What audio setup would you recommend for a CRX? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
inh
My sig is longer than yours

inh It's a JDM Star Bitches....inh It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 20 reviews
Default What audio setup would you recommend for a CRX?

I'm going to be running a small PC in place of a headunit, so I'm looking at liek 4 6.5" speakers (pretty sure these can fit) and a 10" sub, or maybe 2 8" or 2 10"s, I dont really know. I dont want a lot of bass, but enough to be felt is nice. I mainly listen to rock/metal, not any of that huge bass crap.

What I cant really figure out is amps.. Should i get a 2 channel, or 4? Maybe a 2 channel for the speakers, and a single channel for the subs? I just don't know enough about this to figure out what I want =/

My current plans:

Polk Audio db6501
6-1/2" Component System for the front doors

Polk Audio db 651
6-1/2" 2-way Speakers for the back

Sony XM-4S
50W x 4 Thin Car Amp for the speakers

2 Polk Audio MM 2084
8" 4-ohm Component Subwoofers

Profile AP1200
200W x 2 Car Amp for the sub

2 Q-Logic QLT-.3508SS
Single 8" Truck Box-Vol=0.35 cubic ft.

Tsunami Lite Wave Capacitor
1.2-farad with Blue LCD Meter

The cap is mainly to keep the amps from dropping the voltage to the computer, though i'm sure it will also help out my teeny lil honda alternator =]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Earn money for receiving text messaged offers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by inh; 11-04-2007 at 09:02 AM.
inh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

sweet another carpc. i love to hear of these.

im in the process of installing mine now. (in between rebuilding my ZC)

heres what i have for my speaker setup

front: alpine components (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1166840026793)

rear:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1166840026861

and as for amps, im going to be doing a 6.1 setup for movies and such. im going to be running a 4 channel amp (for my front and rears) 1x apline vpower for the sub, and a small single channel amp for the center speaker. ive yet to get one tho, cant find a small enough amp that i want. and as for sub ive got a 10" alpine type-r. in that little hatch you dont need much to rattle your teeth out. make sur eyou do the math and figure in enough caps for all your amps and run a breaker, not a fuse with a power distribution block and decent grade cable. id say no less than 8g for subs and 10g for the surrounds. hope ive helped. also id recommend the liliput 7" touchscreen. fairly cheep and good quality screen. (look to spend about $200 for it)
91shavedsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Are you looking for easy and clean install?? Or are you looking for loud??

Easy = a single 5/6 channel amp (4-5 mains, and a sub)

This is easy because you will have 1 set of RCA's, 1 power wire, 1 ground wire, 1 signal wire, 5 sets of speaker wires. More than likely, this setup will create enough sound to satisfy you.

Loud = a 4/5 channel and a mono block.

At least 2 sets of RCA's, 2 power wires, 2 ground wires, 2 signal wires, 5 sets of speaker wires. This option will almost invariably produce more power with less heat. The amps will also be smaller, giving you the ability to position them as needed in your car.

I would say a nice 10" in a smallish sealed enclosure should be fine.

Will this be a DVD setup?? or just audio?
Richie_A_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

on a side note,

you may have to fab a little to make those alpines fit, they are pretty deep. ive got a crx too but im gonna be redoing my door panels where the speakers mount anyway so im not too worried about depth. (fiberglass speaker pods....and yes when i start the fg work ill take some pics)
Old 11-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie_A_19 View Post
Are you looking for easy and clean install?? Or are you looking for loud??

Easy = a single 5/6 channel amp (4-5 mains, and a sub)

This is easy because you will have 1 set of RCA's, 1 power wire, 1 ground wire, 1 signal wire, 5 sets of speaker wires. More than likely, this setup will create enough sound to satisfy you.

Loud = a 4/5 channel and a mono block.

At least 2 sets of RCA's, 2 power wires, 2 ground wires, 2 signal wires, 5 sets of speaker wires. This option will almost invariably produce more power with less heat. The amps will also be smaller, giving you the ability to position them as needed in your car.

then theres that. my only problem with running 1 amp is if you have a channel go bad youre out a system untill it gets fixed/replaced

I would say a nice 10" in a smallish sealed enclosure should be fine.

