Upgrade my alternator? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4gExpress
Default Upgrade my alternator?

So, on my quest to find a high output alternator for my vehicle I run into the Advance Auto associate. He tells me that upgrading my alternator can/will fry my ecu. I thought that was a little weird. Unless a higher output alternator puts out more than 14.8 volts, there shouldn't be a problem should there?

Next stop, Mr. alternator repairman. He tells me the same thing.

The company that makes the alternator made it specifically for my motor and say there won't be a problem...

Why would a higher output alternator have any effect on my ecu? Alternators should all run at the same rated voltages right? Someone please clarify this for me.

Thank you.
4gExpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

Your alternator repairman and AA associate are idiots.

Yes, alternators give out the same voltages. Higher output ones are just able to crank out more amperage. The ECU wouldn't fry itself unless it somehow draws more current in via a short somewhere or hardware incompatibility(like using PnH injectors on a saturated ECU). Also, anything coming from the alternator, battery, etc. would blow the fuse for the ECU.
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that answer. I knew that sounded a little fishy to me.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 alEXej8 will become famous soon enoughalEXej8 will become famous soon enoughalEXej8 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Yea and to simplify what K2e2vin said, when you upgrade your alternator, you increase the amperage(output) of the alt. not the voltage. SO no an improved alt will not hurt the ecu.

BTW 4gexpress, i'm just restating it for people that didn't understand the pther response. I knew that you knew what he ment.
alEXej8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by alEXej8 View Post
Yea and to simplify what K2e2vin said, when you upgrade your alternator, you increase the amperage(output) of the alt. not the voltage. SO no an improved alt will not hurt the ecu.

BTW 4gexpress, i'm just restating it for people that didn't understand the pther response. I knew that you knew what he ment.
Cool man. Everyone needs to know...
Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

How much bigger of an alternator can we get for 91 civic.
wilrace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2e2vin View Post
Your alternator repairman and AA associate are idiots.

Yes, alternators give out the same voltages. Higher output ones are just able to crank out more amperage. The ECU wouldn't fry itself unless it somehow draws more current in via a short somewhere or hardware incompatibility(like using PnH injectors on a saturated ECU). Also, anything coming from the alternator, battery, etc. would blow the fuse for the ECU.
You got it sunshine!

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect
Send a message via AIM to 4speedpride

and just to clarify, and alternator doesnt crank out amps per say, you can only draw from them what they are rated

*1990 EX 4dr*
B18C1 w/ CTR pistons, B16 head, skunk2 valve springs, crower stage 3 cams and CBR1000 Throttle bodies

*1993 LX 4dr*
H23A1, QSD H2B kit, GSR trans, log mani, HX35, 27x7x2.5 FMIC, 2.25" ic piping

My ride thread:

:bravo:
4speedpride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilrace View Post
How big is your wallet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

oh yeah, two words that mean ALOT........

VOLTAGE REGULATOR

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilrace View Post

Ohio generator make a 160 amp alternator I believe for the d series.
cody08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2008, 11:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

OG for and OG Civic wirh an OG setup?

Yes they do.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in