Carbon Kevlar/ Fibre Valve cover.. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2004, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Carbon Kevlar/ Fibre Valve cover..

What do you lot think? I have a mate of mine who makes plane moulds from the above mentioned materials and he told me last night that we could easily make a replacement cover for my D15b. Was thinking a nice fat embossed VTEC logo from a H22a with maybe an insert similar to a B16 to hide the plug wires.

Any thoughts???
flatfourfan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 12:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

S Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

do it and take pics

If it comes out good enough, sell them on here
S Q A D is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2004, 01:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesqad127
do it and take pics

If it comes out good enough, sell them on here
Well we're going to give it a go and see how it comes out like. If it does come out good enough and people are interested. I'll give the first one away for free to someone in here.........

Old 10-07-2004, 05:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
pisetup

If you build it, we will buy.
  Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2004, 05:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Rep Power: 24 Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

I would love to see it...DO IT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Honda4VW is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2004, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
reemo_2001

I'd like to see the turn-out sounds like it would look pretty good with the big "vtec" logo.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 hatch-attack is learning the way of the Dhatch-attack is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Heck yeah do it. I would buy a carbon valve cover.
hatch-attack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2004, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
ridin on rotas

Rep Power: 16 gftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gftgrill

yeah I would love one that has a cover for the plug wires so they're not just hanging there.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 the EH is learning the way of the Dthe EH is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

if you build it and make it look good im sure you could make some profit here and elsewhere. how do you think those materials would hold up to oil and heat and such?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the EH is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2004, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisetup
If you build it, we will buy.
Well we are, we sat down last night and looked at the project and it's deff do-able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gftgrill
yeah I would love one that has a cover for the plug wires so they're not just hanging there.
This is going to be the biggest problem, obviously you won't be able to use stock reach spark plug leads and after doing some sums, we can drop the height of the plug wires by about 10mm. This should be enough to have a flush fit cover over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reemo_2001
I'd like to see the turn-out sounds like it would look pretty good with the big "vtec" logo.
We're going with a B-series logo, ( you do afterall want to keep it honda looking) We're just going to change the DOHC to a SOHC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the EH
if you build it and make it look good im sure you could make some profit here and elsewhere. how do you think those materials would hold up to oil and heat and such?
First issue is to make one that doens't leak and that works just as well as the stock one. It'll look good trust me, my mate shoehorned a VR6 motor into a mk1 rabbit and made it look stock. As for holding up against the elements. I'm told that there's nothing to worry about as carbon kelvar/ fibre is shit strong and very resistant to the elements if done properly. only downside is price. That stuff aint cheep. We worked it out and we can make them for about $60.

will keep you lot updated. I'm hoping to we start on it next week.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

$60 for materials is good.... consider that people buy stock valve covers just because they say vtec for $100 on ebay. You could even charge a little more since it's so cool... carbon/kevlar... very slick

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2004, 11:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makku
$60 for materials is good.... consider that people buy stock valve covers just because they say vtec for $100 on ebay. You could even charge a little more since it's so cool... carbon/kevlar... very slick
damn............$100 for stock..........biggest problem over here is that there are hardly any d-series VTEC's mine is the only pre 98 one that I've ever seen over here. So we're going to have to take mine off and mould it first so I can still get around........this is gonna be HUGE.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Dirk-EG

If you're ready I really want one, even if it costs 200 dollars >
Old 10-08-2004, 05:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
ridin on rotas

Rep Power: 16 gftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gftgrill

the biggest problem is going to be the shipping cost from south africa.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
pisetup

Start a list. I know I'm down to purchase one.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 ekny8 is almost a somebodyekny8 is almost a somebodyekny8 is almost a somebodyekny8 is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

make em so i can buy one!!! brilliant idea!!
ekny8 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2004, 08:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

hey, if shipping is going to be an issue... i can be your distributor in the U.S. eh?

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
bspeed

How are you guys going to ensure the carbon doesn't warp with the constant temp changes? second are you going to use a metal base and spark plug tube ends like the b-series carbon valve covers? I am very excited to see a finished product! post them pics as soon as you are done.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gftgrill
the biggest problem is going to be the shipping cost from south africa.
Not really........Pretoria to the states..........R300 about $50, and that's for a 1kg and I put the weight of one at about 500g so we can ship two for that price.

As for the warping issue.......you obviously have no idea how strong this shit is. We did a test this weekend on my car with a 5mm thick base..............and no warpage happened whatsoever. But even before we even consider shipping any to anyone, we're going to try and get someone to test one of these things so we can see what would happen over a long period of time.

We did the auto to manual swap on my car this Sunday, so we couldn't spend that much time with this project. But we're trying to build this so that a stock set of plugs leads can be used. This whole valve cover will be either carbon fibre and or carbon kevlar. We were thinking about doing the base and plug tube ends in S/steel, but we're going to try for a full composite set up first. So from a weight point of view, this thing is going to weigh nothing.

As soon as I have something worth showing to you guys, I'll show it.

cheers
Old 10-11-2004, 11:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Dirk-EG

I'll be willing to test for a longer period of time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in