Got a new hatch, sound sucks. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aramsey80
Default Got a new hatch, sound sucks.

I have a 99 cx hatch. Put a alpine cd player in and the car already had sony 4way speakers in it 5 1/4. The sound is horrible. What do you reccomend? Also the car only has 2 speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

i never buy sony sound equipment and i have a alpine in my car also...puts out good sound to my kickers and JLs....Pioneers good too... get acheapy amp to throw on the 4 speakers so you dont strain the radio and your set.
FeelinKoopish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

freon480 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to freon480

99's use 5 1/4?

NEW UPDATE INCLUDING BISIMOTO LEVEL 3 CAM!
freon480 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all
Send a message via Yahoo to 89lxcivic

what about panasonic..pics plz..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<3 my ED
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
civic sedan
<<PoSt WhOrE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGC89
is when you show a honda hater the car, they get all defensive and try to tell ME, THE OWNER, that first gen tegs came with the rectangular headlights. you just laugh at them and tell them to go drive off in their kia.
Quote:
Step #1 you already failed.
89lxcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....

I have the stock speakers still in my car and it bangs better than most peoples "premium" brand speakers. But there is definite room for improvement. The only reason i'm gonna be replacing them is because the rears are starting to crack up under heavy bass and they are 11 years old.

SOLD

...Gone back to the Chevy world again, but i'll be back behind the seat of a Honda again someday
Koots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all

thats exactly what i was talkin bout from my sound thread the stock speaker..where would i find them at..can i get them from napa?

<3 my ED
civic sedan
<<PoSt WhOrE:

Quote:
is when you show a honda hater the car, they get all defensive and try to tell ME, THE OWNER, that first gen tegs came with the rectangular headlights. you just laugh at them and tell them to go drive off in their kia.
Quote:
Old 05-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lxcivic View Post
thats exactly what i was talkin bout from my sound thread the stock speaker..where would i find them at..can i get them from napa?
go to stereo shops that do installs...i went the guy said hed givem to me for free but i never went back
Old 05-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am not sure what size speakers i need. The ones i have now are 5 1/4 but i dont think they are right. Rear has no speakers. So a amp with 4 total speakers is the answer? Is the amp needed for good sound? I thought my cd player has 50x4 watts, Still use a amp?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinKoopish View Post
go to stereo shops that do installs...i went the guy said hed givem to me for free but i never went back
i know a place but its high price..but i have no other choice..lol..

<3 my ED
civic sedan
<<PoSt WhOrE:

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramsey80 View Post
I am not sure what size speakers i need. The ones i have now are 5 1/4 but i dont think they are right. Rear has no speakers. So a amp with 4 total speakers is the answer? Is the amp needed for good sound? I thought my cd player has 50x4 watts, Still use a amp?
If you have a 4 channel stereo it is capable of operating 4 speakers (front-left and right, rear-left and right). you might have to wire the rear speakers in yourself. that means from the stereo, under the carpet or behind trim panels all the way to the rear. It is not hard, just time consuming and you work in cramped areas. I hate wiring, but it is do-able if you can wire a stereo up yourself.

SOLD

...Gone back to the Chevy world again, but i'll be back behind the seat of a Honda again someday
Koots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 04:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 06:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I would go with a set of components up front and a nice 2 channel amp. But if you are on a budget, I'd throw some 6.5 alpine type s speakers in the front and run it off the h/u. I wouldn't even worry about adding in rear speakers for rear fill.
Supa Lao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 d16rice smells like Boratd16rice smells like Boratd16rice smells like Boratd16rice smells like Boratd16rice smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

It's the 5.25 speakers, they suck.
When I was redoing the stero in my hatch, I went to a bunch of stores looking for those speakers and couldn't find any that sounded good.
Even the cheap $12 6.5" speakers sound better than expensive 5.25's.

I ended up modifying the doors to accept 6.5's and getting infinity component speakers.

Here's a DIY I did on modifying EK doors for 6.5" speakers, I hope it helps you:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1319928

d16rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Will Do Handstands For Pussy!!!

Rep Power: 22 JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMek

If you want some good lightweight LOUD speakers go with infinity kappa's..they are great.

JDMek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

badass thanks guys.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
It's that time again

Rep Power: 31 EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ1 SCRAPPIN

sonys garbage dont ever waste your $$$ on any sony car audio!

EJ1 SCRAPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lxcivic View Post
i know a place but its high price..but i have no other choice..lol..
i should of worded that better...tell them you want the factory take outs and theyll usually give you them for little or nothing if you just want to go back with factory speakers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramsey80 View Post

that is peak, RMS is the number you look for, its usually around 20-25 wtts RMS....RMS basically means what the radio can push without straining or distorting the sound by going into higher volumes....

so if you run an amp thats 40x4 RMS thats what the speaker is getting...and if you look up the RMS of most decent speakers they require 25+ which is straining the radio....
Old 05-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koots View Post
If you have a 4 channel stereo it is capable of operating 4 speakers (front-left and right, rear-left and right). you might have to wire the rear speakers in yourself. that means from the stereo, under the carpet or behind trim panels all the way to the rear. It is not hard, just time consuming and you work in cramped areas. I hate wiring, but it is do-able if you can wire a stereo up yourself.
theres a easy way to hookup the amp without running wires if your just doing a mild system....
Old 05-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

panda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMek View Post
If you want some good lightweight LOUD speakers go with infinity kappa's..they are great.
yep infinitys are the shiznet i have some and my cousin has some you can hear them over his 3 15's and they are clear as hell.. you have to run them off of a amp tho..

panda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

I put some 6 1/2 infinity kappa's and two 6x9's in the back and it sounds great. Thanks for the help. BTW the car is already prewired for speakers in the hatch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in