How to solidify your mounts. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2004, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 Arachnid  is accepted as part of the communityArachnid  is accepted as part of the communityArachnid  is accepted as part of the communityArachnid  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default How to solidify your mounts.

I came across this in one of the Hondaswap stickied aritcles; thought it might be worth something.

http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/inde...howtopic=13781
Arachnid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 the EH is learning the way of the Dthe EH is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

there was a thread not too long ago i think about using M3 weatherstrip(gorilla snot)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 hatch-attack is learning the way of the Dhatch-attack is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

3m window weld from advance. It's like 13 bucks a tube.
hatch-attack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2004, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 Apex001 will become famous soon enoughApex001 will become famous soon enoughApex001 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

$75.00 for Jimfab solid mounts front and back shipped to Cali. I emailed him the other day. www.jimfab.com
Apex001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2004, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Rep Power: 17 kommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunna
Send a message via AIM to kommon_sense Send a message via Yahoo to kommon_sense

I'm planning on giving these folks a call www.smooth-on.com . Looking into their liquid silicone and liquid rubber. It is available in different levels of hardness. Should be able to use it just like the window weld, but I don't want the hard solid mounts that you get with window weld.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
kommon_sense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
bspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommon_sense
I'm planning on giving these folks a call www.smooth-on.com . Looking into their liquid silicone and liquid rubber. It is available in different levels of hardness. Should be able to use it just like the window weld, but I don't want the hard solid mounts that you get with window weld.
hey kommon I had a whole bunch of that clear silicone tub caulking laying around a while back and I filled the mounts in with that, it is way soft compared to the polyurethane (less vibration) but it filled in the mounts and the engine doesn't flex as much, plus it was free... just my 2
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2004, 12:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex001
$75.00 for Jimfab solid mounts front and back shipped to Cali. I emailed him the other day. www.jimfab.com
The mounts you have listed are only the support mounts. And the rear mount. You can buy the ES motor mount insert kit for ~ 45.... I put that jim fab mount kit on this guy's integra and it shook his whole darn car all the time. WAY stiff...
dester223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2004, 07:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

$25-30 for ES inserts, and they are REMOVABLE. Something to think about long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2004, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Steve-O

to clarify, ES makes the mounts for the three lower torque positions (rear engine, front lower tranny and front lower engine)

Prothane makes the inserts for the upper two mounts by the shock towers.

I have the ES inserts and I like them alot. I'm planning to get the Prothane units next spring.

with the ES ones, engine noise and vibration is now transferred to the car much more than when they weren't in there (which is to be expected) but wheel hop in wet weather has been annihilated and engine movement has been minimized significantly

Living the humble dream as an independent shop repair tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2004, 06:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
bspeed

Sidebar, has anyone here seen one of those engine dampers like the Mr.Alex one installed on a D yet?
Old 10-16-2004, 08:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!

Before I say anything, let me say in no way was I trying to be a USE THE SEARCH OPTION FIRST Nazi here

I just did some searching on H-T because the whole engine damper interested me and I found one with pics. Fair warning, as per usual, there are ALOT of opinions for both the inserts and engine dampers (a common plague for H-T).
This thread appeared to have the most replies and also has pics (I used the words engine damper in my search): http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=781875

Unfortunately I wish I could tell or show u what it looks like on a D but I could find no pics and no one I know has one or used one. From reading, there's alot of debate as to whether or not the dampers actually work and also the performance-per-dollar aspect. From what I've seen, these dampers run anywhere from $100-330USD and the poly inserts (which are used with your OEM mounts) cost me about $50CDN for the two lower and rear pieces and probably a similar price for the two upper Prothane ones. Those with cash to burn can buy both to see which one they like more.

One common factor is alot of people talk about excessive engine vibes from the mounts, however there are two diff kinds of poly mounts you can get...the inserts which use your existing OEM mounts (what I have and I now prefer to stick with OEM parts) and the replacement ones which it a completely new mount CNC machined out of aluminum with a solid poly bushing being fused into it. It's common sense that anytime you stiffen up something on your car, engine/road noise and vibr are going to be transferred to the cabin. Many argue that this vibration is bad for the car but I'm sure there's worse things we do to our cars when we race them and so on so it's all relative IMO. It's the whole "sacrifice performance for comfort" argument rearing it's ugly head again and I can't speak for everyone but for me, if I have to live with those annoying little vibrations when at idle (they magically disappear when you accelerate) in order to be able to throw my Civic into a corner at 140km/hr which has a posted 50km/hr limit warning, so be it .

Just $0.02 from someone who has mount inserts and likes them (but can't afford to buy the $300 JDM parts to compare ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste

Last edited by Steve-O; 10-16-2004 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

P.S. If anyone ever gets or has the ES mounts and is going to install them, they come with these shitty little zip-tie fasteners to hold the two front lower inserts together. I utilized a much better and far more stable way to hold them together using stainless steel bolts, washers, lock washers and nuts available from any chain hardware store. Feel free to ask or PM me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste
Old 10-19-2004, 06:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 Apex001 will become famous soon enoughApex001 will become famous soon enoughApex001 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dester223
The mounts you have listed are only the support mounts. And the rear mount. You can buy the ES motor mount insert kit for ~ 45.... I put that jim fab mount kit on this guy's integra and it shook his whole darn car all the time. WAY stiff...
well unfortunatly you need to keep it stiff since you want to put the power down. I have solid mounts but dont mind the vibration. for 75 bucks and have real solid mounts that not a bad buy at all.
Apex001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2004, 10:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
calboi510

i did it the DIY way...

i used polyurethane on the four front mounts (tranny, lower tranny, driver's side, and lower driver's side)

my car shakes...but i can DEFINITELY feel a difference! worth the vibration! i feel the power across the powerband, and when it pulls i can tell. and when vtec engage, i can really hear the difference in the noise level of the intake ( i think that's what it is that changes noise level)

and it works just fine...only cost me like 7 bucks, about 3 bucks for the polyurethane, i had to buy two "things" of it and a chaucking gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in