JL + tube? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 05:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
i shoot stuff

superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to superdewey58
Default JL + tube?

my friend had 3 JLw6's from like 5 yres ago, 2 blew. so now he has only one working one and a box for 3. he doesnt have the fundage to get new subs. i just goat another bazzooka tube and love it. i was wondering if the jl would be good in a tube or how best to fix this situation cheaply. i think a ported box will be the best option i just dont know

do u live in south florida
Quote:
What happend to the hood? Looks like a fat girl jumped on it.

Last edited by superdewey58; 02-03-2008 at 06:08 AM.
superdewey58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to vxcoastie

I would say to definately put that jl into the bazooka tube! I had a 6" bazooka tube a while back which I blew, I then replaced it with a w0 series sub and made a world of a difference! Sounded so much better!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

D-series for life!!
vxcoastie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

go to home depot and get a sheet of mdf and build your own box. it'll be way more solid than the bazooka tube and you can make it the right volume too. best cheap option imo.
brycek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
R2.....Zap Balls

Rep Power: 36 vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vtecduck Send a message via Yahoo to vtecduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxcoastie View Post
I would say to definately put that jl into the bazooka tube! I had a 6" bazooka tube a while back which I blew, I then replaced it with a w0 series sub and made a world of a difference! Sounded so much better!!
A w0 and a w6 are two completely diff subs. Like mentioned above, just get some MDF and build the correct size box for the sub. W6's do well in ported and sealed enclosures, I prefer a ported myself .
And if it was up to me I'd have Mods ride his unicycle out and kick every single one of these dumbasses in the nuts.
Quote:
congrats to Mr and Mz Duck!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
now just keep her safe from the 3 'b's
boys, beer, and b-series.

Do I miss the civic? Not really the car as much as the power it had

1993 E36 civic replacement work in progress:

vtecduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
i shoot stuff

superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

yea i guess i just need to get EXACT dimentions on a ported box for the JL

edit i found this
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/8-12W6_BDS.pdf

its says the port is 18.6", wouldnt that be longer then the whole thing

ill keep searching though

Quote:

Last edited by superdewey58; 02-03-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 PianoMan smells like BoratPianoMan smells like BoratPianoMan smells like BoratPianoMan smells like BoratPianoMan smells like BoratPianoMan smells like Borat

The W6's do well with both sealed and ported, but I'd drop those W6's into a nice 1.3-1.4cuft sealed enclosure (a piece, if you got the room) - I prefer slightly overdamped alignments. They're easier to build, are a bit more forgiving when you build them, but need a bit more power to sing.
Eibach Pro-System Plus (Springs, Dampers, and Anti-Roll Kit)

Buying, when I gets $$$ and time to put in: 8psi pulley from ASP Racing.
PianoMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
i shoot stuff

power isnt really a problem, neither is space b/c the space used to be used for 3 now its fo 1 sub, just want to make sure its making the most out of what the sub has to offer

Quote:
Old 02-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Bazzooka + Kicker Free Air = WIN!

I was amazed how that 10" tube sounded, but had to be corner loaded for best results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 PianoMan smells like BoratPianoMan smells like BoratPianoMan smells like BoratPianoMan smells like BoratPianoMan smells like BoratPianoMan smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdewey58 View Post
power isnt really a problem, neither is space b/c the space used to be used for 3 now its fo 1 sub, just want to make sure its making the most out of what the sub has to offer
Ah - thought you were going to replace the two blown subs. 3 12" woofs would rock - I used to be into the over-the-top boom, but not much anymore.

A largish sealed box would sound really good in the car, but you won't be able to pound it outside as you would an optimally sized ported enclosure.

I'm for good sound in, but some like it loud going out. Whichever is your poison, go that route. If you haven't built a ported enclosure, it may take a few tries to get the port tuning right. Word of advice: start long, and then trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Bazzooka + Kicker Free Air = WIN!

I was amazed how that 10" tube sounded, but had to be corner loaded for best results.
Heh - I still have my two old 12" Kicker Free-Airs from the 90's in my old Sentra that's about to go to a niece. I'm ripping those out of there - I don't think she'd appreciate them as much as I did.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
i shoot stuff

no sound inside is whats important im just on the fence about a sealed box or ported

Quote:
Old 02-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
R2.....Zap Balls

Rep Power: 36 vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
no sound inside is whats important im just on the fence about a sealed box or ported
big ported box tuned at around 28 hz
And if it was up to me I'd have Mods ride his unicycle out and kick every single one of these dumbasses in the nuts.
Quote:

Old 02-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
i shoot stuff

how do u tune a box, im a noob to that

Quote:
Old 02-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater

Rep Power: 41 " Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 24 reviews
Send a message via AIM to " Low " Send a message via Yahoo to " Low "

Quote:
change the dimensions of the port....

My username: High-Cap 1911
It ain't only for texans....but there are a BUNCH of us
" Low " is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
R2.....Zap Balls

Quote:
different diameter and length of the port
Quote:

Old 02-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

just go with the jl specs on a ported box and it will be fine.
kzoobaggs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
How 2 tuna fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
i shoot stuff

dont really have the time to tune it, he leaves in a week or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoobaggs View Post
just go with the jl specs on a ported box and it will be fine.
the jl specshave the tube longer than the box whats up with that?

Quote:
Old 02-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

The diameter was made intentionally larger to reduce port noise, so you'll need a longer port. It can be made shorter, but port area goes down = possible port noise, or "chuffing".

Think "L-shaped" port. The length of the port is combined centerline lengths of both sections.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Use Aero ports to tame any port noise. They allow you to tune for a better sound to the ear, but you need to watch how it controls the cone motion or you could wind up popping subs.

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in