Subwoofer Repair or Replace - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Default Subwoofer Repair or Replace

Ive got a clarion PXW-1251 Dual 4ohm voice coil subwoofer its 1000w max, 500w rms. Its being powered by a kenwood class d amp putting out 500w rms. Anyway i love this sub it has taken all the abuse ive thrown at it over the years and is still going. The only problem is the surround is ripped now. Ive had to glue the dust cap back on before but that was easy. Ive contacted a few repair websites and their answers are... We dont stock parts for it or its cheaper to replace it. Which if i could find a speaker like it that might be true. I paid about $100 for the sub years ago and as you can imagine they just dont make them like they used to. My only other option would be to repair it myself which i might end up doing since i just love this sub, im just afraid of screwing it up. Otherwise can anyone recommend a sub of equal or greater quality for around $100?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NeonPinHead; 02-28-2016 at 12:53 PM.
NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!

Ive also considered 2 10" or one 15" in its place but i think the 12" is where i want to be. I listen to every sort of music. Rock, rap, electronica, etc...

Old 02-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

What brands have you looked into?

I run 2 dd 8's in my civic. Prolly gonna switch to one sundown 8 for the weight savings. Both subs are rebuidable.

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

How bad is the rip? Shoe Goo does wonders but only a temp fix. Best bet is to find a cheap (same) replacement on CL or Ebay.

PXW-1251 is a dual 2 ohm sub from everything I can find, teamclarion .pdf is not loading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 5 BiGrEd1011 is learning the way of the DBiGrEd1011 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I personally have 2 kicker compR 12's and LOVE them. they SLAM. I got them each for $80ea. $300 new....lol

BiGrEd1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

The Clarion looks like a nice sub. Rebuild it if you can for a reasonable amount.

Otherwise fork over some cash for a competition sub that is rebuildable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_rice View Post
What brands have you looked into?

I run 2 dd 8's in my civic. Prolly gonna switch to one sundown 8 for the weight savings. Both subs are rebuidable.

I like DDs not a bad option.

I have one Sundown SA-8 v2.
Love it! Sounds great on everything.
I went with the 8 to replace my Optidrive 12s. Those were heavy!
Sac*HXy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 jpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I've refoamed many woofers in classic home hi-fi speakers. The foams disintegrate over time, and need replacement. Replacing the entire woofer doesn't really work in that situation, because the original woofers were designed to work with that particular cabinet, crossover, etc... they were designed as a system. It's not that difficult to replace the foams, and there are many people selling the proper sized surrounds for specific home speaker models.

For a car sub, however, I suspect it would be difficult to find the correct replacement foam surrounds. They are thicker and have a much wider 'roll' than home speakers (the cone moves a more... "long throw"). Have you found the right foam for your sub, Neon?
jpciii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

You can find the rubber surrounds to fix it, but for the time and cost you can just buy another and pay the shipping from Canada.

Yes, they are on eBay. Roughly $152 shipped

Clarion PXW1251 1 Way 12" Car Subwoofer 729218014813 | eBay

Original manual

CLARION PFW OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download.

Repair kits, but keeping the cone centered is fun/PITA

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/spe...efoam-kits/328

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Not too long ago I picked up a jl audio dual 12w3 sealed box for $150.. Both subs work great and sound awesome in my coupe.. If you can find something similar or even just a single 12w3 I'm sure you would be pleased. Good luck
Old 02-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Ive blown a set of 12w3's before lol i was only running 125w rms to them. Also blown a few pioneers. I had a sweet pair of jensens that got stolen. Ive looked into a few subs that i think will fit the bill but the more i look it seems the more the price keeps going up from 100 to 200 lol. Ive found a few options to try to re edge my sub which is my first option. I mean what do i have to loose?

I like the planet audio bbd12 at $120 and the mb quart pwm304 at $120 also. I just dont know much about planet audio but their power ratings are really high, i can supply it with 900w rms at 2 or 1ohm and still be under its rms rating.

