just a 12v lamp when running!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cool just a 12v lamp when running!!

just that, I want, let's say, a 12 volt lamp to turn on ONLY when the engine is ON. I'm still looking for it!!
cbarg2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
d-series resident crybaby

Rep Power: 14 3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

huh?

Wire a 12v lamp to an acc switch and ground voila! your done!

/Thread
3rdgenhatchdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

no, if I do that the lamp will light on even when the key is on acc. I want it to turn on ONLY when the engine is on, not when I put the key in acc.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

relay off the windshield wiper or heater fan circuit.

Also a power tap on the fuse block.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
relay off the windshield wiper or heater fan circuit.

Also a power tap on the fuse block.
All he would be doing then is hooking it up to and ign circuit. He would be better off hooking it up tp ign off of key cylinder.
kzoobaggs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

why would he want to do that, He stated he only wants the bulb on when the engine is "ON"

Even my idea wouldn't be 100% effective. Oil pressure idiot light would be. Simple relay setup would be needed. You could also tap into the alternator charging circuit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 4gExpress

How about fused off the ignition wire? I seem to recall in remote starts you'll get around 12 volts at crank and then up to 14 or so at run... I'm really interested in knowing how you'd do this... for future reference...

Only problem is you'd have to get to your ignition harness under your steering wheel... not really that hard to do if you know what you are doing... and if you have the right tools... Good wire strippers, a nice thick pick and some good electrical tape. Zip ties rock...

What kind of vehicle do you have? The schematics aren't too hard to find...
4gExpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 03:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

can't use the ignition harness.

It will be "hot" in the on position no matter if the engine is runnign or not.

Oil pressure switch is is for now, NC relay. When low pressure would complete the circuit (dash idiot light on) the 12v bulb would be off. Simple inverse circuit of the oil pressure idiot light.

Quote:
Old 03-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough

Quote:
can't use the ignition harness.

It will be "hot" in the on position no matter if the engine is runnign or not.
The main wires used during remote starter installation are Constant, Accessory, Starter, and Ignition. Constant displays 12 volts no matter what. Car off key in pocket. That is the only wire that is constantly hot. Accessory, as i'm sure you know, will give 12 volts in the on, during crank, and in the run position. Starter will give you voltage during crank only. Now the ignition wire...

The ignition wire will only give you voltage at crank and run. There's no point for it to give voltage any other time. Not in accessory and not constantly.

"... Ignition wire
This wire supplies power to the vehicle's ignition system and fuel pump, it shows between 10 and 14 volts with the key in the RUN and CRANK positions of the key switch. Some vehicles have more than one ignition wire; all ignition wires should be connected when installing a remote starter. Use relays for connecting additional ignition wires."

Last edited by 4gExpress; 03-27-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect
Send a message via AIM to 4speedpride

there is power at the ignition wire wether or not the engine is running. say you turn your key to the "on" position. there is power at the ignition wire, even though you didnt start the engine

*1990 EX 4dr*
B18C1 w/ CTR pistons, B16 head, skunk2 valve springs, crower stage 3 cams and CBR1000 Throttle bodies

*1993 LX 4dr*
H23A1, QSD H2B kit, GSR trans, log mani, HX35, 27x7x2.5 FMIC, 2.25" ic piping

My ride thread:

:bravo:
4speedpride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

I'm still winning

Quote:
Old 03-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
10 second daily driver :)

Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

The only real way to do this is using a relay off the oil pressure sending unit, any thing else the bulb could be fooled to be on when the motor stalled.
10.7 @ 137.97
1990 CRX Si D16Z6 305/265 @ 22 PSI (SOLD)
11.6 @ 118
Boosted91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series WTF?!?!

Rep Power: 21 MiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcano
MiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MiloReaper87 Send a message via Yahoo to MiloReaper87

U COULD HAVE A SWITCH (grr, noob onboard) :P
Check my photography

CAUTION: Remoer and myself may
on a verbal war
MiloReaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 lastresort576 will become famous soon enoughlastresort576 will become famous soon enoughlastresort576 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to lastresort576

um once u start ur engine flick a switch to turn light on? and im serious he didnt disclose whether it had to come on automatically...

damn u ^^^methats what i get for slow posting! lol

Want to get into Road Racing or Auto-x perhaps? Check out this SCCA book:
lastresort576 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
I'm still winning
Fortunately for me It's not a contest... I honestly have no clue... just bringing up questions... It's the only way I'll learn...
Old 03-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

I was thinking to get it from the alternator, I know there's a pin on the ECU (I think pin A16) that gets something from the alternator but I'm not sure if I can use it.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

What about the cooling fans?? they are on after the engine is off, right???

Coming back to the alternator: the output of it is much higher than 12v. In fact, how much it gives? and how variable is it?
Old 03-29-2008, 02:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

no, the fans shut off when key is turned from run position

Quote:
Old 03-29-2008, 03:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

How about wiring in a vocal greeting every time you enter the car while you're at it?

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 04:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 20 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules

tap for power from the injectors... lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in