My attempt at southernish style home cookin' ... lots of pics inside - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else D-Series Cookbook

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic
Default My attempt at southernish style home cookin' ... lots of pics inside

I cook quite a bit, because it's fun and I love food. However I usually don't think about grabbing the camera ... and I usually don't follow a recipe ... so I haven't really had any material for making a thread ... but this time I thought I'd do both ... sort of. I didn't really follow a recipe ... but I did grab my camera and without further ado I present to you (what will be) dinner for this evening.

On the menu we have:
Sweet and Hot Pork Roast (or pulled pork I haven't quite decided yet).
Cole Slaw
and
Baked Beans

Anyway now what you've all been waiting for ... pics of the process.

(Pics not necessarily in complete order of how the actual process progressed, some of you will notice inconsistencies and give me hell for it I'm sure.)

First a sweet onion and some garlic for the bottom of the crock pot, these will give flavor to the pork and can be used as extra goodies later.

Take this:

Slice the onion and coarsely chop the garlic and line the bottom of the crock pot with them ... thusly:

Then set your pork on top:

At this point I set about making the coleslaw ... the pork was still a little frozen (I'd taken it out of the freezer a couple days ago and left it in the fridge to thaw out a bit).

The veggies:

I only used half of the red onion because it's massive. Anyway shred the cabbage ... there are a couple of ways to do this.

Cheese grater:

Which would have worked a lot better if I had thought of it before I cut the cabbage up.

Or if you are good with a knife:

Cut the cabbage into half inch slices and then chop as finely as you can. This method worked pretty well.

Next shred the onion, again either of the above methods can be used (warning if you decided to use the cheese grater of the onion ... you WILL make yourself cry). The layers of the onion will flake off a bit and you may have to just chop the last few bits of onion before adding them. Finally you will want to use the cheese grater and shred your carrots into the mix. I only used about three and a half of the carrots pictured, but they were pretty good sized.

You will end up with a mixture that looks something like this.

Now onto the dressing:

To be continued ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- Stolen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

I mixed and matched from a couple of recipes I found online and added a little bit of my own twist to it. Anyway what to do with the pictured ingredients:

1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
3/4 Olive oil
~1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp Ground mustard
1 heaping tsp chili powder
~1 1/4 cup mayonnaise (not pictured ... oops I forgot)

1. Sprinkle the sugar over your veggie mixture and mix well.

2. Combine remaining ingredients ... except the mayonnaise in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.

3. Once the above mixture has cooled pour it into a bowl with the mayonnaise and whisk until thoroughly mixed.

4. Pour over veggies.

In the end I ended up with this:

It's hard to tell in the pic but there's more dressing than is really necessary, luckily since I lacked a bowl big enough to hold the veggies I used a spaghetti pot, which happened to have a strainer insert. I transfered the coleslaw to that and put it in the fridge, where it will stay until it's time to eat.

On to the pork roast.

For flavor I used these:

Usually I don't do much measuring but since I may want to recreate this at some point ... or at the very least make adjustments (and give you all an idea of how to make it) I decided that this time I would. My own creation here ... wish me luck.

1 cup apple cider
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper

Hopefully this will get me the Sweet and Hot flavor I am looking for.

Combine all ingredients in bowl ... or whatever container you have handy and mix thoroughly.

Inject mixture into meat ... as much as you possibly can.

Be careful on this step. If you aren't the marinade/flavoring liquid will get EVERYWHERE. Remove the needle from the meat slowly ... it will probably spit at you a bit. Flip meat and continue injecting. When you start getting liquid coming out of the other holes you've poked, or just generally leaking out of the roast you're golden. Pour remaining liquid over the meat if desired.

Once you've completed that process put the top on the crock pot, set it to low and wait 8 - 10 hours. (Pics of this and maybe some in process cooking pics coming later today).

Mmmm homemade goodness.

And now the final piece of the puzzle. The beans:

Ok so I cut a corner with this part. Baked beans take forever ... or a crock pot (and I only have one). I figured that I was putting a lot of work into this already so I was allowed to cut one corner. Next time though ... I'll see about getting another crock pot in the house and doing some homemade baked beans too.

Moar pics, updates, and the results of how it turned out coming later.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 kaace is da #1 stunnakaace is da #1 stunnakaace is da #1 stunnakaace is da #1 stunnakaace is da #1 stunnakaace is da #1 stunnakaace is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

i wonder if the pork is done yet...
I say light it on fire just a little bit, so that it knows you mean busniess.
kaace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 01:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah it's done. I just happened to be really tired right after eating so I passed out. It didn't turn out quite the way I wanted it to, but that's how you learn to cook. I'll have to try again.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in