy Way."
Gracias! had no idea...
'97 ITR #305
'97 Civic EJ8
'89 CRX ZC Turbo
Old 02-23-2010, 01:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 stiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stiffdogg06

I order ~200lbs of dry ice pellets at work weekly. yay for free dry ice.

434whp/332ftlbs D16Y8 GT3076R 27psi Meth Fed - 2010

2006 Nighthawk Black Pearl Acura TL
stiffdogg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

ohh sheez thats a lota ice! sounds cold
'97 ITR #305
'97 Civic EJ8
'89 CRX ZC Turbo
Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 jollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

ok so after removing this you do what exactly? i would rather have sound dampening material in my car ( i hate road noise) so do you do this then put in your own material or is this just a weight reduction DIY for track use?

MR 95 ex coupe- CAF!-R.I.P. put into a wall by work..

MR 94 ex coupe- from the effing canigits eh?

Quote:
I'd fuck that like she was the economy and I was obama!
Quote:
Grab her by the throat and fuck that bitch silly. If she tries to fight just whisper in her ear "don't turn this rape into a murder"
jollyroger494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger494 View Post
ok so after removing this you do what exactly? i would rather have sound dampening material in my car ( i hate road noise) so do you do this then put in your own material or is this just a weight reduction DIY for track use?

This is for the purpose of removing weight from the car, its about 30lbs when ALL material is removed... if you dont like road noise you will not want to do this. I can hear every single pebble or tire booger that is flicked up by my tires.
'97 ITR #305
'97 Civic EJ8
'89 CRX ZC Turbo
Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Speedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 40 reviews

i did this in my old coupe then put down truck bedliner to kinda have a happy medium between sound and weight

granted the deadening ability depends on mass mostly so the liner prob did little to nothing

240,000 miles and counting turbo EH9
nothing like 4drs, ac,moon roof, and 4 whores and running 13psi out or a ching chong t3/t4 setup
the build

if it survives the winter JdM d15b+Vitara+FJT+25psi=

professional tranny assassin, 2 stock diffs in 4 weeks on street tires and preload was used
Speedjunky01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Well?

Rep Power: 33 1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 38 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1.5Slowmatic

take out the factory tar and replace it with a good material like fat mat. The overall difference in weight will be very minor but with the mat in there it will be much better than the tar.
Quote:
Nate is seriously one of those angry white men you read about all the time.

Headlight Harness DIY Upgrade
DIY Ice Box Intake
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #7
1.5Slowmatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5Slowmatic View Post
take out the factory tar and replace it with a good material like fat mat. The overall difference in weight will be very minor but with the mat in there it will be much better than the tar.
I thought fat mat was tar on aluminum sheets?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

good work.

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 13 BLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

I used anti freeze when my heater core leaked it was perfect. Came right up pulled the drain plug and washed it out. Looks clean as shit and dont smell like anti freeze
BLACK-KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

^Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5Slowmatic View Post
I dont know what fat mat is but it sounds like a lot of work for almost no gain, stock hondas and acuras with all seats and carpet with factory sound deadening are pretty quiet IMO... but if you wanna do it by all means go for it..
'97 ITR #305
'97 Civic EJ8
'89 CRX ZC Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in