electrical help - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default electrical help

Here 's the problem: 95 Honda ex with the stock d16z6

The honda will idle fine. When i turn my lights, heater or radio on it starts to lose voltage at the battery. Im an electrician so im not stupied about this. My battery is brand new, Just bought it. My alternator is also brand new. I just bought it too. If i unhook the positive side of the battery while the car is running It still runs. But if i turn the lights on or anything else it dies completley. Im guessing i have something going ground somewhere. Or is there anything else i need to try. Any ideas would be helpful.

Last edited by banshee_rider95; 03-10-2008 at 02:05 PM.
banshee_rider95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
FAMILY MEMBER #316

rattmann316 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rattmann316

not to be a dick, but just cuz its brand new doesnt mean its gonna work properly.

what voltage does it drop to when you turn on lights, etc.? can i get a voltage when idle, when each device is turned on, and when the vehicle is off?

what was the last thing you did to the vehicle? have you tried an idle current draw test yet? (see my sticky)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Whip: 94 DX Hatch w/ 64k original miles and no power steering.
Xbox Gamertag: Rattmann316
(if you tryin to get moked out in COD4)
rattmann316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Its cool. At Idle it drops about 1/2volt for every thing i turn on at first, but then it just keeps on droping till it dies. My alternator pulls 14.4 volts with the battery unhooked. If the car is turned off it does about the same 1/2 volt, it might last for 5mins then its dead. If i let the car idle for 10mins with every thing off the alternator will charge the battery up to about 13.6. Im 99.9% sure its not the alternator is not the problem because the old one that i just took off tested good at advance auto. And this is actually the oringnal problem. THanks for helping

Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry I cant do the amp draw tonite. I most have blew a fuse in my meter awhile ago..I will pick one up tommorow at work and get u that test tomorrow nite
....Any thing else to try??

Last edited by banshee_rider95; 03-10-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

ELD maybe?

Electric Load Detector

I'm no EE, just throwing out ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4speedpride

sounds like your voltage regulator isnt working the way it should.

*1990 EX 4dr*
B18C1 w/ CTR pistons, B16 head, skunk2 valve springs, crower stage 3 cams and CBR1000 Throttle bodies

*1993 LX 4dr*
H23A1, QSD H2B kit, GSR trans, log mani, HX35, 27x7x2.5 FMIC, 2.25" ic piping

My ride thread:

:bravo:
4speedpride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Do u know how to check if thats the problem?
Old 03-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Im only drawing 12.2 on my amp draw test... how do i test the ELD? And where is it at?? Im at a loss here, I dont know where else to look
Old 03-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
FAMILY MEMBER #316

12.2 amps with the vehicle off?? could a relay be staying open?

Old 03-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

im not losing any voltage over nite. I might of had the meter on the wrong setting... I think i used 20m on the meter. I only lose voltage when i actually turn something on. Like my lights. Another thing....If my car is running and i disconnect the positive side of the battery my car still idles , but if i turn anything on it cutsoff. I did notice that i need a new alternator belt. Do u think the belt could cause this????
Old 03-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
FAMILY MEMBER #316

as i see it:

there is enough current to start the vehicle and let it idle. (car battery can hold a charge)

when any current-drawing device is turned on, car dies. (since an alternator is rated in amps, it "regulates" how much current can be used safely in a vehicle.)

so...if you draw more current than the alternator can produce, it comes from the battery. and since the vehicle dies when almost anything else is turned on, im assuming the alternator cannot produce its rated output and almost immediately relies upon battery power...the exact reason why you need an alternator to begin with.

my first conclusion is that maybe the alternator is defective in some way. i think it would be easier to distinguish the problem if you can find a replacement battery and swap it first. just my opinion

Old 03-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect

even if the battery is completely dead, if the alternator was good the car would run regardless of what you turn on. so basically the altenator isnt charging for one of 2 reasons: ELD or bad internal voltage regulator

*1990 EX 4dr*
B18C1 w/ CTR pistons, B16 head, skunk2 valve springs, crower stage 3 cams and CBR1000 Throttle bodies

*1993 LX 4dr*

My ride thread:

Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

This is my second alternator. THe first one tested good when i took it off the car. The battery is brand new. How can i check the Eld or internal voltage regulator???????
Old 03-12-2008, 03:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
FAMILY MEMBER #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee_rider95 View Post
This is my second alternator. THe first one tested good when i took it off the car. The battery is brand new. How can i check the Eld or internal voltage regulator???????

if the voltage regulator is bad, it will allow more than 14.4v to be generated. the regulator actually restricts voltage so you dont fry all your electronic shit in the car. you can measure that at any constant b+ source (ie...white wire under dash or whatever).

as far as ELD...google it?

Old 03-12-2008, 04:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 24 Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!
Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!Atmosfear is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

ELD cannot be tested. You can test all the circuits leading up to it though, download a free factory service manual, it will tell you how to do it, and they are floating around everywhere for free. As far as the ELD, the only way to know if it is bad or not is to replace the main fuse box (in the engine bay, the ELD is built inside of it) with a KNOWN good one.
Atmosfear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmann316 View Post
if the voltage regulator is bad, it will allow more than 14.4v to be generated. the regulator actually restricts voltage so you dont fry all your electronic shit in the car. you can measure that at any constant b+ source (ie...white wire under dash or whatever).

as far as ELD...google it?
no, a bad voltage regulator can either allow an overcharge or undercharge

*1990 EX 4dr*

*1993 LX 4dr*

My ride thread:

Old 03-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
FAMILY MEMBER #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4speedpride View Post
no, a bad voltage regulator can either allow an overcharge or undercharge
i learned differently at hondas ohio training facility. the idea of the regulator is to prevent too much current/voltage; kinda like a wastegate in a turbo setup.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yeah so i think i figured it out....I feel like an ass. I think the belt was so worn that it was sliping on the pully.. I just changed that today and it seemed to be working fine.. Go ahead and make fun of me
Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee_rider95 View Post
Yeah so i think i figured it out....I feel like an ass. I think the belt was so worn that it was sliping on the pully.. I just changed that today and it seemed to be working fine.. Go ahead and make fun of me
I would, but I made $30 "green" for changing an alt belt on a geo metro because it was worn out. Took me 10 minutes, no one was paying attention and just BSing. Geo Metro belt was easy!

That was spring 2004, the "green" lasted until spring 2007......not printed on paper

His Geo would charge fine witout the headlights on, but going home at night it was JUST enough to kill the battery so it wouldn't start the next day. If he could roll start it, it would be fine to get to work and MAYBE the drive home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in