Having a streak of bad luck (Amp issues) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series Champ

Rep Power: 15 4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4drturboD Send a message via Yahoo to 4drturboD
Default Having a streak of bad luck (Amp issues)

so in the last 2 months i've had 3 subs and 3 amps all shit out on me. i just spent the money on a new alpine type s 12 and it lasted me less than 10 minutes. i had sound then it locked up, then the amp got really hot afterward. my amp is now wasted i'm sure. getting a replacement sub tomorrow, need a new amp any body got any good recommendations for an amp to run a 12", 4ohm, dual voice coil, 300 watt rms, sub in a sealed box. i don't know anything about most of the newer stuff on the market.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4drturboD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series Champ

Rep Power: 15 4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness

any opinions on this one?
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...MRPM500&tp=115
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drturboD View Post
The real numbers you need to worry about.

# 250 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (400 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)

# fuse rating: 30A x 2 = 60A draw

To be honest that all sounds quite weak with a lot of drain on the alternator

krychek57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

don't buy another amp until you figure out what is wrong with your setup or user first.

Pics of your wiring to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
don't buy another amp until you figure out what is wrong with your setup or user first.

Pics of your wiring to begin with.
True, having that much bad EQ that quick sounds like other issues

krychek57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series Champ

i've done quite a few setups in the last 10 years. i'm not worried about my wiring at all. this is one of the smaller apps i've done though. mostly it's all been because i've been using ancient second hand hardware of unknown origin. i've decided to actually just buy all new now and be done with it. oh and with the motor swap comes a higher current alternator, so that's only a temporary concern.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Is your box within spec for the sub? Does the amp or your radio have a "bass boost" setting and your using it? Are you having to turn up all the bass on the radio to make it louder? It sounds to me like you need a new box or your trying to over drive the sub with distortion. Distortion is the #1 killer of stereo equip.
cvic90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

the mrp-m500 is a nice amp, we just hooked one up tonight on a single mtx 5500 12 and it beat the shit out of the sub. definitely small but mighty. It would be plenty for that sub. We also ran one on a type r ten in a crx and I was pretty impressed. we had it in a pro box super bass box.
cody08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Just to let you know i think crutchfield is WAY over priced.

try this site out. they had the amp you showed up above for 149

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19251
Header
Magnaflow catback
Motor mount inserts
Ex tranny
Tokico blues
H&R race springs
Skunk2 camber kits
Motegi ff7 17" rims
98LXBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98LXBoy View Post
Just to let you know i think crutchfield is WAY over priced.

try this site out. they had the amp you showed up above for 149

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19251
it may be cheaper there, but you cant get any warranty from that place unless they give warranty through their company. Most companies which alpine being one of them dont authorize internet sales and wont warranty anything sold on most internet site. Crutchfield is the only online site that I know of that is an authorized internet dealer.
cody08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 08:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series Champ

i was just using the crutchfield link for the pic and the specs. i picked up the amp and warrantied the sub. put it all in and it beats like hel,l and is one of the cleanest sounding setups i've had yet.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

I'll vouch for alpine products I've been running a full alpine setup in my car for a little over a year now and no problems at all. Sounds really nice too.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 03:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Can someone explain how a higher output alternator helps a sound system and does it affect other components of the vehicle?
1.5FighterSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5FighterSpecial View Post
Can someone explain how a higher output alternator helps a sound system and does it affect other components of the vehicle?
it's not gonna make perfect sense if you don't understand electricity. everything in your car draws a certain current. amplifiers generally draw much more current than most automotive systems or accessories, at higher volumes. a larger alternator serves to feed that extra current to the system so when, for example, your subs hit a really loud low note they don't drain your amp of power and get quiet due to a lack of flow coming in compared to what's going out. there's more to it but that's the basic idea. it's similar to having your kitchen faucet on half way vs. having it on all the way, and another tip if you run bigger power and ground wires it's like getting a bigger faucet to allow more flow.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Goodluck with the system setup. Hope you find the issue.

Block - Z6, Eagle h beam rods, SRP 9.1 pistons.

Turbo s/u - Turbonetics T3 .48 a/r, log mani, 2" dp, HKS BOV, 35mm tial wg, 2.5" thermal catback, rc 1000cc, 68mm tb, skunk 2 im, walbro 255, venom fr, aem wideband.

Trans - Z6, ACT 6 puck with extream pp, ACT street light fly.

ECU - Hondata s300

New e85 dyno # - 324.6whp & 252tq @25lbs of boost.
vulocity22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in