How many amps can I safely draw? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
I survived code 9

Location: an imaginary place where chrome rims don't exist. Oh! Tennessee.
Milano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Milano_Redline
Default How many amps can I safely draw?

I have a stock 1998 honda civic DX.

All I have done to it (electrically) is a set of 55watt fog lights. 55watt/12v = about 4.5 amps x 2bulbs.

I have replaced the stock front speakers with 180watt pioneer speakers and the rear with pioneer 220watt speakers.

Now my question is how many amps can I constantly, reliably draw without causing any harm? How many amps do I have to "play with" for another project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Milano_Redline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

I've heard the stock alternators are in the 80-90 Amp range. If you have access to a clamp-type ammeter, clamp it on your ground wire and see how much current the car draws when running, and with all the lights on. That should give you a good indication of how much you have left.
'90 Mazda Miata - Weekend Fun Car
'04 Toyota Prius - Wife / family car
shifty35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
It's that time again

Rep Power: 31 EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ1 SCRAPPIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milano_Redline View Post
I have a stock 1998 honda civic DX.

I have replaced the stock front speakers with 180watt pioneer speakers and the rear with pioneer 220watt speakers.
is there a amp hooked up to these? cuz if not you dont have to worry about these drawing much more then the stockers if any thing they are useing the same power more efficiently.

as for you ? what else do you wanna run?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EJ1 SCRAPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
I survived code 9

Milano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcano

Nope. There isn't an amp. Infact, I'm using the stock headunit on the car. I just replaced the speakers because I had a ton of gift cards to best buy and one of my stock speakers was blown.

I just want to know what kind of power I have left.

Shifty35...thanks for that tip, I didn't even think about using a clamp style meter! Rep for you!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
COOOOOOL BEAAANNNS

Chucksta It's a JDM Star Bitches....Chucksta It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Chucksta Send a message via AIM to Chucksta Send a message via MSN to Chucksta Send a message via Skype™ to Chucksta

well, if you don't have an amp hooked up you aren't drawing any more power to the new speakers then you were with the previous one. which is like 30 watts or something.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
I survived code 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksta View Post
well, if you don't have an amp hooked up you aren't drawing any more power to the new speakers then you were with the previous one. which is like 30 watts or something.
Gotcha. I didn't know that!

Old 07-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

I've been running 2 3000 watt amplifiers (1800 watts rms/each) in my 89 crx with a stock alternator now for some 8 months. The trick is...2 kinetics in the rear spare tire well. I can jam on it at full bore for a good 2-3 minutes before my speakers want to melt. It will play at normal peoples ears bleeding levels for however long I feel like it. For normal listening or somewhat high volumes get some reserve power like a second battery and you should be fine on a stock alternator for a very long time.

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
I survived code 9

What is the total amp draw from your system?

1800x2=3600/12v=300 amps. That's can't be right.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 redline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

right now i am running three amps not running nearly as much as bizzar but the trick is good batt good wires rem switch relay since the head unit didn't like power the rem on more then two amps
redline7500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 rider5000 will become famous soon enoughrider5000 will become famous soon enoughrider5000 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Wouldn't it be 14.4 volts with the car running. Or charging voltage around that. You have to remember that just about all audio system aren't ran at full capacity all the time. Best bet would be using an amp meter like said above.. If your going to get a big amp just get a cap to smooth out the current draw.

Old -
rider5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in