DIY EH/EG half radiator in an ED/EF - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Default DIY EH/EG half radiator in an ED/EF

Alright, so my radiator was leaking pretty bad. EF full radiators are hard to come by, well, more hard than halfies...and i couldn't find a very good write up for putting an halfie in an EF. Other than the options of cutting cross member, hood, making custom brackets, blah blah.

This might not be the way you'd do it. But it works, and its a start.

Tools/Supplies needed:
-Basic sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers.
-Some sheet metal to make a bracket out of. That exhaust hanger crap would work pretty well too, but that looks to shitty, even by my standards.
-A dremel, or cut off wheel.
-A drill
-A bolt or screw to hold the bracket in place.
-A friend or two to help, patience, and some food is always nice too.
-Coolant.

1. Jack front of car up, this is especially helpful if you're EF is lowered, saves your back some pain.

2. Make sure car is cool, drain your coolant. Make sure you remove your radiator cap when doing this. It allows the coolant to flow much quicker. Dispose of properly.

3. After coolant is drained, you can then remove your radiator. This involves removing the two brackets that are on the upper sides of the radiator, the upper radiator hose, and lower radiator hose. Also, you must remove the line that goes to the coolant overflow tank, which is located near the drivers side motor mount. I also removed the battery, and my intake, just to get some more room.

After that, you should be to this point.

4. Alright, this is where things start to get interesting, as you can see here, the half radiator is much taller than an EF full radiator.

4. I set the radiator in, where it sat at its lowest point.

This also allows the upper and lower radiator hose to sit in just about exactly there stock positions. So that's a very good plus.

I started looking around, weighing out my options, the tilt just didn't look good at all. Hacking the cross member looked to be a huge pain in the ass.

I decided that cutting a section of the under skin of the hood is where i would start.

I had layed down underneath the car, armed with a light, and had a friend shut the hood, while i marked with a sharpie where the radiator cap, and dowel pin on top of the radiator, were hitting the hood.

From here, i went to town.

This is what i ended up with.

No, im not the best cutter in the world. Im gonna go back and clean the cut up abit. lol.

i had a friend go underneath the car, and hold the radiator in place, to see if it cleared.

SO CLOSE. The support on the hood under the skin was still hitting. Simple solution, cut slits in the side of it, and bend it down.

Voila! It shut fine.

Sweet, that's one obstacle down.

5. Now, you have to make some sort of bracket to hold the radiator in place.

This was pretty easy, i had some about 1 1/2 in sheet metal sitting around, drill a hole in it the size of the dowel on the top of the radiator, bent in two 90 degree angles, of the appropriate height, and drill another hole in the bottom of the bracket. Then drill a small hole in the front crossmember, or whatever you wanna call that piece up front the old brackets for the fullsize radiator used to bolt to, and the hood latch is on. That piece.

Put your bracket on. Make sure the hood still shuts. If it does, move ahead, if not, adjust your bracket.

6. Now, remove that bracket, b/c you have to put your lower radiator hose on. And its not easy.

This part was by far the hardest of the hole process.The stock radiator hose is about 1/8in smaller than the EG radiator hose.

This is how i went about getting it on.

Heat, and lube. And a LOT OF ELBOW GREASE. And time. I used a bit of 5w-30 on my finger, rubbed the inside of the hose, heated the hose up a bit with a propane torch. DO NOT BURN IT, ONLY HEAT IT, just enough to soften in up a bit. Then just start working it, eventually it will stretch a bit, and when it does, hose clamp it. It took two of us to do this, one person holding the radiator, while i shoved that hose on, and tightened the clamp. PITA, but it worked eventually.

7. Once the lower hose is on, its pretty much smooth sailing from here. But the hose on the t-stat housing, apply your hose clamp there. The upper radiator hose didn't go on nearly as hard as my bottom one did, i was able do it alone, with out any issue.

8. Put your bracket back on, to hold the radiator in place.

9. Fill back up with coolant, and distilled water mix. Put overflow tank back on, bleed system, start it, let it get to operating temp, and enjoy!

AFTERNOTES.

There are a couple of this i didn't cover in this write up,

1. A lower mount for the radiator.
Mine doesn't move around that much with only the top mount, so it isn't that huge of a deal. If it is to you, then I'm sure you could fab something up using the stock bracket for the normal full size ef radiator. I'm not gonna worry about mine to much yet.

2. A radiator fan.
Honestly, when i got done last night, it was about 11:30 at night, and i just wanted to sleep at that time, because i was supposed to work today at 8 this morning. Unfortunately, i seem to have caught the flu, so now i'm spending my time writing this HOW TO. Lol. Anyway, i don't think the stock fan is a bolt on thing, the mounting bolt holes dont line up....not that i saw anyway. I'm gonna order a slimfan, and call it a day. The OEM Fans are like 2.4 or 3 inches thick anyway, DO NOT WANT! lol.

