You're gonna like my butt! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else D-Series Cookbook

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews
Default You're gonna like my butt!

5 lb pork shoulder boston butt
trimmed and rubbed
apple cider diluted with water in the drip pans
cherry wood chips soaked in water
normal charcoal and hard lump mixed
hickory smoke briquits

Holding at 275-280 at end of first hour. Gonna be a long night.

When I put it on.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Looks like I'm about to make another trip to Ohio......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95CivicDOHC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

That little piece was nice although too much salt/heat from the rub but I did over do it using it to clean the tray, LOL!

Nice $18 toy, might get another for the meat!

Cool night, hope they didn't open their windows.......LOL!

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95CivicDOHC View Post
Looks like I'm about to make another trip to Ohio......
Mind you this is my first ever charcoal/wood fuel smoking attempt with a rub.

I am using a Florida based but will add brown sugar later.

If I can't sleep, might as well smoke some butts!

Quote:
Old 09-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Yum yum I want some.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Mind you this is my first ever charcoal/wood fuel smoking attempt with a rub.

I am using a Florida based but will add brown sugar later.

If I can't sleep, might as well smoke some butts!
Oh those late night projects. Always fun. Its 1:19 in the morning and I just sprayed my valve cover with primer. Have to wait till normal people are up to get paint.

95CivicDOHC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

About 4.5 hours at 275, was getting 173-180 internal temps, pulled and wrapped and put back on, 172 internal right now.

The long climb to 195!

Quote:
Old 09-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 ogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcano
ogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Very Nice! How do you deal with the "stall" butts get (i think it around 170's) I know there are many different techniques. My friend and i have our wrapping it in foil.

Except we start at 6 a.m. and it gets done right at dinner time.
ogdougynutty is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

I waited 4.5 hours to check temps....seems I blasted right through the stall!

Right now just using heat, no smoke since they are wrapped, at 181 internal temps. I might have to load up some charcoal to hit the target temp, then chill/rest in a cooler for a bit.

I need another cheap temp gauge, will be getting one soon! Right now I cannot monitor grill temp, just meat internals.

I'm learning. If you know me, it is what drives me.

I might get to be OK/good, no desire to be a Pitmaster or competition BBQ. I'm using a cheap setup and making it work that I can use for other normal grill tasks.

Like my CRX and D15B7 EG HB, I like making one appliance do very well, yet not the best, in many different areas.

The overall winning combo

Quote:
Old 09-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

ogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcanoogdougynutty is hot as a volcano

Don't you just love it when everything just works lol.

But i definitely get where your coming from. My friend and I have just a little rag-tag smoker, nothing fancy but it gets the job done. Puts a smile on the families faces and that is all we are looking for.

We have done like 4 butts total in the smoker. Dont have a formula down yet but we are working on it. But in those 4 time we have hit a stall twice, delt with it 2 different ways but still came out the same in the end. We also starting doing are own sauces for pulled pork sandwiches. It starts getting pretty fun with that to, trying to make a sauce to compliment the marinade
Old 09-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

I doubt I will ever do my own sauce. Use a OTS sauce thinned with drippings is my plan.

Famous Dave's Fire and Spit for the heat or Sweet Baby's Rays for the tang.

About to see shortly, just hit 201 internal while I was in the shower.

Quote:
Old 09-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

What your doing is how we started. Just some bland nothing special bbq sauce, mixed with some drippings. Then just started adding our own stuff, my favorite was that same style but we also added some mango jelly to it. Made a really nice sweet sauce
Old 09-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Grand Slam on my first at bat.

Butt plus drippings, aka liquid gold!

I then added two OTS BBQ sauces, Famous Dave's Spit and fire as well as some Weber sauce, heated aand reduced.

The butt unwrapped minus piece that fell off.....and tasted great!

then pulled only using 1/3 of the sauce reduction, others can add later as needed.

Quote:
Old 09-15-2013, 02:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

The butt just fell apart and wasn't dry anywhere. Using a knife to quarter is was useless.

I'm a rookie to Q so I may not know what REALLY good is. I do know I forgot to buy buns yesterday!

Apple cider vinegar based sauce with tomato sauce, spices and heat, yep, just pissed off all the whole Carolina region. It almost had a watery/spicy Manwich sloppy joe taste to it without even trying.

First test run, a huge winner IMHO.

Quote:
Old 09-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 Yoshimoto1 is da #1 stunnaYoshimoto1 is da #1 stunnaYoshimoto1 is da #1 stunnaYoshimoto1 is da #1 stunnaYoshimoto1 is da #1 stunnaYoshimoto1 is da #1 stunnaYoshimoto1 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Yummy yummy yummy

Yoshimoto1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Looks good
robscrx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

Bone and his good food as always making that grill really useful

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

jvtec8k is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
I doubt I will ever do my own sauce. Use a OTS sauce thinned with drippings is my plan.

Famous Dave's Fire and Spit for the heat or Sweet Baby's Rays for the tang.

About to see shortly, just hit 201 internal while I was in the shower.

Try this rub on your next butt or shoulder, do every thing else exactly the same, except this time use the Sweet Baby Rays original sauce. This combo is guaranteed to make your toes curl!!!!

And don't forget to add the coleslaw to the sandwich!

3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons coarse salt

glenniz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Get your ass out of here with that coleslaw!!!!!

Meat, maybe sauce, bun. Nothing else period.

I have a rub I am using, too salty of me so I will be adding OTS ingredients that are on the side panel to tame it down a bit. I have been asked by the rub maker to submit a sample of the rub when I get it ready.

BBBR Seafood & Barbeque Rubs and Seasonings Source - Butt Rub.com

It is NOT meant to be a HEAVY rub like you see in comp or on TV, just use as normal for home cooking. Lightly dust and go.

Sauce reduction. I made a HUGE error but no one complained. I need to use a fat separator but had no idea it even existed. Think how I tweaked the old D15B7 into D15Beast7, I'm following the same steps.

Doing the EXACT same thing with the CRX, the proven scientific way I guess.

Quote:
Old 10-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Other than family, I haven't serve any BBQ to anyone else....haven't tossed any away either!

I still need to learn how to mod my grill to hold heat better but also get the fire going longer without tending or opening the hood., aka the Minion method.

My plan right now is to a test run before Halloween for cook temps, then do a test cook for the neighbors for their huge (drunken) Halloween party. I just plan to offer a plate or two of meat in exchange of beer.

I made them "suffer" the last time as their bonfire was tainted my by smoke drifting their way.....more like a direct shot, LOL!

I HATE presenting a product in front of people!!!!! Nope, not that salesman style of person....I prefer to stay in the background, honing my trade, and getting good results.

But I have been DAMN lucky at making combo choices be it BBQ when I was 17 or Honda's later...just DAMN lucky!!!!!

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in