Component choices - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default Component choices

looking to upgrade a little bit from the coaxials that were sitting in the car when I bought it.

He had some pioneers in the doors and some xplode in the rears.

I'm going to put some component speakers up front and probably push the poineers in the back and use the xplodes for the only thing they're good at, being a paper weight.

Anyways, I'm not looking to spend a lot on this since its just my Beater but here is what I'm looking at right now.

HIFONICS ZEUS ZXI6.5C ($60 shipped)

ALPINE SPS-600C 6.5 ($85 shipped)

MB Quart DSE-216 ($90 shipped)

HIFONICS Info

6.5" Coaxial Component
MAxx Power : 500W
Nominal Power : 2 - 100W
Impedance : 4 ohm
Frequency Response : 60Hz - 30kHz
Sensitivity/SPL : 91dB
Mounting Depth : 2.44"

Alpine Info

6-1/2" polypropylene-mica woofer cone with air-injected rubber surround
woofer fits 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" speaker openings
1" silk dome tweeter
power range: 2-80 watts RMS (240 watts peak power)
frequency response: 70-22,000 Hz
sensitivity: 88 dB
top-mount depth: 2-1/4"

MB Quart Info

400 watts peak (200 per speaker)
Titanium Dome Tweeters with neodymium magnets deliver true life sounding highs
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Frequency Response: 40-32k
Sensitivity: 89 dB
Polypropylene 6.5" woofers
Audio Responding crossovers, make each speaker sound at its best and last longer
Butyl rubber surrounds
RMS Power: 50-120 watts
Crossover Freq: 4500Hz Hz
Crossover Slope: 12 dB/octave (DXD 216 Xover Crossover for DSD216)

Open to other suggestions, but would like to keep it under $100 (ebay pricing)

These will be getting power from a Kicker zx350.4

Specs on it:

RMS Power @ 4ohm stereo: 60Wx4
RMS Power @ 2ohm stereo: 90Wx4
RMS Power @ 4ohm mono: 175Wx2

The other 2 channels are either going to power a 10" sub or maybe the rear coaxials, I have a JL 10w6 sitting in my garage but There is no way that I believe this amp would have a chance at pushing it.

Last edited by xbrandonx; 06-07-2008 at 08:32 PM.
xbrandonx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

another good relatively cheap set of components are the jl audio tr components.
kzoobaggs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I'm a fan of the MB quart products. I've never heard a bad MBq setup. Whatever you do, get rid of those damn Sony Xplodes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AndyP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
nonvtak ftw

Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Grounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
Whatever you do, get rid of those damn Sony Xplodes!
damn right. there dogshit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

D-B-D-D-B-F-K-4G??
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm a fan of the MB quart products. I've never heard a bad MBq setup. Whatever you do, get rid of those damn Sony Xplodes!
I've always been impressed with MB quart stuff. Like I said, xplodes were in the car when I bought it and I'll probably later upgrade the pioneers that will soon be in the rear deck, however I'll have the balance shifted way up front to help push the sound stage back up front and just a little rear fill for the occasional rear passenger in the car.

Also the deck is a sony (non-explode) model and will be coming out when I upgrade the CD player in the SE-R (its got an older alpine and I've got a JVC ADX1 that will be going in there so I can get rid of my FM modulator and have them wired up a little better. Just haven't had the time to get it hooked up yet.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
cpl
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 cpl smells like Boratcpl smells like Boratcpl smells like Boratcpl smells like Boratcpl smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to cpl

I would go for the MB quart

best option listed.

>
cpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

The MBs are pretty much what I've been leaning towards the entire time, just wanted to see if anyone else had any other suggestions before I bought them.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
It's that time again

Rep Power: 31 EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ1 SCRAPPIN

Quote:
x2 get the mb's....an sony is boo boo! dump it fast!

EJ1 SCRAPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!

Rep Power: 32 Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Onatop Send a message via Yahoo to Onatop

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrandonx View Post
The MBs are pretty much what I've been leaning towards the entire time, just wanted to see if anyone else had any other suggestions before I bought them.

i think you already know what you have to buy.

MB's ftw.

