putting the wiring harness/loom from 4dr into a coupe - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 03:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Build2 is learning the way of the DBuild2 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question putting the wiring harness/loom from 4dr into a coupe

Ive messed up with my wiring, most of it was done 12 months ago with the car sitting engineless for the majority of that time.

backstory: i tried removing wires, depinning some, chopping others planning to connect some to each other etc and so on. I did all of this 12months back and never completed it or kept notes on what i was doing. Now i just want the car to go and am putting everything back to stock..

So i've removed a wiring harness from an eg 4 door I am yet to install it into my coupe, I'm going to assume others have done it, does anyone see me having issues with it? Anything i need to change?

Thanks
Build2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

If its just the engine harness from the same chassis years and motor/trans combo it should all be plug and play
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Build2 is learning the way of the DBuild2 is learning the way of the D

crap, i should of mentioned chassis harness

inject auto to injected manual vtec

Old 12-08-2018, 01:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

so today i ripped out my harness and compared every plug and wire

90% of it is different. As the wiring i have is non srs and missing the vtec wiring to the engine bay

consulted many manuals, i estimate a good 5-1000 pages skim read from various pdfs

decided i will just compare door plugs and the harness that goes back to tail lights/fuel sender/pump etc

looks like i now have a dimmer switch setup now so i hope the switch is still there for that, cant say ive ever had an eg with that in it
Old 12-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

How butchered is the original harness? You can't just repair the mess you made originally using the workshop manual?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
How butchered is the original harness? You can't just repair the mess you made originally using the workshop manual?
lol i thought i could wire tuck and delete things.. so im gunna say no.

but seriously my biggest issue has been that things are depinned and look stock and other things are just plain cut.

engine harness is worse as i repinned plugs and im yet to source another one
Old 12-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build2 View Post
consulted many manuals, i estimate a good 5-1000 pages skim read from various pdfs
/\/\/\/\ Can't argue with that level of research! lol jks

At this point, there is no easy way. It is now a process of elimination, seeing what you've got versus what the schematics say you should have.

Sounds like you are between a civic and a wiring harness, instead of a rock and a hard place. With so many different levels of unknown, it would honestly be best to just re-blueprint the entire harness from scratch.

You will need manuals from both the coupe and the 4 door, proper year/make/model matches for each.

On an open large floor area (garage, living room [wife permitting]) connect the engine bay harnesses to the dash harness, plug in the fuse and relay boxes, and also connect the rear fuel pump/trunk harnesses so that you have the entire vehicle electrical system properly connected together.

Using schematics and a multimeter, verify end-to-end continuity on every circuit for every system you come into contact with. Keep track with a notepad. Write down all circuit names/numbers/connectors/etc and move down the list of all vehicle systems in the schematics until you have exhausted all possible circuits/systems. Keep things in your notepad labeled similarly to the way the schematics words them, so you have a common "list" to check off when you complete each system.

Use masking tape to wrap around wires at connectors, to help you identify circuits you have already checked. This way, when you get to the end of all circuits listed in the schematics, check every connector again to make sure each wire has a piece of tape. The wires that don't have tape, find their connector pin numbers and connector location in the harnesses to pinpoint what the circuit/system is called in the schematic and recheck it.

Ask me how I thought of this lol. It took me a month solid of 1-2 hours a day to re-design my hatch harnesses, de-pinning unimportant circuits and parallel connecting OBD1 and OBD2 connectors at critical components so that I could swap in any number of engine/transmission/instrument cluster combos and not have to worry about cross-OBD platform compatibility again for Honda components between the years of 1992 to 2001.
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

the reason it was that many pdfs, is because if was different versions from different countries and coupe/eg then they all varied in length.

i dont really want to strip the back half of the coupes wiring if i can help it (even tho it makes complete sense)

i just updated my build thread on here which has a few bits i left out on the posts above.

im really hoping the yard gets the car out again tomorrow/friday so i can get in and chop its plugs of the loom thats left in it
Old 02-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 someone is learning the way of the Dsomeone is learning the way of the D

i looked in your build thread ,,,your wiring should be matching to the ecu and engine your using if you want everything to work properly ,as for the rest of the car it can work if you are willing to cancel a few things .
one more note if your using an auto wiring with a manual car you need to add a circuit from the tranny to the shifter for reverse light ,you also might need to put a jumper in the shifter plug so the car thinks its in netural if ur using the auto ecu .

one more thing never open a wiring loom to the degree of what you have done it will be super hard to reuse and after fixing you will notice plugs are not in the locations that they are supposed to be.

and for me i feel its easier if i work my way from the plugs to the ecu or fuse box

plus i noticed that you have a 2 plug ecu wiring harness , if that is the case it will never work with ur engine.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	125585  

Last edited by someone; 02-14-2019 at 02:15 PM.
someone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2019, 01:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone View Post
i looked in your build thread ,,,your wiring should be matching to the ecu and engine your using if you want everything to work properly ,as for the rest of the car it can work if you are willing to cancel a few things .
one more note if your using an auto wiring with a manual car you need to add a circuit from the tranny to the shifter for reverse light ,you also might need to put a jumper in the shifter plug so the car thinks its in netural if ur using the auto ecu .

one more thing never open a wiring loom to the degree of what you have done it will be super hard to reuse and after fixing you will notice plugs are not in the locations that they are supposed to be.

and for me i feel its easier if i work my way from the plugs to the ecu or fuse box

plus i noticed that you have a 2 plug ecu wiring harness , if that is the case it will never work with ur engine.

i just did a quick update to the build thread.

nothing matched, but for the mean time its gone, however if i find a crashed coupe that is the same as mine il take all the wiring from it and put it in that.

chances of the above happening since coupes are fairly hard to come by here, let alone be found in a junk yard is pretty laughable.

the car is sitting in long term storage with the open challenge to capable people, to get the wiring and fuel system working.

but untill that happens its out of sight out of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in