help a noOb. p4 640 OC. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Default help a noOb. p4 640 OC.

you get nothing!

Last edited by icarusdown; 04-08-2009 at 08:30 PM.
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4gExpress

God am I glad I don't OC anymore. I got sick of running into problems. Good luck to you though. I know you must be pulling your hair out right about now.

Check out this site if you haven't already. I used to post here all the time.

http://www.ocforums.com/
4gExpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Try it with just one pair RAM
Moonlapse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness

just attempted with 2x1GB only in single channel.
no good.
tried turning off all the other bios features that might interfere with OCing as well.
Still not able to get over 220.

anything else I should be looking for?
My system only says 'Overclock Failed' no details as to why...
Old 02-21-2008, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 B33BZ is learning the way of the DB33BZ is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to B33BZ

so wait in your bios your only adjusting your FSB and your multiplier on your ECU is locked so thats never being adjusted?
B33BZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

correct. multiplier is locked at 16x and I am adjusting the FSB (OEM is 200MHz = 3200MHz CPU.)
I've gotten it up to 220 FSB for a CPU at roughly 3500

I've set my ram to 1:1 so it also has a base frequency of 200
Theoretically then, I should be able to clock up to roughly 266 since the ram is DDR533.

I've tried bumping the vcore a couple of steps as well as turning off all unnecessary widgets and functions in bios associated with the ram and cpu.

still can't get over 220 FSB.

I'm thinking the board just won't let me go any higher. All the reviews I read said it wasn't very OC friendly, but I got it because I was on a tight budget and need my computer running ASAP.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just looked up some info on that board, it is very limited so I'm not sure what to suggest other than save up for a decent overclocking board if you really want to overclock.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Worst Mechanic Ever!

Haysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

One thing you can do is relax the timings of the ram. Set the timing to which ever stick has the highest number (mine is 4-4-4-12, but if I had one stick at 4-4-4-12 and another at 4-5-4-14, I would set both to 4-5-4-14).

Also, how much of a voltage bump are you running to the CPU? What voltage do you have the RAM set for? You may need to bump that by .1v

Whats your cooling situation? IIRC, the prescotts run hot as hell, and just knowing the CPU cooler is rosewill has me thinking you need better cooling. See what Thermaltake has to offer, or possibly Zalman. Also, what fans do you have running, which way ware they pointed? You should have more fan power pushing out than in, it cools the system better.
Haysoos is my hero
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
i make girls cry..and it gives me wood.
95 Civic Ex w/ d16z6
Exedy 11lb flywheel, Exedy Stg 1 clutch
OBX LSD (Installed by Transzex)
KYB AGX, Eibach sportlines
ES master kit

Did D-series help you?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Help D-series,

Haysoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Actually, I've already tried relaxing the timing as well. As far as it would go to see if I could break the 22o barrier at all (5-5-5-15) i think it was.

Haven't tried bumping the volts to the memory as I'm actually underclocking it right now. It's native 266 (DDR533) and with a ratio of 1:1 it's underclocked to 220. (stock ratio with this setup yields 3:4 so I changed it to 1:1 to gain the head room.)

I'm leaning towards condemning the mobo, as all the reviews I read said it was not an OC'ers board, but now I'm more curious as to why it won't let me break 220. I've seen other setups with this board go to 230 or 250 FSB but IIRC they were using an earlier revision and they also had different CPU/MEM combo.

To those that have done some OCing, what boards have you had success with?
If I were to upgrade, I'd be looking for something in the $75-150 range.

THanks for any and all input so far.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

As far as the cooling setup goes.
I've got a CM 690 case (LOTS of ventilation) and my cpu idle/load temps are 33/45 respectively but I have seen it peak at about 50. From what I've read, this chip can be safely pushed to about 65C. So i'm definitely not exceeding any limits there yet. (but I've got my eye on the Swiftech H20 220 kit if when I get that far with this tinkering )

Side note:
I also tried manipulating FSB using SysTool as I've seen some people able to take it a little further with this method. No success. Just another one of life's little disappointments.

Last edited by icarusdown; 02-21-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 junk yard creations is fly like an eaglejunk yard creations is fly like an eaglejunk yard creations is fly like an eaglejunk yard creations is fly like an eaglejunk yard creations is fly like an eaglejunk yard creations is fly like an eaglejunk yard creations is fly like an eaglejunk yard creations is fly like an eaglejunk yard creations is fly like an eaglejunk yard creations is fly like an eaglejunk yard creations is fly like an eagle

ok... I'm going to be the Noob here......

what the fuck is overclocking!?!

A
SHIT..... he's got the new Dy78 StrAiGhT from
... I heard that shit's prototype YO!!! He should hook us up w/ the imoprter! 2 stage V-TakkK

junk yard creations is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Worst Mechanic Ever!

Haysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by junk yard creations View Post
ok... I'm going to be the Noob here......

what the fuck is overclocking!?!

CPU speed is it's CLOCK speed. Overclock means to run the CPU (or whatever you are OCing) faster than stock. It's like "tuning" your CPU in a way. I once had a 2.08Ghz CPU clocked to 2.35Ghz, gave a nice little performance bump in gaming and video encoding.

@OP:

Sounds like your RAM will be a hold up as well. RAM prices are cheap, if you REALLY want to OC, then grab a Kinston HyperX, Corsair XMS, or Patriot's "ocing" ram over on www.newegg.com. Get something thats DDR800 and at least 4-5-4-14 timings, that way you can relax the timing to get a better OC. ALSO, get a matched pair (2x1gb = 2gb total, for example). RAM is a very finicky thing, always has been. Sometimes, two mis-matched sticks of RAM simply will not OC, sometimes they won't run at all. I've had 2 sticks of ram from different manufacturers that would test fine alone, but throw errors if combined.

Ram is pretty cheap right now, it wouldnt be a bad idea.
Haysoos is my hero
Quote:
i make girls cry..and it gives me wood.
95 Civic Ex w/ d16z6
Exedy 11lb flywheel, Exedy Stg 1 clutch
OBX LSD (Installed by Transzex)
KYB AGX, Eibach sportlines
ES master kit

Did D-series help you?
Help D-series,

Haysoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarusdown View Post
To those that have done some OCing, what boards have you had success with?
If I were to upgrade, I'd be looking for something in the $75-150 range.

THanks for any and all input so far.
I'm using an ASUS P5B-Deluxe with some PC6400 G.Skill GBHZ memory and a Core2Duo, and its been awesome so far. I haven't even pushed the processor beyond a mild overclock yet because its been plenty fast for me, however I have a lot of options if I need more speed later on. I usually check out Newegg for reviews and rating before I buy any computer components:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d&Order=RATING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in