Do I need a 4ohm or an 8ohm Sub? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 Eyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Eyal 951
Default Do I need a 4ohm or an 8ohm Sub?

I'm getting mixed answers here.

I have a Kenwood KAC-8403 4/3/2 Channel Amp. I am running 2 speakers (4ohm each) in front (1 channel each) and bridging 2 channels for the sub, therefore I'll be running in 3 channel mode.

I've been told that I need an 8 ohm sub because I'm bridging 2 channels. I've also been told I need 4 ohm. Both by knowledgeable people. Which is it, so I can order the sub already!

2001 S2000 - Sold
Eyal 951 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's that time again

Rep Power: 31 EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ1 SCRAPPIN

what tha......... all you need is a 4ohm sub and that would be your best bet!
unless you want to run it and 4ohms then you'd have to go with the 8ohms
its really up to you and your amp is capable of both

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by EJ1 SCRAPPIN; 12-14-2007 at 12:22 PM.
EJ1 SCRAPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I'd go with the 8 ohm, that amp doesn't do much when bridged into a 4 ohm load.

rated at 60x4 into 4 ohms, or 90x4 into 2 ohms at a higher distortion rating, so its likely only 75 watts.

120 watts well dampened, or 150 watts so-so dampened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

is the sub you are looking at single or dual voice coil?

personally, id run the sub at 4ohm.

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 Eyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to allEyal 951 is a name known to all

this is the sub I'll get. Going simple.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=15

2001 S2000 - Sold
Old 12-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

ok i think i need 8 ohm

2001 S2000 - Sold
Old 12-14-2007, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

8 ohm for that amp, but 4 ohm will be fine, you plan on using that sub in a different system later, or upgrading to a better amp?

Then I'd get the 4 ohm. Think about the future, that way your not too limited.

That sub looks quite tasty in a slot loaded enclosure. Steep 24 dB/octave filter at about 30-32 Hz.......

Manville's company always has great products

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
It's that time again

Rep Power: 31 EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ1 SCRAPPIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
8 ohm for that amp, but 4 ohm will be fine, you plan on using that sub in a different system later, or upgrading to a better amp?

That sub looks quite tasty in a slot loaded enclosure. Steep 24 dB/octave filter at about 30-32 Hz.......

x2 i def. have to agree with this

EJ1 SCRAPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Worst Mechanic Ever!

Haysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post

From what I remember of car audio, I would agree with Bone. The amp will want an 8ohm, but a 4 ohm will be fine and be more adaptable for future stereo setups.
Haysoos is my hero
Quote:
i make girls cry..and it gives me wood.
95 Civic Ex w/ d16z6
Exedy 11lb flywheel, Exedy Stg 1 clutch
OBX LSD (Installed by Transzex)
KYB AGX, Eibach sportlines
ES master kit

Did D-series help you?
Help D-series,

Haysoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

I bought the 8 ohm. I want to optimize for this setup. That sub is relatively cheap, plus this setup is intended for this civic. I feel that a setup should be designed per car, not with intention of moving it around. I plan to use it about a year, because within I year my daily driver will be an S2000, and this civic will be turning into mostly/all track. However for now I need to maintain some sort of comfort level while I still daily drive it.

2001 S2000 - Sold
Old 12-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Worst Mechanic Ever!

Haysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcanoHaysoos is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyal 951 View Post
I bought the 8 ohm. I want to optimize for this setup. That sub is relatively cheap, plus this setup is intended for this civic. I feel that a setup should be designed per car, not with intention of moving it around. I plan to use it about a year, because within I year my daily driver will be an S2000, and this civic will be turning into mostly/all track. However for now I need to maintain some sort of comfort level while I still daily drive it.
I'm coming to your house and stealing your s2k. When you get it of course!

