Electrical problem, lights, cd player etc..help! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Electrical problem, lights, cd player etc..help!

First off, i have a 88 CRX....
....so today i was removing the positive terminal from my battery and the handle side of my wrench touched the metal attachment for some sort of relay (located near passenger headlight).... it got stuck and smoke started coming from both headlights until i pulled it off. so i went to turn on the car and smoke started coming from the ignition so i turned it off. WTF.
so now from a park, when i turn the key so that just the radio comes on, if i press on the brake the radio turns off and the temp gauge goes up to the H.. when i release it goes back down. when i turn on the head lights the temp gauge goes up the H and the radio turns off for a brief moment then comes back on then the car starts to die... now, the car doesnt die anymore but the temp gauge still goes to Hot if i turn on headlights or press the brake.

Anyone have any experience with this?
jfizzzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Also, ive checked all the fuses and theyre good. I also looked at the wiring in the engine bay and nothing looks burnt.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
R2.....Zap Balls

Rep Power: 36 vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vtecduck Send a message via Yahoo to vtecduck

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Even if the wires don't look burnt where you're looking, it's possible the sheathing came off else where in the harness and causing them to short together. Sorry to say, but it looks like it's time to get out the multi meter and start checking and tracing wires.
And if it was up to me I'd have Mods ride his unicycle out and kick every single one of these dumbasses in the nuts.
Quote:
congrats to Mr and Mz Duck!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
now just keep her safe from the 3 'b's
boys, beer, and b-series.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do I miss the civic? Not really the car as much as the power it had

1993 E36 civic replacement work in progress:

vtecduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for the input.. so the smoke from the ignition when I turned the key is going the be the first place i look today.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cicle track racer

dang... no need for that.... short
cicle track racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 21 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

wow never heard of this happening. how much smoke was there i once shorted out a wire and fron the firewall to the fuse it was literally disinagrated. that might have happened and thats why you dont see any short or burnt wires. sorry i could not help more.

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

^^ thanks for the input man, I'm thinking some wires got burnt together from the ignition, I will check it tomorrow after work and let you guys know.. I will definitely be more careful removing the battery terminals from now on out, such a headache.. i hate wiring!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
FAMILY MEMBER #316

rattmann316 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rattmann316

save up for a new car

New Whip: 94 DX Hatch w/ 64k original miles and no power steering.
Xbox Gamertag: Rattmann316
(if you tryin to get moked out in COD4)
rattmann316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

^^ thanks for no help.. already got the family car/grocery getter (bmw). this is my work/play around with car. Funny that because I have a crx that Im automatically young or cant afford something else. lol
Old 07-31-2008, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleman
Save up for a new car
that shit scares me, i allmost burnt down a car because the idiot i was going to buy it from didnt put a fuseable link in line with the gauge pod. The wires literally turned red and i burnt my hand when i ripped them off of the pillar and threw them outside.

there is a cap that goes onto the back of the ignition switch. Check back there you may have something shorted out back there.

Last edited by cervan; 07-31-2008 at 09:01 PM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

so turns out the main ground car was fried, replaced it and now everything is running smoothly again.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
FAMILY MEMBER #316

rattmann316 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rattmann316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfizzzle View Post
^^ thanks for no help.. already got the family car/grocery getter (bmw). this is my work/play around with car. Funny that because I have a crx that Im automatically young or cant afford something else. lol
i meant that the car will prolly have more problems. just cuz you have a beemer doesnt me you youre rich either. hope it doesnt burn down on you while driving.

New Whip: 94 DX Hatch w/ 64k original miles and no power steering.
Xbox Gamertag: Rattmann316
(if you tryin to get moked out in COD4)
rattmann316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmann316 View Post
i meant that the car will prolly have more problems. just cuz you have a beemer doesnt me you youre rich either. hope it doesnt burn down on you while driving.
It runs great now, but of course there will be more problems.. its a 20 year old car. And you're right, I'm not rich. the whole beemer thing is just a front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in