CRX with 3v at lighter/radio...? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Default CRX with 3v at lighter/radio...?

I have an 89 CRX HF, mostly stock with pretty virgin wiring. A while back I had a phone charger short out internally and popped the fuse for the radio/lighter/clock. I replaced the fuse but nothing came back on. Started looking into it today and turns out the radio and lighter are both getting a bit over 3v, like maybe 3.15-3.3v. I checked at the fuse and it is getting the correct 12v.

If it was 0 voltage I would assume I had a burned wire or fusable link, if it was 12v I would be fine, but what the heck could be making it 3v? Any ideas?
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

high resistance short.

id just rewire. does it change if you ground the black wire at socket versus through harness

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
high resistance short.

id just rewire. does it change if you ground the black wire at socket versus through harness
Both the stereo power and lighter power were checked with the multimeter common leg against chassis ground, I can check vs the harness ground wire and get back to you.

I am not going to rule out a high resistance short, because I am not an electrical expert, but I have a super shitty battery and I think if I had that kind of short I would be seeing the battery dead more often.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

That’s a strange one. Sounds like some wiring may have gotten burned up but I would have expected the fuse to blow before the wire sheathing got hot enough to melt.

I would test resistance between the fuse and the cigarette lighter socket and trace as much of the wiring as possible.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Shitty battery? well, an alternator working hard to make up for a poor condition battery can certainly cause some very strange issues.

Do you have any spare batteries to temporarily hook up while you test further?

Also, CRX/civics of that vintage suck donkey balls for ground wiring underhood.

Make sure these are good

-battery NEG to chassis
-trans to chassis
-valvecover to chassis
-harness ground wire to thermostat housing

Also, throw on a spare that bolts at distributor mounting, and goes directly to battery NEG if you can. That one is more for ignition performance than anything though.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Resistance between the fuse and the stereo/clock lighter wire seemed pretty much infinite, so I assume the wire must have burned through or something. No clue how/why it was coming up with 3v.

I just connected the stereo unkeyed power to the fused wire coming directly from my battery to my amp, which is right behind my stereo, now everything is working again and I will track down the burned/disconnected wire problem later.

My car battery is pretty weak, and I drive a VERY short distance to work every day, so my battery tends to run down over time. As soon as I fixed the issue, which was on my lunch break, I plugged my solar trickle charger back in and by the time I went home about 3 hours later starter blazed to life like it was serious, I dont know if anyone else here has a solar charger on their dash, but damn they seem to work pretty good. I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in