Starting my stereo build - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Starting my stereo build

ok guys, this weekend I'm going to start fiber glassing the boxes for my subs. i could use some help on which direction to face the speakers VS the direction the port should be facing. i know they don't have to be ported but i prefer the tun-ability of a ported box. i am trying to build a SQL system more than a SPL system. i am going to be using 2 Rockford Fosgate 12" 2ohm DVC (P212D2) and a Rockford 325 Watt Mono Amplifier (P325.1).

I plan on building the boxes in the corner of the trunk by both wheel wells similar to the attached picture. what do you guys think would be the best layout?

1. speakers facing trunk lid and ports facing back seats?

2. speakers facing back seats and ports facing trunk lid?

3. speakers facing upward and ports facing trunk lid?

4. or i could build them like the one in the attached picture and run the port out below the speaker and facing the same direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	836668_40_full.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	16843  
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
10 second daily driver :)

Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

Since bass is non directional it wont hurt you to face them in any direction, it comes down to looks at that point. as far as the port goes it can affect the tune slightly if its facing forward or backward but then again you can adjust the port for this. if its for show and you get points based on the look of the set up then go for the better looking set up and tune it accordingly. remember to alway wear ear protection when you have to turn it up. I was into SPL and SQL way way back in the day when it was starting out , we had DBL drags and every thing. needless to say i was young and thought my ears where bullet proof, i hurt them and they will never recover, thankfully i didn't hurt them enough to loose hearing totally.
10.7 @ 137.97
1990 CRX Si D16Z6 305/265 @ 22 PSI (SOLD)
11.6 @ 118
Boosted91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

x2 on everything. and do be very careful with your ears, spl as low as 90 Db can damage your hearing. with the subs just try and keep them away from the dead center of the trunk as this could result in some cancellation.
brycek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Your right about bass being non directional but different box types sound and react better in different types of cars. For example hatchbacks like the CRX work better with hatch back boxes (subs facing up and ports facing trunk lid) and the same goes for Chevy blazer and I'm sure other SUV's as well.

I know that putting a hatchback style box in a Chevy blazer will raise you SPL rating a point or so compared to what the same size and volume box would make with the ports and the subs facing the same direction.

Does anyone have trial and error experience with this in a Honda civic or similar car? what styles have worked best for y'all?

I'm going to put one sub on each side of the trunk so i could also face one towards the seats and one towards the trunk too. any experienced ideas?

as far as my ears go, i think they will be OK. I'm only running a 325watt x1 RMS amp, and a bass knob that will be turned down more often then its turned up. I'm getting a little older now and don't feel the need to BUMP BUMMP BUMP constantly. I just like to have nice things. i wont be competing with this system, just pimpin! lol.

Last edited by lonestar; 01-15-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

just fyi
Old 01-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Live,love,laugh,be real

Rep Power: 39 4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

downfire sub box>all mho

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. my mom - I miss you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
10/3/1945-6/16/2007

R.I.P. - MiloReaper & Pat Primmer

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

04' Pilot EXL - Black Pile - Love it

is your friend, try it

[youtube ][ /youtube]

4Door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

what exactly is sql rating? i didn't know you could rate sql in points.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Live,love,laugh,be real

Rep Power: 39 4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycek View Post
what exactly is sql rating? i didn't know you could rate sql in points.
think he meant SPL

10/3/1945-6/16/2007

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

is your friend, try it

[youtube ][ /youtube]

Old 01-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

brycek, nice to know but has no relevance to what i am asking!

like i said I'm not 16, i won't be blasting it at every stop light to look like an idiot. i just want it to make the best SPL and SQL possible for the money I'm putting into it.

and yes i did mean SPL when i was talking about the blazer, ill go edit that.

4 door 4 life, yeah i have heard good thing about down firing but i want something that is show quality with out eating up all my trunk space.

i am going to build two boxes similar to the one in the picture i attached to my first post and i want them by each wheel well to maximize trunk room. i just want the best SQL and SPL out of it as possible. Fiberglass is a lot of work and i only want to do this once.

Last edited by lonestar; 01-15-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Live,love,laugh,be real

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
i just want the best SQL and SPL out of it as possible. Fiberglass is a lot of work and i only want to do this once.
i understand...

i used to have 15'' subs when i was younger, didn't really care to much for quality...

now im running 1 12'' sub and great separates... the sound is AWESOME...

clean, clear and has bass when i want it...

