DIY: 96-98 OEM Grill into an Si Grill - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Mayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Default DIY: 96-98 OEM Grill into an Si Grill

After seeing a thread about how an ebay Si-tyle grill would fit, and then the various things we all have done to modify our grills, I thought I'd just take my OEM 98 grill and save a few bones while converting it to an Si-style grill.

Outside of a $3 piece of Gutter Guard I purchased from Home Depot about 5 years ago, the cost was nothing but about an hour of my time. Though quite simple for anyone with even a 1/3rd of a brain to figure out, here's a quick write up with some pictures.

Tools needed:
Small Phillips screwdriver
(1) piece Gutter Guard
Dremel or RotoZip to remove the inner part of the grill (though you could use a saw blade if need be)
Razor blade to clean up your cut marks
Wire snips or wire cutters
Zipties/wire/somethign to hold the Gutter Guard while trimming

Here's how my 98 Hatch looked before the process started:

Now if you haven't removed your grill before, its a little PITA to do the first time. There are 4 screws that need removed from beneath/behind the upper part of the bumper. I removed the grill back in the fall, and never replaced the screws. They just create a headache if you want to remove it quickly in the future. If you have removed it before, just pop off the 5 plastic screws holding it on.

After removing the grill, flip it over and remove the (9) small screws from around the edge of the back. This will remove the painted trim of the grill. You will also need to cut off the tabs or punch out the emblem altogether; this just depends if you want to try and reuse the "H" emblem in the future. I cut it as I already have a handful of emblems.

Now's a good time to take the Gutter Guard and put it over the grill. I suggest using zip ties to hold the Gutter Guard in place while trimming. (Sorry for only getting one side... the other is the same process)

AFter trimming, you'll want to line up the holes and tabs as you will need to cut out some cross pieces of the Gutter Guard so it will mount on when you put the trim back on. I forgot to take a a picture, but its pretty self-explanatory what needs cut/trimmed to put the tabs back in.

Now you will need to cut out the center part of the grill. Remove the Gutter Guard and get ready to cut. I used a RotoZip and cut out the main portion first. I figured it be easier to trim the smaller pieces without fighting the big piece. Once it's out, trim down the the extra pieces with your RotoZip/Dremel. You may have some shavings left over, so trim them off with the razorblade. When done, it should look like this:

Time to put the Gutter Guard back on. Place it back over the tabs and bend the guard around the edges. This will also help hold it in place. Put the trim piece back over it, taking care not to bust nay of the tabs. To help out the re-mounting of the trim, screw in one of the top corner screws. Be sure not to over-tighten it as the plastic will crack. Now work your way around the tabs, sliding them back into their corresponding holes. As you put a tab back in place, screw in the nearby screw. Working opposite corners will help the subsequent screws/tabs go in. After all (9) screws are back in place, make sure all the screws are tightened.

When done, the grill should look like this:

And this is how it will look mounted... ignore the 12+ inches of snow in the background or the snow-caked bumper.... Cincinnati is getting plastered right now and the plow decided to bury the front of my driveway.

All in all, it looks 100 times better than the stock grill and it saved me about $25 plus paint for a grill from ebay. Hopefully that helps someone out and saves you a few bucks. Good luck

Last edited by Mayfieldfour; 02-16-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Mayfieldfour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
endo_bobo

Rep Power: 38 sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to sir_bobos

Good write up but I prefer stock over the mesh look, maybe because they never put the Honda logo on it.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
I also have a cool title

Rep Power: 22 98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!
98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 98CiviCn00b

I love the Mesh..thats what i got on my car but i bought a kit..i wish i woulda did this

+Rep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
waiting to hear from this dude right now bout that tranny. lol...hopefully he will meet me somewhere.
98CiviCn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 26 amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !amperu is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to amperu Send a message via Yahoo to amperu

aww I was totally gonna do that but thought it would look like shit.

Good thing I spent $40 on an aftermarket grill. *cough*sarcasm*cough* lol

Great write up though! rep for you.

Quote:
Amperu is fucking winning. Hard.
Quote:
Is there anything you aren't badass at? Lol
RIP - patprimmer

Last edited by amperu; 02-15-2010 at 07:31 PM.
amperu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

ffdrifter is about to kiss the skyffdrifter is about to kiss the skyffdrifter is about to kiss the skyffdrifter is about to kiss the skyffdrifter is about to kiss the skyffdrifter is about to kiss the skyffdrifter is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

i wonder if the same thing can be done w/ a 99-00 grill...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Back in a Civic, but I still want a hatchabck
Quote:
By 91crxsiD16
fast+good=not cheap
fast+cheap=not good
cheap+good=not fast
Rule number 1 of Car Culture: Unless it's life threateningly stupid, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong.
ffdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Mayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdrifter View Post
i wonder if the same thing can be done w/ a 99-00 grill...
I don't see why not, but since I didn't have one to work with, I didn't add it. IF you try it out and it works, post back in here with some pictures and any additional pointers.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

pictures arent working
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread

Rep Power: 45 E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Send a message via AIM to E. Jeezy Send a message via Yahoo to E. Jeezy

"I dont like talking to car forum people as much as I used to so now I just stick to the picture threads." ~E. Jeezy

"I should have well over 30k posts but d-series.org doesn't take into account, all the shit that I talk."
~E. Jeezy

"I'm so awesome that I quote myself in my own signature."
~E. Jeezy
E. Jeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 drummer87 is starting to learn the ropesdrummer87 is starting to learn the ropesdrummer87 is starting to learn the ropesdrummer87 is starting to learn the ropesdrummer87 is starting to learn the ropesdrummer87 is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drummer87

^what he said
drummer87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

whurr teh pics?

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....

x2?????
spelts-face is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 stiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stiffdogg06

Gezz bad pics after one day... Fail.

434whp/332ftlbs D16Y8 GT3076R 27psi Meth Fed - 2010

2006 Nighthawk Black Pearl Acura TL
stiffdogg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 13 mondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mondo9psi

where the pics huh huh HUH HUH?!?!?!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

No idea why they failed. They should be all fixed now. Sorry guys....
Old 02-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

good stuff , been meaning to do this on my spare time.
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 06:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread

Rep Power: 45 E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to E. Jeezy Send a message via Yahoo to E. Jeezy

Fixed now. Good job.

"I dont like talking to car forum people as much as I used to so now I just stick to the picture threads." ~E. Jeezy

"I should have well over 30k posts but d-series.org doesn't take into account, all the shit that I talk."
~E. Jeezy

"I'm so awesome that I quote myself in my own signature."
~E. Jeezy
E. Jeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

for sure dopeness good write up. but replace the zip ties with screws and washers. But nice work.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

dnice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussie

Looks good, nice write up!
2014 Honda Grom
dnice78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!

good end product, but looks nothing close to a true OEM Si grille

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....

that looks way cleaner then when i did mines! so i just went out and bought 1
spelts-face is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in