Often replicated but never DUPLICATED & NEVER done like D&M Tuning
Onatop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 12 SQSI is learning the way of the DSQSI is learning the way of the D

The Quarts are the best of your list, but since you are taking about your front sound stage you already know more than most and you know the rears are just for fill, so I suggest doing it right the first time and spending a little more on a good set for the front.
SQSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
i shoot stuff

superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to superdewey58

i like alpines

do u live in south florida
Quote:
What happend to the hood? Looks like a fat girl jumped on it.
superdewey58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008, 02:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQSI View Post
The Quarts are the best of your list, but since you are taking about your front sound stage you already know more than most and you know the rears are just for fill, so I suggest doing it right the first time and spending a little more on a good set for the front.
I'm no expert, but I'm not ignorant on the subject. I want something nice, but I'm not wanting to spend as much on the stereo system as I spent on the car, and its going to end up being pretty damn close as it is, haha.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

MBs are on their way. Went with the Discus series, nothing major but easily an upgrade. I assume the best (and easiest) place in the car to install the tweeters is going to be the the door panels around the door handle somehwere?
Old 06-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Components might be the wiring kit here.

For now I'm gonna keep the Sony Head unit in there, one day I'll pull the nissan out and put the new CD player in there but for now they'll run off the Sony HU, kicker 60.4 amp MB quarts Discus components up front, and the pioneer speakers in the doors will be in the rear. Balance will be shifted WAAAY up front so that the pioneers won't affect my soundstage, but for when someone rides in the back they'll have a little bit behind them.

here is the wiring harness I picked up:

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...Kicker_05+CK44

Sometime down the road I'll probably pick up a little mono block amp to power a sub and a dist block but the sony only has 2 sets of RCAs so that will have to wait until I get the alpine out of the SE-R and into the EF. Sadly I think my goal of not having the stereo worth more then the car is going to be blown out of the water.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Look up Pheonix Gold RSD's. Best components you can get for that price.
k4rts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4rts View Post
Too late, MB quarts should be here later this week.

I've begun to run the wiring, the amp will sit under my passenger seat since I've just noticed a little bit of water getting in my trunk I decided it wouldn't be smart to put it there. So I should have plenty of wire to reach since its not going very far. I ran the RCAs and Remote last night, hopefully I can get the power wire ran tonight, I found a grommet with nothing going through it, hopefully that will work so I don't have to drill anything out. I'm going to leave enough wire under the seat so that I can pull the amp out from under it and sit it in the backseat to have plenty of room to adjust it without having to work under the seat.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
It's that time again

Rep Power: 31 EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrandonx View Post
Too late, MB quarts should be here later this week.

I've begun to run the wiring, the amp will sit under my passenger seat since I've just noticed a little bit of water getting in my trunk I decided it wouldn't be smart to put it there. So I should have plenty of wire to reach since its not going very far. I ran the RCAs and Remote last night, hopefully I can get the power wire ran tonight, I found a grommet with nothing going through it, hopefully that will work so I don't have to drill anything out. I'm going to leave enough wire under the seat so that I can pull the amp out from under it and sit it in the backseat to have plenty of room to adjust it without having to work under the seat.
nice good choice!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
It's that time again

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4rts View Post
i do like phoenix gold have that set in my accord but the mb's are better!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 AM   #19 (permalink)

I have all the wiring ran except for putting the power wire through the firewall and putting the speaker wire through the doors.

Both seem like they're going to be tasks, and maybe the hardest cars I've ever done.

Anyone have any advice on running speaker wires to the doors on an EF? I really hope I don't have to remove the dash to be able to get it them, on the passenger side it looks as if the taking the glove box out should be fine, but the driver side doesn't look like it will be reachable at all. I'm almost tempted to just use the current speaker wire that is already ran from the head unit and say to hell with my 16ga wiring that came in my wiring kit.

Also, sadly the remote wire doesn't work on that sony CD player so for the time being I'm going to just route it to a different ACC source until I can get my alpine out of my SE-R, which I do know has a good remote wire. I also considered throwing a toggle switch on there and using the power antenna motor, which did turn the amp on.

MB quarts came in as well, can't wait to get everything finished, although it will probably have to wait until this weekend.

Also when I got the stereo out whoever installed it decided that a wiring harness was too much (what like $7-8?), and also thought wire connectors were also too much. So the harness was cut off, and everything was just twisted and then taped together :rolles eyes:. Luckily I had plenty of Push-on terminals (I like using these for ease of changing things up, plus if you have wire it incorrectly its easy to swap it over) so I cleaned all of that up. The wires were pretty nasty looking so sadly I lost an inch or so of wiring to clean everything up, but there was no way that I was going to re-use them. They were rusty and brittle. I'm surprised the speakers weren't cutting out or just the head unit in general was losing power. Well worth it though since everything was already out.

Last edited by xbrandonx; 06-18-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Here are a few pics of the equipment, didn't get any further on the install tonight though. Hopefully I can finish it up this weekend.

Amp and wiring mess that I'll get cleaned up when I'm closer to being finished.

The components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in