My salmon dinner - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Everything Else » D-Series Cookbook

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 ninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default My salmon dinner

Ive never been a big fan of fish as i hate bones. But during my girls couple of days off, she wanted to take it back to alaska and eat some salmon.

Not many of you should be told how to make salmon, but im gonna write what i did nonetheless.

This recipe is just a standard, foil covered salmon recipe you can look up anywhere, but its getting to be summer, and cook out are getting prevalent. Who doesnt like smoked/ baked salmon?

tin foil of course
i only bought enough for 2 portions, a 1 inch thick cut, bout a foot wide.
pam
butter
garlic
onions
lemon
garlic bread
rice
asparagus

cleaned the fish of scales, pulled out a tin foil that will completely cover the fish while cooking, so just measure as you go, and make sure you hunker those corners down.

I didnt marinate my fish, instead i made the butter/garlic sauce ahead of time so i can just spread it on the fish and let it marinate in the oven. Sometimes its better to let things marinate as they slow cook instead of pre-prepping. makes it so you dont have to bother with the flavor afterwards, and adding salt and pepper.

sprayed pam in the foil and made sure it spread to all corners
placed fish in foil.
splayed and splashed the garlic butter on the fish and added some cut rings of onions and lemons.
fold foil and put fish in preheated 425, let cook for 10 minutes per inch of thickness. overall for a well cooked salmon, dont put in for more than 30-40 minutes max. I had a 1 inch cut so, 1 inch going both ways makes 20 minutes of cooking, but since its in the foil add another ten minutes for foil/heat penetration, then count down the time the fish cooks.

garlic bread, i used a variety of texas toast, with the four cheese.

asparagus- I cut off the ends to length, you dont have to but having them long makes it harder to saute up.

preheated pan with oil, i dont have any olive oil which is recommended to avoid that heavy oil taste or feeling. bring to heat, if you want you can use whatever garlic butter sauce you have left from the fish. put in pan, not on asparagus, add salt and pepper as desired to this as well, bring to heat.

Add asparagus, depending on how crisp you would like your veggies to remain you can lightly cook them for either 3-5 minutes, or for the full ten minute length. They will still have substance after ten, but wont be crunchy.

All in all while this is going on. The rice is cooking and the bread goes in last.

cook salmon till consistency is right, and has a full pink color.

serve hot with choice of drink, with this type of shit people drink wine. I recommend a good merlot, as you are also able to add merlot to your food.

I didnt drink wine though, i drank kool aid.

This recipe is easy to do, and it would help a guy impress a chick if hes trying to cook dinner, vice versa for the girls, Cook this for your dude. It sounds difficult but its not, eat up my friends!!

said results:

88-89'??? crx hf special edition w/zc/z6 H.Comp,4n2 I.H.E,zc tranny w/1st stage street clutch, Si fly wheel, custom dual exhaust(y pipe), H&R suspension w/front to back sway bars,struts,heavy coils, shortshifter. milled z6 head, skunk 2 cam.

new edelbrock mani coming soon.
ninjajp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

The wife and I have the same dish about twice a month, it's delicious! To change things up a bit, marinate the salmon in Very Teriyaki sauce for at least four hours and grill them on the bar-b-q and try some hollandaise sauce on the asparagus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
glenniz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

ladies and gentlemen i have an erection. yes for food. a sad life i live.
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 ninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagle

good add on glenniz, ill keep that in mind,
i have been providing cooked dishes on dso for awhile now, but this was easily one of the best ive prepared. Cooking isnt so intimidating if you are willing to make mistakes. Im a stickler for recipe following, but will deviate once i get the hang. Glad the picture helps motivate some, as soon as i was done, i had my girl take a pic knowing i was gonna bring my latest success in the kitchen here to dso.

Hey glenniz, would i be able to use the foreman grill for something like this? or put it on a REAL grill?

88-89'??? crx hf special edition w/zc/z6 H.Comp,4n2 I.H.E,zc tranny w/1st stage street clutch, Si fly wheel, custom dual exhaust(y pipe), H&R suspension w/front to back sway bars,struts,heavy coils, shortshifter. milled z6 head, skunk 2 cam.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....

During the winter time I use an electric grill and it works pretty well, of course the coals and and wood chips I use when I'm bar-b-qing outside are a lot better.
The foreman grill would work just fine.

Tonight were having Chopino, in Italian it means to chip in. It's a tomato based soup filled with whatever fish the fisherman caught that day. We like it with clams, mussels, chunks of cod fish, scallops, crab and lobster. Damn that shit is good!!!
I'll post some pictures tonight with the entire recipe. It's great with a bottle of wine and some sourdough bread heated up in the oven.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
jew
www.rifftrax.com

Rep Power: 16 jew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via MSN to jew

looks good man. i've got some salmon in the fridge that i'll be doing like this in a day or two.