3. The overflow tank.
On the stock full size radiator, the line to the overflow runs along the top of the radiator, to the overflow near the drivers side mount. On the EG radiator, its on the the back of the radiator, pointing towards the engine bay, this is inconvenient because it shoots a random line right over your header if you run it to the stock overflow position, and looks super messy. So for now, my line is just ran straight down, to the ground. I hate it, but it got me home last night, I think im gonna order a universal coolant overflow tank, and mount somewhere where i dont have to run a line all over the place. Or find a way to mount the line.

There are other ways of putting a halfie in, i know. But this is the route i went, and it worked fine.

Hope this inspires someone else, this is my first write up. Woot! Rep me if you like it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 4d00rEF; 12-07-2009 at 05:50 AM.
4d00rEF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community

Heres a few for the road....

Ugh, winter has started. All i want for christmas is grip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch

Rep Power: 34 dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dougshatch

looks good mang

My kanjozoku project

dougshatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Nice Write up, thanks.

89s1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Where's the EF?

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

wheres the EG?

thats most likely what the problem was... EG rads and B16 del sol rads use larger rad hoses.

an EH rad shouldnt be hard to get the stock ED hose on.

teeheeheehee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 kmartcivic is learning the way of the Dkmartcivic is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kmartcivic

I personally wouldn't like to hack up the underside of my hood to fit a radiator. But this is not my writeup. And it works for you, and maybe some other people, so props for the DIY. That positive battery terminal doesn't concern you touching your intake?

05 Honda cbr600rr

80 kawasaki kz650 cafe

80 kz550 (girlfriends bike)
kmartcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 05:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

You all need to relax with the Chassis code usage around here. Up until like the past six months, it was "EF, EG, EK, EP, blah blah blah." Now whenever the JDM chassis code is used, everyone freaks out.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d00rEF View Post
You all need to relax with the Chassis code usage around here. Up until like the past six months, it was "EF, EG, EK, EP, blah blah blah." Now whenever the JDM chassis code is used, everyone freaks out.
lol,

There's plenty of bad grammar and misrepresentation on the site, but chassis code seems to be the no no.

On topic, have you noticed if the engine heats up more quickly?
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2e2vin View Post
lol,

There's plenty of bad grammar and misrepresentation on the site, but chassis code seems to be the no no.

On topic, have you noticed if the engine heats up more quickly?
Lol, Chassis grammar police.

This might sound wierd, but i swear it heats up slower. I work about 1.5 miles away from home...and i used to be able to reach op. temp by the time i got there. Now the car is JUST getting warm when i get to work. And i dont have a fan or anything right now. It seems to stay cooler too, but maybe my last radiator was just junk, and this is normal. Idk. But to answer your question, no, it does not heat up quicker.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

just giving you a hard time.. you havent even been on the site for 6 months

what did u do about the drain plug?

i have a friend who some how has an EH rad in his ED, with no cutting to anything, and no lean at all... it mystifies me. LOL
Quote:
Old 12-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Magic.

There is a company that makes half radiators for the EF. I dont remember who it is though.

drain plug is just a bolt, one of the ones with the allen head, so you can put it in flush. Bought it at my local ace hardware.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Classic Man

ah cool.

he cut the "butterfly" off of his so it would fit better. makes it tough to get off but w/e.

i think his is a dual core from a DOHC del sol.
Quote:
Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
1.8 nawz powa

Rep Power: 38 Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews

Im doing this to mine, Ill let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Looks good to me! Although the battery terminal and intake pipe sketch's me out a bit lol.

Had some bad arching events in the past.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Wischmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d00rEF View Post
You all need to relax with the Chassis code usage around here. Up until like the past 2 years, it was "EF, EG, EK, EP, blah blah blah." Now whenever the JDM chassis code is used, everyone freaks out.
Fixed.

And use the correct damn chassis code.

krychek57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 firebane is learning the way of the Dfirebane is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Rad from a EG can fit into a EF without cutting the hood.

All you need to do is cut the lower rad support a bit and it'll drop down low enough. Upper rad hose holds it forward and the lower hose holds it up

The hack the hood trick has been around for quite some time.

firebane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

see, mine must be super tall or something, bc my drain petcock is resting on the crossmember, and the hood most definately wouldnt have cleared.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Or you can run a traction bar with mounting tabs for a half rad. Then it fits like stock

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

I have a dual core half rad and I had to take the webbing out of my hood otherwise the rad cap would hit.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in