Foos Brew - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else D-Series Cookbook

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews
Default Foos Brew

Yes another d-series member traveling down the time-honored path of converting grain, sugar and yeast to beer.

My first crack at this. I picked up a bunch of stuff from a lady on Craigslist who was getting out of it which was perfect for me getting in to it.

My buddy Woody and I took a run up to Raleigh to pick up some soooplies. Good little ride. He's ironing out a couple kinks in his '97 FXD that's been sitting for a couple years - needs a new petcock assembly as it leaks. Well we got our supplies and aside from some asshair in a red Cutlass (crappy new body style) that decided to pass me in my lane and then slam on the brakes in front of me, we had a good little 160-mile round trip ride.

I was going to meet up with K2evin, but he couldn't drag his dead ass out of bed to come get a couple camshafts.

But what did we go up there for?

What kind of soooooplies?

The good kind. This is my first attempt at brewing and I'm doing a hefe weissen because I love that beer and its a pretty easy brew. I'm using 6.6 pounds of wheat liquid malt extract, 1 .oz of Tettnanger hops (full boil) and Wyeast 3056 Bavarian wheat blend.

Steepin some wheat...

Carboy cleaned, sanitized and ready with 2.5 gallons of pure water.

I <3 brewing.

Beginning the wort. Yes, I'm extract brewing right now to make sure I can create beer before trying all grain.

Happy, hungry yeast.

And we have lift off!!

35 minutes to go on the boil and then cool it, aerate it, dump it into the fermenter carboy, pitch the yeast and wait!

I'm going to use a turkey fryer burner next time as my stove just isn't keeping the boil going hot enough. Its a gentle roll but I think it needs to be a little hotter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!

Cooled, aerated and yeast is pitched so now it's fermentin' time!!

|
|
|
Old 07-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 bigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

how much does a small set up cost? my g/f and i want to try this

Old 07-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

My advice is to get it used from someone who's 'parting out'. Basic kit for starting out isn't terribly expensive. I picked up a whole bunch of stuff for $180, but it included 2.5 cases of fliptop bottles, a bottling bucket, 2 glass carboys, brewpot, racking cane, bottling cane, thermometer, hydrometer, a couple aerators, cleaning brushes, a capper, a book, some grain bags and some other stuff.

I priced it all out and it would have been about $450 for everything I have.

You can get a basic kit from Mr. Beer or ebrew.com for $60 to $100. I don't recommend the Mr. Beer kit as it doesn't brew much beer and really doesn't come with anything.

The kit I have was $190 new, plus another $70 for the brewpot, plus bottles, spoon, and so on.

If you already have a 5-gallon pot with a lid its not so bad, but it all start to add up. Your typical batch will cost around $30 for ingredients to brew 5 gallons of beer.

My fermenter is happily bubbling away this morning!

|
|
|
Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Starter Kits

A typical beer kit, a kit with all the ingredients you need to make it, will cost you between $25-45

Be careful it is almost as addictive as boost.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CripTofer View Post
Be careful it is almost as addictive as boost.
You can say that shit twice, lol.

Second batch is in the fermenter.

Getting in the spirit of things. I wish that glass was full of Keiler Weissbier like it advertises but I can't get it here in the states.

And I think I saw CripTofer rocking this little setup. Quite nice especially since my temperature probe had never been out of the plastic so just needed a quick clean and soak in the Star San.

And its happily burbling away next to my first batch. This one is a dunkelweizen and I used a dry yeast this time instead of the liquid smack pack on the hefe. At first I was worried since the Wyeast liquid went to work immediately. The dry yeast (after rehydration) didn't do bubkiss for at least 3 hours and then I gave up and went to bed. However this morning its pushing gas through the aerator more vigorously than the liquid so my concerns were for nothing.

Now the waiting game and time to drink some more beer to up my bottle stock!

|
|
|
Old 07-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 twitch927 will become famous soon enoughtwitch927 will become famous soon enoughtwitch927 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

<<<curious to see what this is gonna taste like
Old 07-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Are you actually going to drink some then Josh? I just moved the hefe into secondary the day before yesterday and will move the dunkel into secondary tomorrow.

|
|
|
Old 07-20-2011, 04:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 twitch927 will become famous soon enoughtwitch927 will become famous soon enoughtwitch927 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

yea i'll try it after you try it lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in