Quote:
Whenever I pack something up, I take all the trash out of my car and use it for padding. Hamburger boxes, beer cans, whatever...A lot of times I'll even grab plastic bottles and put them in there. It's awesome.

jew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

thanks jew.

we decided that we would do this once a month as well. Maybe ill use the pam on the foreman, that might keep it from sticking if watched thoroughly. That chopino almost sounds like gumbo, ill bet the tomato soup is a nice touch to that age old seafood concoction.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I could eat this stuff every day!! Couldn't afford the Lobster and Crab this time around, a pound of each would have totaled $40.00!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Cioppino Recipe

Ingredients

Seafood
3 pounds halibut, sea bass, or other firm white fish, cut into inch-long cubes
1 large (2 lb or more) cooked Dungeness crab (hard shell) or a cooked lobster
1 pound (or more) of large shrimp
2 pounds little neck clams, mussels, or oysters or all three

Sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion (1 large onion)
1 cup chopped green bell pepper (1 large green bell pepper)
3 coves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 28 ounce can tomatoes
Broth from the mollusks
2 cups red wine
2 cups tomato juice
2 cups fish or shellfish stock
An herb bouquet of bay leaf, parsley, and basil wrapped in a layer of cheesecloth and secured with kitchen string
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup minced parsley for garnish

Optional seasonings: a dash of Tabasco sauce and or Worcestershire sauce

Method

1 Steam mollusks (clams, mussels, oysters) in a small amount of water (about a cup) until they just open. Set aside. Strain and reserve the cooking broth.

2 If using crab, removed the crab legs from the body and use a nut cracker to crack the shells so that the meat can be easily removed once it is served (leave the meat in the shell). Break the body in half, and then cut each half again into either halves or thirds. Keep the top shell of the crab for making stock.

If you are using lobster, cut the tail in pieces and reserve the body and legs for making stock.

Note you can use prepared fish or shellfish stock, or you can make your own. If you are not making your own stock, you can discard the crab top shell or lobster body. If prepared shellfish stock is not available, I would combine some prepared fish stock (available at many markets, including Trader Joe's) with clam juice.

3 Split the shrimp shells down the back and remove the black vein. (See how to peel and devein shrimp.) I found the easiest way to do this, without removing the shell, is to lay the shrimp on its side and insert a small knife into the large end of the shrimp, with the blade pointing outward from the back (away from the shrimp and your hands). Once you have split the shrimp shells, you can turn the knife toward the shrimp, and cut in a little to find the black vein. Pull out the vein as much as you can. You can probably also use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut the backs of the shrimp.

Alternatively, you can shell the shrimps and devein them. Shell-on imparts more flavor; shell-off is easier to eat.

4 In a deep 8-quart covered pot, sauté onions and green pepper on medium heat in olive oil until soft. Add the garlic, sauté 1 minute more. Add tomatoes, broth from the mollusks, red wine, tomato juice, fish or shellfish stock, the herb bouquet, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove herb bouquet. Taste and correct seasoning.

5 Add the fish and cook, covered, until the fish is just cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the steamed mollusks, crabmeat, and shrimp. Heat just until shrimp are cooked (just 2-3 minutes, until they are bright pink). Do not overcook.

6 Serve in large bowls, shells included. Sprinkle with minced parsley. Serve with crusty French or Italian bread and a robust red wine. Have plenty of napkins available, a few extra bowls for the shells, and nut crackers and tiny forks for the crab.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

woooohoooo!!!, now thats what im talking about!! man you shouldve made your own thread putting a gem like this down. Its gourmet creole/cajun food!! gotta love the cajuns for their ingenuity on seafood. Then add the french bread and wine for that bourgeois feel. Nice add on glenniz.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness

want a tip?
Dont use foil, leave the scales on, and put it on a cedar grilling plank. Grill the salmon, and on the same grill about 1/2 way though add the asparagus.

Grill > Stove/oven

Quote:
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgogo View Post
want a tip?
Dont use foil, leave the scales on, and put it on a cedar grilling plank. Grill the salmon, and on the same grill about 1/2 way though add the asparagus.

Grill > Stove/oven
Cedar Plank Salmon Rocks!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 jamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgogo View Post
want a tip?

Grill > Stove/oven
good call on leaving the scales. i dont own a plank, but leaving the scales on and just searing the "bald" side then flipping and lowering heat for the scale side has always worked for me. this lets you cook it slower/longer w/o burning it, and it just forks off of the scales when its done with lots of flavor cooked in.

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." - Patrick Henry
jamato0331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in