The rip isnt that bad, you know how most surrounds will crumble apart? My subs surround ripped at the crease on the outer edge right where the bump meets the frame. Seriously clarion went all out on this sub and i would recommend one to anyone. $118 from canada is great but being on the shelf so long i would bet the surround would probably approach the same state mine is in before long.

Last edited by NeonPinHead; 02-29-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

neon, go to home depot or a car parts store and find a small tube of rubber seal repair and adhesive.

it dries flexable and sticks very strongly to rubber and plastic.

my stepdad seems to use this on his speaker repair for all his older stuff. gives you about 6 months of daily usage before being risky to rip again

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Misease will become famous soon enoughMisease will become famous soon enoughMisease will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Misease

I've been around car audio quite a bit, and for around $100 you can't get much as far as quality goes. Of course you can run to wallmart or w/e and pickup some junk kickers or duals w/e. I would spend the extra few dollars and pick up something quality that will hold its value and take a beating. I prefer SoundQube stuff as it's about the best bang for the buck you can get on a quality sub imo. The HDS200 series is a 2.5" dvc sub for $110, you truely can't beat it. Very underrated at 600rms. Also would suggest Sundown Sa series, although they are a bit more. I've ran a lot of SQ's higher end models like the HDC15's on over 3k RMS daily. They are great quality subs.

HDS200
Misease is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
neon, go to home depot or a car parts store and find a small tube of rubber seal repair and adhesive.

it dries flexable and sticks very strongly to rubber and plastic.

my stepdad seems to use this on his speaker repair for all his older stuff. gives you about 6 months of daily usage before being risky to rip again

Lol i glues the dust cap back on with emblem adhesive. Id rather spent the $20 and get a replacement surround.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misease View Post
I've been around car audio quite a bit, and for around $100 you can't get much as far as quality goes. Of course you can run to wallmart or w/e and pickup some junk kickers or duals w/e. I would spend the extra few dollars and pick up something quality that will hold its value and take a beating. I prefer SoundQube stuff as it's about the best bang for the buck you can get on a quality sub imo. The HDS200 series is a 2.5" dvc sub for $110, you truely can't beat it. Very underrated at 600rms. Also would suggest Sundown Sa series, although they are a bit more. I've ran a lot of SQ's higher end models like the HDC15's on over 3k RMS daily. They are great quality subs.

HDS200

Like ive said i inly paid $100 for this sub and it has taken a beating over the years with no problems except the dust cap and now the surround.

Anyone hear of VM Audio? I saw a vcm120 for $110 seems built well and a lot of good reviews. Takes 1500w rms.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

some of the lanzar stuff is okay. look for the beefy style of them. a good 12 from lanzar is about 80 but will need a good tuned box to get rally good output.

Rockeville has their subwoofer line, just like you have their speakers

my 12 year old Fusion Powerplant 12s still hit stupidly freakin hard and they have been in regular use. never had to repair them

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

believe me i turned to rockville first but all their stuff is out of stock. I wonder why...

Old 02-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Misease will become famous soon enoughMisease will become famous soon enoughMisease will become famous soon enough

You wont find a sub to take a clean 1500 rms reliably for $100. Subs are already cheap, dont skimp. I would really like to see you get a quality sub like Sundown, SQ, american bass. (Just to mention a couple). Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. A sundown SA-12 and youd be stoked and if you ever get a bigger amp later on. itll take a good amount of clean power.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Well ive heard just as much about those brands as all the others. Im not big on brands. Most of the time the same damn factory in china is turning them all out.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

You're right, amost all audio equipment comes from china. Although companies like sundown and DC assemble and make the subs in the united states. Sundown is a super proven brand and probably top 3 in the entire audio industry. Both subs ive recommended are extremely cheap for the quality. Subs in general are. Good high quality monoblocks and electrical is where all your money goes.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

All im looking for is quality to match the clarion sub ill be replacing. I cant justify paying double for it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in