Homemade Spices. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else D-Series Cookbook

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
endo_bobo

Rep Power: 38 sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to sir_bobos
Default Homemade Spices.

I've started making my own spices and they are way better then the store bought stuff. Way more flavor and better price for what you get.

Garlic powder

Take 4 or so heads of garlic and peel the cloves(the jar trick works pretty good).

Slice thin and place on a tray. Try not to overlap to much. Bake at your ovens lowest temp. Mine goes down to 150.

Bake for some hours(be ready for the wife to bitch you are stinking up the house.) until they are brown and snap in your fingers. Shift it around every now and then.

After it cools put in a blender with some course salt and blend into a powder. Use a old shaker.

If there is any extra break it into smaller pieces for cooking.

I think I spent a little over a dollar for all of the garlic. Just had to put in some time most of which was just waiting.

Feel free to add your ideas.

Last edited by sir_bobos; 10-18-2016 at 11:10 PM.
sir_bobos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2016, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
endo_bobo

Rep Power: 38 sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Ground pepper
Just took black pepper kernels and threw them in a blender. Makes a lot compared to buying pre ground and the flavor pops.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
endo_bobo

I put this in the smokers thread but it applies here. Put some course salt in when you smoke something. Do a couple rounds if you want. Adds a smoky flavor to the salt.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

too lazy....plus have a bunch of store bought to use up first

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!

nice ,garlic powder looks good!

I grow hot peppers ,pick them, hang to dry ,if needed into the oven on low or food dehydrator ,then put in blender , after just put it in a shaker bottle like /\ sirbobos.

Don't touch your face or play with yourself if you handle this stuff ...
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2016, 03:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I freeze a lot of spices and flavorings, the basic procedure is always the same. You toss whatever into the blender with enough liquid to make a fine slurry, then you pour about 1/2-3/4 cup of slurry into a ziplock sandwich bag, remove the excess air and lay it flat in the freezer. You want to make sure you get it thin enough that you can easily snap of pieces once it is frozen. You can do this with almost anything, but here are some of my favorites:

Fresh ginger root: cut off any ugly ends and rinse it, then slice it fairly thin across the grain to break up the long fibers, I dont peel it.

Any peppers: Rinse them, cut off the stems and toss them in, removing the seeds is optional

Jalapenos with lime and cilantro

Jalapenos with red bell peppers and a little orange juice

Onions

Elephant garlic: Either roasted with a little olive oil or fresh, I often have both in the freezer.

Apples, pears or whatever fruit catches my fancy: I like fruit flavors in things, garlic ginger stirfry with some pear flavoring can bring out nice flavors if the fruit isnt overwhelmed.

Pretty much anything you can think of.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoof View Post

I grow hot peppers ,pick them, hang to dry ,if needed into the oven on low or food dehydrator ,then put in blender , after just put it in a shaker bottle like /\ sirbobos.

old boss did this but used a coffee grinder.

uses habanero's we called it devil dust. its damn good. great way to add some heat to whatever your eating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Sounds like i have another use for my dehydrator, i love garlic and the fresher the better.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 Animag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdxude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoof View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdxude View Post
old boss did this but used a coffee grinder.

uses habanero's we called it devil dust. its damn good. great way to add some heat to whatever your eating.
My father in-law does this with mostly jalapenos and sometimes throws in some serranos or habeneros. I think he uses an electric coffee grinder too. He puts it in little mason jars. We call it Gunpowder. I use it in place of Slap Ya Mama. It's really good on pizza. If someone asks me what it is, I will usually keep the lid on and give it a good shake, then open it and tell them to take a whiff. What can I say, I'm mean sometimes.
Animag771 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
endo_bobo

Updated my method. Instead of cutting the cloves individually I figured just cut it across.

The husk in there is fine. It still bakes the same and it separates so you just have to pick it out before grinding. But I have left some in and it's no bother.

I just wanted a quicker way to do this and it works well. It takes a little longer to bake because the pieces are a little thicker but the shorter prep time it worth it to me.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I've occasionally made a garlic paste by first crushing the peeled cloves and then mixing them with oil. I've tried different oils but usually go back to olive. A small splash of white wine vinegar changes it slightly, smoothing out the paste.

It stores in the fridge and can be used for all sorts of things. If you've made too much for your next meal, you can add a couple of egg yolks and a drop or two of fresh lemon juice for a mayonnaise with a suggestion of heat.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
endo_bobo

If you think I forgot about them leftover mushrooms from the ketchup.
https://www.d-series.org/forums/d-ser...m-ketchup.html

Do like normal and dry them in the oven. I did my lowest which is 150 degrees because I don't really know what to do with this. Took longer than normal for all the liquid it soaked in but it got done. If they can snap throw it in a blender and you got a mushroom salt type thing.

Before

After

Haven't done it yet but I bet it's a great add to something like ramen or as a rub.

Last edited by sir_bobos; 11-15-2017 at 03:56 PM.
sir_bobos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in