No starter signal if car is off about 30 mins. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Default No starter signal if car is off about 30 mins.

89 CRX HF, very stock wiring, stock drivetrain.

Having an issue where the starter is not getting 12v signal wire after the car has been off about 30 mins-2 hours. Rest of the electronics work fine, just not the starter signal wire. Never fails to start with the key in the morning before work, or if I start it during my lunch break, or the evening at the end of my shift, or if I shut it off for 5-10 minutes to gas up or grab a drink.

Consistantly will not start with the key if I leave it parked for 30+ mins but less than 2 hours. I have to manually supply 12v to the signal wire on the starter every single time I grab groceries on the way home from work. Any time this happens I turn the key on and jump the starter power wire to the signal wire and it will start and run fine 100% of the time.

I have resoldered the main relay, and am confidant the solder joints on it are not an issue.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Some ideas: Could be ignition switch, failing ECU or i'd consider bench testing the main relay with the flow chart provided in the electronic workshop manual.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2018, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

I would test the ignition switch to see if your getting 12 volts when you have this issue. Then I would check the starter relay and clutch switch. Also make sure your grounds and positive wire are clean along with the starter signal wire/terminal.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Are you saying that it won't restart if the engine compartment is still warm?
What happens if you try to start after only, say, 5 minutes?

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano

There was actually a new turn of events today, I parked directly in the sun and the inside was as hot as Satan's nutsack when I got off work today, and it wouldnt start until I manually supplied power to the 12v signal wire, even though it hadnt ran in 9 hours, first time it has ever done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
Some ideas: Could be ignition switch, failing ECU or i'd consider bench testing the main relay with the flow chart provided in the electronic workshop manual.
I should pull apart the ignition and check it. Didnt consider the ECU, but I should try a different one at some point and see if it has the same issue. I think it would be hard to bench test the main relay as this happens at a specific temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
I would test the ignition switch to see if your getting 12 volts when you have this issue.
Yea, I gotta check that ignition switch =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
Then I would check the starter relay and clutch switch. Also make sure your grounds and positive wire are clean along with the starter signal wire/terminal.
I dont have a clutch switch, by the starter relay you mean the one attached to the starter or is there another relay somewhere?

I don't think it would be the starter relay on the starter or a ground issue, as it always starts as soon as I supply 12v to the to the signal wire on the starter mounted relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Are you saying that it won't restart if the engine compartment is still warm?
What happens if you try to start after only, say, 5 minutes?
It wont restart if it is a certain range of warm. If it is cold it starts fine, if it is running full temp and I turn it off for 5-10 or maybe even 15 minutes it will restart fine, but if I leave it for around 25-30 minutes, I have to supply 12v to the starter signal wire manually to start it.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Id say borrow a heatgun that has a legitimate low heat setting, say 400-500 watts. Avoid trying this with generic or low brand heat guns, as Ive seen ones marked with low and high actually be more like high and "nearly high".

You only have two possible commonfailures, since you marked how it failed when interior got scorching. a third, but less likely, is the starter fuse circuit in the fusebox

main relay, even with good solder joints, can have the traces start to lift off, or deteriorate, and back of ignition switch can get a tiny short that makes it provide a weak ass signal to starter.

If you have an electronics buddy near you, borrow a small cheap voltage gauge and hook it to starter trigger.

Then heat the main relay slowly, and attempt to start every 5-10 minutes.

If nothing happens, then ignition switch is most likely.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2018, 07:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

There should be a starter relay under the dash by the fuse box or bolted above the fuse box. The relay has two power wires,a ground trigger from clutch switch/neutral safety switch and a power out to starter solenoid.

Most likely it’s your ignition switch that’s the problem. But you need to check when the problem happens if the ignition switch is putting power out to the starter signal wire to starter solenoid.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2018, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

This sounds very similar to an issue I experienced a few years ago in my CRX.

Cold starts (sitting overnight), it would almost always start no problem. Let the car warm up, turn it off, it wouldn’t crank over after that. I disconnected the starter solenoid wire, positioned a multimeter to where I could see it from the drivers seat, verified that it had ~11v when the key was in the start position.

It would always crank if I supplied 12v from the battery to the solenoid. The starter tested fine twice at a local auto parts store.

I chased grounds, bypassed the clutch interlock relay, and even ran a wire directly from the clutch interlock relay connector to the solenoid. Replaced the ignition switch too.

It ended up being a bad starter.

During one of the no-start conditions, set up a multimeter as I described above and check for voltage. You should see ~10.5-11v at the solenoid wire. You won’t see battery voltage but this is normal. If you see 10+ volts, I would consider replacing the starter.

If you don’t have voltage at the solenoid wire, start tracing it back to find where the power stops.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 06-08-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I realize you don’t have a clutch interlock switch since yours is an 89 but these diagrams should help if you need to trace the signal.

Disregard the writing on this pic

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 06-08-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Joel, I should have an ignition switch I bought from O'Reily's for my 89 CRX hiding somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Thanks guys, I now just gotta get off my butt and go test some stuff.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Any progress?

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 06-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Not yet, switched jobs last week and also been trying to get my audio worked out and stock looking to avoid any more broken windows.

Hopefully I will have more time to work on it soon.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in