Converting to LED - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Default Converting to LED

Ive been pondering converting every light bulb on my civic to LED. I think the lower amperage draw would be nice. Here's a shopping list:

175x4, side markers, license plate.
1157x6, brake lights, front turn signals.
1156x5 center brake light, rear turn signals, reverse lights.
DE3022x2, dome, trunk.

Thats about all i can think of. Ill be leaving the gauge cluster as is. I dont have climate controls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I've been wanting to do the same for some time.

The 1156 and 1157 flash/blink so you will need 50A 6Ohm resistors to not have them blink ridiculously fast. Also that defeats your "lower-amperage draw" when using the flash/blink bulbs with resistors.
Sac*HXy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

For turn signals just get the flasher from auto zone. Plug and play and works with leds.
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

If your ordering online from superbrightleds.com I ordered this flasher from them CF13- JL-02, just need to remove the plastic cover and trim the pcb slightly to fit.

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up

Autozone Flasher Relay LED Compatible
Old 01-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 STRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunna

Headlights?
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON View Post
Headlights?
H4 LED Kit

Buy 2 of these use the correct metal adapter ring shown in the picture, voila!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Sounds good.
I replace my trunk with a led cod strip.
Bright as all hell, lights up the whole trunk.

I did my cluster woth a 5led bulb. So there nice and bright also.

I plan to do my reveres lights and turns. Just dont got the lose cash to spend

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I used some smd cob led's in my accords bumper turn signals, i forget the exact wattage, but I ended up not having to use a resistor.

I would like to see some more reviews on the led headlight bulb kits tho
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 03:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Headlight LEDs have not caught up to HID YET? It can't compete with out and useable light beam.
Also an FYI when buying bulbs for the front blinkers and rear tail lights. Make sure there e dual contact. This makes it so you can see the difference between lights on and when brakes are pressed. Hope that makes sense.

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 04:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_rice View Post
Headlight LEDs have not caught up to HID YET? It can't compete with out and useable light beam.
I figured they can't compare hence why they aren't popular. I might try them anyway... Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_rice View Post
Also an FYI when buying bulbs for the front blinkers and rear tail lights. Make sure there e dual contact. This makes it so you can see the difference between lights on and when brakes are pressed. Hope that makes sense.
This is important, because the OEM bulb is dual filament.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!

Yes 1157's are dual. 1156's are single.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 STRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac*HXy5 View Post
H4 LED Kit

Buy 2 of these use the correct metal adapter ring shown in the picture, voila!
What exact ring kit do i need ? Specefic model name or do i just specify that its for a 89 crx ?

Stratton
Old 01-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON View Post
What exact ring kit do i need ? Specefic model name or do i just specify that its for a 89 crx ?

Stratton
you have 9005 and 9006 bulbs

H4 will not fit

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Does anyone sell led bulbs and rings that will fir a crx ?

These halogens are so weak.

Stratton.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 HB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like Borat

Don't change from halogens to hid/led if you do not have the proper projector housing to support it. (It's illegal in most states anyways...blinds any other driver on the road.)

I'm about to try out LEDs for headlights soon myself, one thing to look out for is the lumen output. A lot of the older style bulbs are rated by watts and the difference in efficiency of leds make it confusing for most people to pick the right output of replacement LEDs for older style lights, it's best to look at the lumen output for the true amount of light they output
Old 01-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB turbo--> View Post
Don't change from halogens to hid/led if you do not have the proper projector housing to support it. (It's illegal in most states anyways...blinds any other driver on the road.)

I'm about to try out LEDs for headlights soon myself, one thing to look out for is the lumen output. A lot of the older style bulbs are rated by watts and the difference in efficiency of leds make it confusing for most people to pick the right output of replacement LEDs for older style lights, it's best to look at the lumen output for the true amount of light they output

Oh damn its illegal, im definitely not doing it... Lol

Old 01-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Stratton: buy new headlight housings first. That is a must if you have fogged/old headlights.

The H4 kit I linked comes with the adapter ring you need. Mattliston is half right. If you go look at the pictures for the LED kit, there is the adapter ring with the three small tabs that lock it into the headlight housing we have.
It will work for you Stratton.

Lumens is the key.

The ultra Sylvania halogens are rated 910/1500 lumens.

The LED kit I linked are rated 3000lumens.

HID/LEDs are illegal unless equipped from factory. And changing headlight housings to anything other than OEM replacements are illegal in California

It's just a Fix-it ticket so like a $30 fine. Keep your stock parts and swap them in IF you do get a ticket.

Last edited by Sac*HXy5; 01-19-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Lumens are made up BS with LEDs too. Lumens are not about light produced but how we humans percieve it, and it doesnt include a total output, just a single point measurement. So a .5w laser or a 500w LED could potentially both produce the same amount of lumens. This gives manufacturers a lot of play to make shit up. To compare it to rating a car:

Watts is like guessing how powerful it is by how much gas it consumes. (Must make a lot of power, it gets 5 MPG!)

Lumens is like guessing how powerful an engine is via butt dyno, without having any idea how much the car weighs or what the gear ratios are.

Radiometric output is the actual measurement of total light output. But it is rare to see this measurement.

Last edited by JoelEspinoza; 01-19-2016 at 01:19 PM.
JoelEspinoza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac*HXy5 View Post
Stratton: buy new headlight housings first. That is a must if you have fogged/old headlights.

The H4 kit I linked comes with the adapter ring you need. Mattliston is half right. If you go look at the pictures for the LED kit, there is the adapter ring with the three small tabs that lock it into the headlight housing we have.
It will work for you Stratton.

Lumens is the key.

The ultra Sylvania halogens are rated 910/1500 lumens.

The LED kit I linked are rated 3000lumens.

HID/LEDs are illegal unless equipped from factory. And changing headlight housings to anything other than OEM replacements are illegal in California

It's just a Fix-it ticket so like a $30 fine. Keep your stock parts and swap them in IF you do get a ticket.
I run truklite led headlights on my tj wrangler. Love them.

My housings in my crx have beem replaced and are in good shape.

So just order exactly what you linked above and im good ?

Ill order tn in my laptop.

Thanks.in advance.

Stratton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in