10/3/1945-6/16/2007

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

is your friend, try it

[youtube ][ /youtube]

Old 01-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycek View Post
just fyi
LMFAO

well them ive done ALOT OF HEARING DAMAGE... driving my old truck at 136.6db with the stereo ALMOST cracked all the time....
maybe in the future ill have some problems BUT the way i see it... IN THE FUTURE we should have better hearing aids as well, and/or louder stereos. :thehump:

BUT anyways with a trunk setup NEVER FIRE THE SUB UPWARDS.
now i havent been swaping out trunk setups for to long ported, BUT i would asume subwoofer firing towards the rear will give you best lows and maybe port either to the side or front/back.... i just wouldn't fire either the sub or port upwards...
addiction2bass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

addiction 2 bass, that's what i was thinking, i know with the P.O.S. bandpass i used to have in my old civic it sounded "best" with the speakers facing the trunk lid, but because it was band pass it sounded like crap compared to a regular box and the ports were facing the same direction as the speakers.

I'm most curious now if should face the ports with the speakers or toward the back. i don't want to face them forward and have it sound like the bandpass did, but then again it's a whole different style box and ports in the front may work better on this style.

also i would like to know if putting the port above the speaker will make any difference than having it below the speaker.

thanks for the help!

Last edited by lonestar; 01-15-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

i just looked up yous subs and they recommend 1.8^3ft for each sub for a ported box, if your concerned about trunk room AND sq you might want to consider a sealed enclosure for them, because if you keep the box too small you get a hump in the response and it will end up sounding similar to your bandpass that you had.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

i just started playing around with different designs to get the most box volume. I'm not quite done yet but the last specs i tried came out to 1.5 box volume. i will sacrifice trunk room for sound.

according to the rockford website, the only need 1.75 so I'm not far away.

Last edited by lonestar; 01-15-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiction2bass View Post
LMFAO

well them ive done ALOT OF HEARING DAMAGE... driving my old truck at 136.6db with the stereo ALMOST cracked all the time....
maybe in the future ill have some problems BUT the way i see it... IN THE FUTURE we should have better hearing aids as well, and/or louder stereos.
just turn is up more so you can hear it and you'll be fine lol
Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Well I don't know if this is any help but I'll tell you what I've found with my system. I'm running 1 10" Alpine Type-S sub in a sealed box and I've played with it firing in different directions and I've found that (at least in my car) pointing the the sub forward produces the best sound stage and the cleanest sound. I tried pointing it backwards and I did get more lows, but they were garbled and the you could tell the bass was coming from the trunk. With the sub pointing forwards the bass sounds like it's coming from a more front and center location and I did lose some of the lower frequencies but the sound is a lot cleaner.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Build the box to fit under the back deck and trunk support rods. Think wide, tall and thin. Subs back, ports firing up through the deck at the rear window. Use some Aero ports extended out of the box and yes, flush with the back deck. It will give it a somewhat stealth look, tons of trunk space and great reverb off the back glass for good spl. some cutting required ^_-

As for hearing yes be smart about it. I ALWAYS use protection at shows but I have built my ears up to a tolerance to loud decibels. From band in the young days to car stereo comps and still going. I can easily sit in our shop demo Blazer while it makes others want to puke. It also does 164+db on 12 12's.

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

on your way looking good man
sp33ddemon19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 04:44 AM   #19 (permalink)

thanks for the help guys, i'll try and remember to take some pics along the way.

Last edited by lonestar; 01-16-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

ya for a typical subwoofer i would not sugest firing forwards..
my black99civic i have a front firing setup, subwoofer and port firing, but i have a preaty decent SQ/SPL sub. but main reason why i chose to do front firing setup was to preaty much seal it off from the trunk to prevent ALOT of trunk rattling!!!!!! which it does.... but i have lost some of the LOWS.....
my only other sugestion would be to keep the box on one side of the trunk.... that way you can still fold the back seats down and slide LONG items thru the trunk, and also to keep items from sliding around the trunk when turning and posibly running into your subwoofer/s.... no one likes a scratched up subwoofer face!

when i finaly build a box for my type R in my 94civic im gonna keep the box on the drivers side half of the trunk and keep the passenger side completly open.
addiction2bass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in