i thought "Let's install some LED!" burned...... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy i thought "Let's install some LED!" burned......

Hello everyone,

i installed some led's in my dashboard ( cluster gauge's)

And i burned the (Google translated) "PCB" so there is no power going to the lights anymore, So i never know how fast i'm going at night Great! ^^

I dont really care that much, that it happend.

But would like to know HOW this happend,

it where just T5 fittings and i putted T5 leds in.

i can imagine that the overflow of Volts lead it to it's death, but other people do this aswell so, Here comes the real question!

"how to proper install led lights in youre cluster gauge's?"

I Don't want to make it a big mess now over here but i also have 1 other electronic problems

1. The light in my mid console don't work(Honda del sol 1996) I remember that 1 worked out of the 3 but after changing the airflow direction let's say from windshield to feets it would turn off instant(the light) any suggestions ?

U can imagine it's Pitch black in my car at night, and would like to get the feeling that i'm driving a good old Honda instead of a black box ^^

thanks already!
jack-armando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2018, 04:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....

if you just replaced an incandescent bulb with an LED, then you have no current limit to the LED, hence burning up the traces. An incandescent bulb has an internal resistance, as long as the proper voltage is applied to it, it will function normally. An LED has no internal limiting resistance (unless the manufacture tells you they have built it in) and you need to calculate what value is needed.

Do you have a link to the LED you used?
Old 08-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

I have no link i brought them from geek/wish and i'm 100% sure they don't have that haha, anyways i will keep an eye out about the resistance stuff thanks

Old 08-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

LED.

Light
Emitting
Diode

They only work one direction/polarity, unlike a halogen/incandescent bulb that only cares about power and ground, regardless of direction.

Do you have them installed correctly? If no worky worky, flip and retest.

Unless the LED is trying to use over 10 watts, VERY unlikely you did any damage.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I'm with Matt on this, I bought some from SuperBrightLEDS.com and they worked, but if you installed it wrong it wouldn't work and then the bulbs after it wouldn't either like a set of old christmas lights.

The ones I had only lasted about a year and I got tired of removing the cluster in my truck all the time for some stupid bulbs. The old incandescent bulbs lasted 25 years and I bet the new ones will too, still working 5 years later.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Hello guys,

sorry for the late respond.

i have installed the leds incorrect aswell as correct.

have to see if they light on and then turn them around or not, so all leds stopped working and i can clearly see my board burned 1 "buslane" is totally brown and burned.

i have brought some red led's drilled in to the fittings, hooked all leds to a single + and - wire and made them connect to my key switch so when i turn the key all the lights will go on. looks classy!

so that's how i fixed my issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in