ECU Ground issue - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2018, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default ECU Ground issue

Hi all,

Ive searched and searched but cant seem to find the answer. I have a crank no start issue, i was putting in kill switches for my 91 civic hatch with a d16a6.

I cut the pin 8 at the main relay (a12, 14) and soldered it into a switch i also had the Fuel pump, GND, and B+, added to a switch. my issue is now my fuel pump wont kick on unless i GND pin 8,

Ive been going in circles with this is there any way to test that the ecu is shot?
boosted ef9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Pin 8 (a12,a14) is the ground trigger from ecu to turn the main relay on.

How did you hook it up to a switch?

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

i tapped into the 2 wires and wired it to ground.

the 2 wires the come from the ecu doesnt put out a ground signal now.

I was wondering how to test this id rather have pin 8 hooked only to the ecu.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

So you wired a12 and a14 to ground?

To test to see if the ecu is putting out ground on a12 or a14 use a test light or multi meter. Hook one end to battery power and the other end to either a12 or a14 and turn key on. The meter should show voltage and test light should light for 3 seconds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 03-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

also would it be better
1. to tap into these wires and give it a ground
2. bypass these wires and give the relay straight ground without the ecu wires?
3. Tap the ignition power to the fuel pump pin

just trying to figure out if my ecu is bad or i have another issue.

all fuses check out ok, also when giving the main relay ground at pin 8 i am able to start the car and drive it.

not too concerned for the bypass if it is the ecu and wont damage anything else as i will be swapping out this motor here in the next few months along with a new ECU.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I checked for ground from the ecu with a DVOM and nothing pin
and a11 at the ecu has power too.

Am i looking at my pm6 ecu to be bad?

Last edited by boosted ef9; 03-27-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

You shouldn’t be tapping anything. You need to cut the wire and put the switch between the wire you cut.

I don’t see how the ecu went bad unless you gave it power to something that should get power.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 03-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok so I was going through this junction connector o was putting in between the switches and the main relay and I found that a few connections are joined together not as I thought it was just a wire for wire connector..
So now I see that the B+ I took to the connector and then I took the pin 8 also and it seems that power got joined to the pin 8 so therefore I sent power to pin 8 and the ecu.

Since this has happened is there something internal on the ecu that would of popped that I would be able to desolder and replace?

I guess I was trying to out a connector in series to be able to disconnect and make cleaner but it backfired.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
You shouldn’t be tapping anything. You need to cut the wire and put the switch between the wire you cut.
This^

Not sure why you're giving things a ground. You just need a switch that causes an open circuit in one instance, and a closed circuit when it's switched.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm not doing because I want to, I'm doing it cause I messed up the ecu I think and it's not giving a ground to close the main relay to provide power to the fuel pump. If I don't ground out the relay to close the circuit to give power to the FP I wouldn't be able to drive it.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Rep Power: 0 d1632psi420 is worse than Satan's assholed1632psi420 is worse than Satan's asshole

sounds like you blew your capacitors in the ECU. Need to remember that these ecu are getting old and any sort on uncontrolled power surge will cause the capacitors to go out.

I had the same problems, turned out to be main relay caused my Ecu to fry causing fuel pump to not prime etc and engine not to fire, it would crank byut had no spark.

I cut out old capacitors, soldered in new ones ( cost like $8 ) and works perfect.

If you need any ECU let me know. I have p28, po6 multiple of them.
d1632psi420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

im telling you, Main relay is shot, and possible capacitors in the ECU its self.

Best to buy new ECU or change them out with new capicators.

I had the same demon when building my car.

I tried 2 different relay switches, nothing.
Changed out capacitors, worked then didnt
Used my boys relay and virgin p28 and everything good under da hood
ZBKC420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in