Sounds good. Some people like to keep their stereo options open. Personall, I agree that a systemshould be built according to the car and the person driving the car. I haven't had subs in my car for 2-3 years now and when I do replace them, it'll be with a single 10 instead of the 2 12's I had.
Haysoos is my hero
Quote:
i make girls cry..and it gives me wood.
95 Civic Ex w/ d16z6
Exedy 11lb flywheel, Exedy Stg 1 clutch
OBX LSD (Installed by Transzex)
KYB AGX, Eibach sportlines
ES master kit

Did D-series help you?
Help D-series,

Haysoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2007, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

4 ohm will be fine, you will get more power out of the amp.
kzoobaggs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2007, 11:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoobaggs View Post
4 ohm will be fine, you will get more power out of the amp.
Read over the specs of his amp (I did) before suggesting this comment.

A real amp, yes 4 ohm mono, his isn't up to the task.

Now, if he bridges the 4 channel amp to run the fronts and buys a good 2x100 amp which would shit out 350-400 watts into 4 ohm mono, then yes.

I think I'm the ONLY person who looked into his amps specs before suggesting anything.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...fiers/KAC-8403

240 watt amp that MIGHT do 800 watts a on Taco Fart.

2 [email protected] 90 Watts 4 (1kHz, .8%THD)
4 [email protected] 60 Watts 4 (20-20kHz, .08%THD)
[email protected] 180 Watts 2 (1kHz, .8%THD)
Maximum Output Power 800 Watts
RMS Power Output 60 Watts 4 (1%THD+N) (4Ω)

Notice the RMS 60 w/ch/4 ohm rating is at 1% THD

Quote:
Old 12-15-2007, 12:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
I'm getting mixed answers here.

I have a Kenwood KAC-8403 4/3/2 Channel Amp. I am running 2 speakers (4ohm each) in front (1 channel each) and bridging 2 channels for the sub, therefore I'll be running in 3 channel mode.

I've been told that I need an 8 ohm sub because I'm bridging 2 channels. I've also been told I need 4 ohm. Both by knowledgeable people. Which is it, so I can order the sub already!
Get the 4 ohm version and bridge 2 channels of your amp to get approx. 180w for the woofer. Use the remaining 2 channels to power your front speakers at 45-60w (4ohm) each. Remember to set the the gains on the amp accordingly matching your head unit output to prevent clipping.

This is a simple setup and works well. Although you will have 1&#37;THD for your woofer when you bridge the 2 channel, but you wont be able to notice the 'noise' produced, especially at below 80hz. (most people cant hear the 'noise' produced at <1%THD).

When I use to compete at ISACA competition, I used to buy 4 channels amps and bridged them into 2 channel amps for my front speakers setup to save cost while achieving higher power output. No noise detection points were ever deducted from my score sheet.

Last edited by Will; 12-15-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 12:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Will, you are correct, but that little amp doesn't have the dampening power for a good sub @ 4 ohm mono, likely why the spec was never listed.

A GOOD amp will almost double power at same THD rating when sent into half the ohms. Alot of it is the power supply. Since the new ratings are at 12.5v, the specs being listed at 14.4v are even more suspect.

Yeah, I gave up on IASCA when motorization and gauges took over the points, I'm SQL all the way.

This will be more than enough for most anyone.

Quote:
Old 12-15-2007, 12:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

To those who are interested in amps selection.

http://www.tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/index.htm

I do agree with the article, however I still prefer amps from companies with better reputation due the build quality, better resale value and more accurate rating of power output,but not because of better "sound quality".

As long as u have adjust the gain to match the head unit output, u will not need to be afraid of distortion. (I used a oscillation scope to adjust the gain, however using the markings on the gain knob will suffice for most.)

Last edited by Will; 12-15-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

Transzex, yap. I agree with you. Nice Van GOGH. I still have my old PPI AM and M series amps when they use to underate their power.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:34 AM   #18 (permalink)

For those that are curious, JL said to buy 8ohm.

2001 S2000 - Sold
Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 HondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Just a thought, but you might want to consider a speaker with a higher SPL. ~84.5 isn't going to be very loud.

00 ex coupe; 346whp/271wtq @21psi
HondaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
For those that are curious, JL said to buy 8ohm.
Most likely, they dont want u to put in more power than the woofer is rated at. If you have set the gain correctly, you shouldnt have any problems with 4ohm. besides with a 8ohm woofer, its only going to see half the power = weak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in