Power Window issue - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Default Power Window issue

Recently my 96 civic ex 's power windows have been acting weird. My drivers side switch works most of the time for the drivers side window, but never for the passenger side window. The passenger side window is 50/50 when it wants to work and most of the time will only want to go up, not down. Does this sound like a wiring issue? It doesn't seem like the switches are bad... anyone experience any of these issues before?
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

It sounds like a wiring issue but could be switch. I don't see both switching going bad at the same time tho. Check the wires in between the door and body for brakes,might be hard to see.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!

do you happen to know what colors I should be looking for?

Old 07-04-2015, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Sorry man I don't know the wire colors.

Your looking for this or something like it. Might not be that noticeable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 07-05-2015, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post

holy damn that whole connector was toast... alright sounds good. Ill start digging and see what I come up with.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Your problem might not be by the plug like the pic. Could be in the middle where the wires bend and you may not see the brake as it could be broken under the jacket of the wire. Not saying this is or isn't your problem but it is a common problem and a good place to start.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 07-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 s3v3n is learning the way of the Ds3v3n is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Yeah it might not be nearly that obvious. Pull back the sleeve and look really closely. Those wires have been exposed to 20 years of cold winters and the small gauge can easily deteriorate over time. Bust out the multimeter to quickly narrow things down.
s3v3n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post

yeah, that seems to be a pretty common thing. had a buddy of mine whose driver side did the same thing. went to a junk yard, cut a newer male pigtail off and soldered and heat shrunk it onto the old wiring. worked like a dream, except now his window motors are junk
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
yeah, that seems to be a pretty common thing. had a buddy of mine whose driver side did the same thing. went to a junk yard, cut a newer male pigtail off and soldered and heat shrunk it onto the old wiring. worked like a dream, except now his window motors are junk
I've been looking for new plugs and pins but no luck. The window motors are the 2nd common problem.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

did Honda make them different between 92-95 and 96-00?
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
did Honda make them different between 92-95 and 96-00?
Not 100% but I think they did.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 07-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 StuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

On my ek I had 2 bad wires on the pass side. Print out some pages from the fm and use a test light. You can also test the switches with a multimeter. Time consuming tho.
StuckInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

I will pull off the fenders and do some detective work as soon as time allows... thanks for the tips and potential leads on where the problem may be everyone
Old 08-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

I just wanted to touch base with everyone after I found out the gremlin I had with the windows. As stated above Hondas and a lot of other older cars over time tend to break wires in the door(inside the boot), by the connector. Well ladies and gentlemen, that was the case. I took a little different route however. I wanted to fix the problem and still re-use the connectors that snap in the door. So I snipped off the wires from each connector. I hollowed out the connector on each end. I wanted to make sure there was plenty of room for the wires to pass without any issues. I then proceeded to re-solder, heat shrink and extend every single wire in the boot. After several hours I completed the task. Everything works perfectly again. I know there are other ways to do this, but I feel this was the best way to do it. Im not too worried about the passenger side boot/wires, due to the fact I drove the car the past 10+ years on and off with little to no passengers. Thanks for the help on pointing me in to the proper direction everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door wires 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	617.2 KB
ID:	94369   Click image for larger version

Name:	door wires 2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	546.9 KB
ID:	94377   Click image for larger version

Name:	door wires 3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	94385  
Old 08-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

high 5 slo! called it
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
high 5 slo! called it
mhmm mhmm
Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyblkVTEC View Post
holy damn that whole connector was toast... alright sounds good. Ill start digging and see what I come up with.

Could have swore I posted in here but yep very common problem, Ron j helped me diagnose my windows on my 96 hx coupe and that was a picture I took to show him what I found after diagnosing the problem. Now I own a 99 ex sedan and same problem occurred but with the power locks instead of the windows, this time I depinned them all and heat shrinked every wire and used but connectors on a couple wires. Everything was working good for a month and now my rear passenger window quit working, pretty sure one of the wires broke.....

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger

Last edited by Blu3; 08-28-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in