New Pioneer deck - no power - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default New Pioneer deck - no power

I just bought a new Pioneer DEH-P5900ib deck for my 93 Civic EX
I spliced everything to the harness I bought and connected all the harnesses correctly, when I went to turn it on there is absolutely no power coming to it. I checked for blown fuses, nothing there. I tried re-splicing the power wire between the factory harness and pioneer harness.

Only things I can think of right now:
1) The blue remote wire from the Pioneer is connected to an unmarked, yet blue wire from the Honda harness.
2) Head unit is fried
3) Some wires aren't/are connected that should/shouldn't be connected

Some suggestions on what might be wrong would help a TON.
I have already put my factory head unit back into the harness just to narrow the problem and it powered on fine. I think that I have a wire connection issue.
lawlersauce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4gExpress

Just go over everything from the beginning. Make sure your power and ground wires are good. Unless you have a power antenna, you can cut and cap blue. Blue/white is amp turn on, blue is power ant. Orange and orange white should be illumination, you can cap those. I've run into instances where illumination wires cause problems. So, cap all blues and all oranges. If that doesn't work then you may want to think about getting a new radio.
4gExpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

What exactly is illumination? I just would rather know WHY I am doing this stuff.

Sort of like teach a man to fish, ya feels?

Old 02-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough4gExpress will become famous soon enough

To the best of my knowledge illumination tries to tie into your vehicles illumination. When you dim the lights on your dash, the radio would dim. I am not 100% sure about that but I've always been taught to ignore them. Never had a problem leaving them out.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

okay...so i just tried it...didn't change anything
Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Hmm... well there isn't much to screw up with a radio install. If all your wiring is good then I'd say you need a new radio. As far as harnesses go... well I am sure you're aware it's just a matter of color matching to the radio harness. All that said... that leaves you with...

2) Head unit is fried
Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

...im pissed
Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Sorry bout that man. I hope you find out I'm wrong somehow. Any way to return it?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, I work at Best Buy so it isn't that big of a deal. It's just that I've been up there too many times today. And I have to work tomorrow...I'm thinking I'll just let my buddies take my car while I'm at work and see if they can get it to work
Old 02-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Could it have anything to do with the ground wires? Was I supposed to splice those together or ground both of them?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawlersauce View Post
Could it have anything to do with the ground wires? Was I supposed to splice those together or ground both of them?
You can do either one.

Did you check to make sure you have power to the wires?
reconstyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 05:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Yeah, I work at Best Buy so it isn't that big of a deal. It's just that I've been up there too many times today. And I have to work tomorrow...I'm thinking I'll just let my buddies take my car while I'm at work and see if they can get it to work
lol funny. I work at BB too. Autotech Wo0t!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconstyle View Post
You can do either one.

Did you check to make sure you have power to the wires?
how would you recommend checking for power if I don't have a voltmeter or anything
Old 02-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

K so I'm just going to return the deck and exchange for the same one, see if I can get this thing to work.

I probably just didn't do something right while I was installing. The harness is all hooked up right now and I'll disconnect the battery this time -.-
Old 02-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
K so I'm just going to return the deck and exchange for the same one, see if I can get this thing to work.

I probably just didn't do something right while I was installing. The harness is all hooked up right now and I'll disconnect the battery this time -.-
As I said before, there is very little to mess up with a radio install. In our shop we don't even disconnect the negative terminal. I would take it back and have them test it in the install bay. If it really is messed up, at least you know it wasn't you. As far as the radio turning on... you only need 3 wires. So if all your power wires are good and your ground is good and your key is turned, you'll get power.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

I exchanged for another of the same model...i didn't bother taking out the harness I spliced in, should I have?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
R2.....Zap Balls

Rep Power: 36 vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vtecduck Send a message via Yahoo to vtecduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gExpress View Post
To the best of my knowledge illumination tries to tie into your vehicles illumination. When you dim the lights on your dash, the radio would dim. I am not 100% sure about that but I've always been taught to ignore them. Never had a problem leaving them out.
Quote:
lol funny. I work at BB too. Autotech Wo0t!
The illumination wires on the radios can do 2 things, they either dim the radio lights or actually trigger lights on the radio to come on. You do this for a living and don't know this? For the op, you can get a cheap test light from bb or even a auto parts store. Clip one end to ground and check the the red and yellow wires on the harness for power. The yellow will be hot all the time and the red will be hot when the ign is on. If your factory radio works fine on the harness, I'd say it's a radio problem. If you get the new deck and it still doesn't work, try taking the ground wire from the radio harness to a good ground and see how that does.
And if it was up to me I'd have Mods ride his unicycle out and kick every single one of these dumbasses in the nuts.
Quote:
congrats to Mr and Mz Duck!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
now just keep her safe from the 3 'b's
boys, beer, and b-series.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do I miss the civic? Not really the car as much as the power it had

1993 E36 civic replacement work in progress:

Last edited by vtecduck; 02-16-2008 at 03:45 PM.
vtecduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Live,love,laugh,be real

Rep Power: 39 4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

sorry if this was already coverd...

yellow goes to a constant hot source (+)

red goes to ignition on source (+)

black of coarse is chassis ground (-)

did you also check the back of the radio for a fuse, sometimes they are there and it could be blown, also check the inline fuse...

R.I.P. my mom - I miss you
10/3/1945-6/16/2007

R.I.P. - MiloReaper & Pat Primmer

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

04' Pilot EXL - Black Pile - Love it

is your friend, try it

[youtube ][ /youtube]

4Door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecduck View Post
You do this for a living and don't know this?
I wouldn't say I do it for a living. Luckily I don't need this job, I just want to learn as much as possible about car audio. I've always been told to cap the illumination wires because they don't matter... and in the grand scheme of things... they don't.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
R2.....Zap Balls

Rep Power: 36 vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vtecduck Send a message via Yahoo to vtecduck

Quote:
I wouldn't say I do it for a living. Luckily I don't need this job, I just want to learn as much as possible about car audio. I've always been told to cap the illumination wires because they don't matter... and in the grand scheme of things... they don't.
unless it's required to make the lights for the buttons on the head unit to come on .
And if it was up to me I'd have Mods ride his unicycle out and kick every single one of these dumbasses in the nuts.
Quote:
congrats to Mr and Mz Duck!
now just keep her safe from the 3 'b's
boys, beer, and b-series.

Do I miss the civic? Not really the car as much as the power it had

1993 E36 civic replacement work in progress:

vtecduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in