High output alternator for d16y8~question about eld - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default High output alternator for d16y8~question about eld

So I am looking to upgrade to a high output alternator on my Y8 to support a kick ass audio setup and any other electrical accessories I might add. I have read that the 96-00 Civics have some type of electronic load detector that prevents the alternator from outputting maximum current? I have searched on this to no avail before you guys flame me out of existence! Is there a way to disable the ELD or bypass it somehow so that the high output alternator would give me consistent power? Also, can anyone here recommend a company that builds a quality high output alternator? I have used a few excessive amperage units in the past and had good luck with them but wondered if there was something better. Thanks in advance guys for any insight into this.
cghorr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

bumpstick is about to kiss the skybumpstick is about to kiss the skybumpstick is about to kiss the skybumpstick is about to kiss the skybumpstick is about to kiss the skybumpstick is about to kiss the skybumpstick is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

Open the underhood fuse box, locate the ELD, and disconnect it.

pretty simple
Old 11-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Check out Mechman alternators. I'm using one in my 92 civic. You can also ask them about the eld cause I have no clue. Report back what you find.

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I don't know much about the eld but I know you can disable it with a chipped ecu but that would require a lot of money for the small gain your looking for, my best guess would be to pull the eld out of the under hood fuse box and then pull the metal tab out of the eld and bolt it in basically bypassing and removing the eld (I'm not sure if this could cause any harm though)

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2015, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

X2 on Mexhman!

I have had a few bass setups in my civic on the stock alternator. Still stock today but out of an accord I believe, so slightly higher amperage... Maybe not sure.

An upgrade I highly suggest is a "big 3" in other words upgrade(2ga or 0ga) 1. the charge cable between the alternator and battery(+) 2. The ground strap by the trans 3. The battery ground strap.

Oh and a capacitor.

I have had no problems with my setups. 125amp fuse to the amp. (1400watts for the sub) Could run a 150amp but just haven't needed to.
Sac*HXy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in