Will HIDs fit OEM EF Fog Housings? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2015, 04:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 Rexsi90 is learning the way of the DRexsi90 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Will HIDs fit OEM EF Fog Housings?

Hey guys,

As the message states, I'm wondering if there are any problems installing HIDs with my OEM EF fog lights. I have the 9005 conversion on my low beams which provides plenty of lighting but I am looking to purchase a cheap set of HIDs for my fog lights. My hope is that a cheap set will not overpower the 9005 conversion, but will provide more light than currently.

My issue, and I've searched but found very little other than context clues which lead me to believe they won't, is that I'm not confident the H3 HID bulbs will fit the OEM housing without modification due to their extended length. Modification is a non-negotiable, won't do it.

Can anyone confirm that the H3 HID bulb is longer/will fit before I go out and purchase a kit?

Thank you, in advance, for your time.

Brian
Rexsi90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2015, 05:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Iirc there are mini h3 hid bulbs out there

EDIT: H3C is the bulb line

Last edited by theotherchris; 11-22-2015 at 05:45 AM.
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 Rexsi90 is learning the way of the DRexsi90 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubie View Post
Iirc there are mini h3 hid bulbs out there

EDIT: H3C is the bulb line
Dude your totally right. Thanks man! Rep for you!

Here's a pic I found of the H3C bulb. This is definitely going to fit and for most bulbs I've seen the wires behind them are unobstructed which will allow me to fully install them in the OEM housing with no issues fitting the bracket back on.

http://www.hmhid.com/js/htmledit/kin...1322_73109.jpg
Rexsi90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Local buddy had those in his bumper lights on an 88-89 EF bumper, and it looked good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Cheaper brands just ship H3, which usually has the capsule higher than a H3 HALOGEN bulb. As mentioned a specific H3C is more compact AND puts the capsule closer to the halogen version. Light output will be nearly the same H3 vs H3C, but the H3C will have a much better beam pattern.

As far as overpowering, it depends on what housing you have. If you have the square reflector-style fogs, then they will overpower your headlights & create glare for other drivers. Projectors usually have cutoff shield to block light lower. The cutoff is much lower than the headlights and work great with HID bulbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

if youre going to do h.i.d you should look into a retrofit that way youre not blinding traffic with glare. granted youre using fog lights, it would still improve and be worth it. Ive thought about it on many occasions, I just hate the fact youll need additional ballasts for the fogs
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2015, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

I have h3c bulbs in my 92 civic fogs. Had to depin the connections to get them through the stock hole. Works fine and since it's a projector, have no issues with glare. Post pics when you get er done.

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

One thing I've thought about is getting a set of aftermarket projector-style fogs (waterproof universal style) for my beaters, then tossing some HID's in them. All my cars besides my IS300 have had horrible lighting from the factory, and advanced halogens (Sylvania, etc) barely helped at all.

If the OEM housings are plastic & you don't mind cutting them, you could always retrofit some sealed fogs into them. Amazon has a lot of inexpensive versions with a lot of good reviews and they accept HID's.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in