Will this be a DVD setup?? or just audio?
my only problem with that is that if you have a channel go bad then your screwed a system untill its fixed/replaced but htat is also a way to go if youre concerned with space.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
inh

Theres gonna be a dvd drive under the screen (7" touchscreen.) It will play dvds/cds/mp3 cds, and have a hard drive for mp3s, video files, etc etc. i already have the system mostly setup, just need to get stateside to install it =]

I think i'd prefer loud, over easy. If i wanted easy i wouldnt be installing a PC =P

edit: when you say 4/5 channel and a mono block.. you mean a 4/5 channel amp, and a single channel (for the sub) ?

also open to amp suggestions =]

Last edited by inh; 11-03-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

lol now youre startin to sound like me!!!

well a good 4 channel amp is adequate for your fronts and rears, and those aline components are REDICULOUS! if youc an afford to put them in the rears too by all means GO FOR IT! but they are a little pricey at 250 a set.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
inh

Can you see if those alpines fit without fabbing? I have some EDM doorpanels i'd hate to screw with =/

As for the center speaker, theres a simple wiring trick you can do to fake it, if you want. It connects to the L and R speakers and only emits audio that is coming from both sides. Then you dont need an amp for it

Old 11-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
inh

Damn you! Now you got me thinking about a 5.1 system..

The 7" lilliput is exactly what I have, though I'm thinking I might upgrade to the transflective when it comes time to install. You know how we Cali guys like to roll with the sunroof open

Old 11-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by inh View Post
Theres gonna be a dvd drive under the screen (7" touchscreen.) It will play dvds/cds/mp3 cds, and have a hard drive for mp3s, video files, etc etc. i already have the system mostly setup, just need to get stateside to install it =]

I think i'd prefer loud, over easy. If i wanted easy i wouldnt be installing a PC =P

edit: when you say 4/5 channel and a mono block.. you mean a 4/5 channel amp, and a single channel (for the sub) ?

also open to amp suggestions =]
Yes, I mean an amp that has both channels coming in, and has a single output. A true sub amp.

I have always been partial to MTX subs and amps. Awesome power and sound.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
inh

Aaahh okay =]

I'm thinking about getting dual 10's to sit behind the seat (i THINK there's enough room) so that when i'm watching movies i'll really feel the bass. The rest of the time I could just use an equalizer to turn it down..

Old 11-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

I think 2 10"s will be too much for what you are wanting.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
inh

What about 2 8"s?

Old 11-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
i shoot stuff

superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to superdewey58

i wanted the same bass u did, went with a self powere 200w bazooka tube

its awesome

if i had the room i would go bigger, but an 8 fill the need

do u live in south florida
Quote:
What happend to the hood? Looks like a fat girl jumped on it.
superdewey58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
inh

word =]

dunno if i want one of the tubes.. maybe though...

im looking at the 'bass packages' crutchfield has...

Old 11-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
inh

So I'm looking at getting 2 8" subs, 200 W RMS @ 4 ohms. What amp specs should I look for? And how should I hook them up...

Old 11-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
i shoot stuff

superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to superdewey58

u just want 2 of something i see

get an amp that match the specs of those subs would be my guess

do u live in south florida
Quote:
What happend to the hood? Looks like a fat girl jumped on it.
superdewey58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

my only problem with the 8's is that they dont have a lot of deep hard base. if the frequency dips down below the subs range (and on an 8" its not gonna be as low as a 10) youll get rattle and distortion. you could always do like i did and put a single 10 mounted reverse facing into the hatch. kinda use the hatch as a bandpass box. works well. or just have it hit right off the back glass. i dunno tho, if you do decide to go dual 8's deffinately let me know how they work out. im about to completely recover my entire interior in black an tan. (car is painted pearlescent metallic orange... think shiny new penny) and my sound system is gonna get redone as well. ill post pics when i start

i know you arent lookin for a really hard hitting system (assuming from your first post about the music type and sound-field you are looking for) but the comparison on the 8's vs 10's is just my prefs. i listen to a lot of techno and vocal trance so i like the quick snappyness of 10s but they also have the ability to hit some of those really low bass freqs. in techno. but for sure let me know if you do get em and how they sound.

Last edited by 91shavedsi; 11-03-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 PCracer51 is starting to learn the ropesPCracer51 is starting to learn the ropesPCracer51 is starting to learn the ropesPCracer51 is starting to learn the ropesPCracer51 is starting to learn the ropesPCracer51 is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

shifting topic here, but if you can get away with it, I'd highly consider going solid state for the HD, as vibration will kill a normal disk drive over time. Downsides are cost and lack of capacity. Depends on how much music you wanna store on the PC in the car.

PCracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

too vague

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in