Audio ground help - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
COOOOOOL BEAAANNNS

Chucksta It's a JDM Star Bitches....Chucksta It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Chucksta Send a message via AIM to Chucksta Send a message via MSN to Chucksta Send a message via Skype™ to Chucksta
Default Audio ground help

I had an Infinity 4 channel amp hooked up awhile ago with no audible feedback at the spot where it was grounded.

I took my subs out which where attached to it for about a month. It is now hooked up to my rear deck and soon to be door speakers. However now i can't get rid of this alternator whine, as well as just general feedback.

I introduced another amp to my car, to power the subs. But even taken it out disconnecting the ground and remote i still can't get rid of the whine.

I've googled ground loops which i don't this is a problem- due to the removal of the 2nd amp. I've also googled multiple appliances to one ground or to each it's own and everyone seems to flip flop about that.

Anyone have any advice? Where do you guys ground all your 'ish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Did you run the rca on the opposite side of the power wire? If not, do so.

I've always grounded amps at the seat belt bolt.
Supa Lao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Shoot me!

Rep Power: 45 Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Lao View Post
Did you run the rca on the opposite side of the power wire? If not, do so.

I've always grounded amps at the seat belt bolt.
Exactly what i did and no noise.

GO STEELERS!
Hellhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

I know its a hassel but its the right way to do it. When I did my 4ch pioneer for my mids and highs, I removed all the seating and carpeting and ran all the wire separately to the trunk of the car. All wires are hidden. *wink* I know it seems like a lot of work but it looks great and you really do get less issues from feedback. And check what quality or wiring you're using. I don't use speaker wire less than 10awg and I also solder my connections. (Don't tell me I went overboard I've already gotten that speech) its no different from somebody doing a wire tuck. You want it to look good, right? If you're running speakers off an amp you should use new wire anyways.

But yeah. Check what wires you're using and makes sure you're not crossing signals anywhere.
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
It's that time again

Rep Power: 31 EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ1 SCRAPPIN

make sure your ground isn't to long the shorter the better also you could be getting the interference from bad rca's they can get damaged from pulling on them or being pinched up some where most of the time now days its from goin with some cheap rca's that gets ppl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EJ1 SCRAPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ1 SCRAPPIN View Post
make sure your ground isn't to long the shorter the better also you could be getting the interference from bad rca's they can get damaged from pulling on them or being pinched up some where most of the time now days its from goin with some cheap rca's that gets ppl.
^^^^^even better point. The saying is true, you get what you pay for.
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
COOOOOOL BEAAANNNS

Chucksta It's a JDM Star Bitches....Chucksta It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Chucksta Send a message via AIM to Chucksta Send a message via MSN to Chucksta Send a message via Skype™ to Chucksta

i guess i should've specified some more. I had previously run all the wires properly.
this is what it roughly looks like. all the power wire and fuses are Knukoncepts, two rca's- the 4 channel are street wire, and the subs is a scosche i believe.

the main power line is 1/0, 4 channel is 8 and mono block is 4. Both amps have corresponding ground lines. I think the 4 channel ground is a little less then 3 feet.

I have no alternator noise when the rear deck speakers are connected to the receiver. So i don't believe that it could be coming from that.

I'll try soldering the connectors together. right now they just have the quick connects on.

The seat belt bolt you are speaking of, the one upper or the lower?
Old 07-19-2008, 03:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I've used the lower one as I normally mount them to back of the back seat. If your amps are all the way to the back of the car, I'll find an existing bolt and make sure you scrape off the paint around the bolt to get a good connection. I've used self-tapping screws before, but I don't like to use them too much.

Try and find a shorter ground for that 4 channel. 3' is too long
Supa Lao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

welcome to a honda. alternator noise plagues us. I had to switch to a JL Audio amp to get rid of mine and I do car audio for a living. Sometimes it's everything you have contributing to the problem. Ground as short as possible. Try a ground loop isolator to see if your RCA cables are being a jackass. The other posts here are helpers as well and keep all signal wires away from power wires always
BSchreiber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in