Help!! My EX is down. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Help!! My EX is down.

Okay guys heres the situation. My car was running fine yesterday until I hit a piece of concrete that I couldn't avoid in the road. Now my car won't start. Specifics being that it will ding that the key is in but when you turn it to the on position it dies of and has nearly no power, ie. the normal engine lights/seatbelt and others are dim. I am thinking that I have a grounding issue somewhere as after disconnecting the battery terminals and replacing what I thought was the problem, the ignition switch, I went to reconnect the terminals and had zero spark. By spark I mean that little spark you see when you first put your positive battery terminal on. Can anyone give me relative insight into where a possible ground fault might be on the front left quarter of my car. I've already checked the obvious head and transmission grounds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bfm1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Also, my battery is perfect, so I know that's not the problem.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Is the tension on the alternator belt still tight?

Old 06-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

There is another ground on the t-stat as well. I would be looking for anything that got jarred loose from the impact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInFlipFlops View Post
Is the tension on the alternator belt still tight?
Yes, all of my belts are good. I checked that yesterday too as I hit a big enough puddle to hear my belts squeal. I always check after that.

Last edited by Bfm1982; 06-16-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Quotes
Old 06-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
There is another ground on the t-stat as well. I would be looking for anything that got jarred loose from the impact.
I hadn't looked there. I will check that later tonight.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, my front left tire left the ground. Rim and tire are in good shape though
Old 06-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

battery could have been brand new the day you hit that concrete. The shock of an impact is enough to damage most batteries.

Get your battery charged up and load test it at a local partsstore or battery mart

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
battery could have been brand new the day you hit that concrete. The shock of an impact is enough to damage most batteries.

Get your battery charged up and load test it at a local partsstore or battery mart
I had it tested this morning. Then started hunting for other possible damage.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Double check battery terminals.

Grab a light and check alternator main wire, make sure it wasnt loose for some reason and touching its case (ground)

verify starter wire is tight. if loose, it will overdraw on amperage.

check all underhood fuses. if only PARTIALLY blown, you will get a severe voltage drop on lights

Even with a tested battery, attempt to start while another car or truck battery is hooked up with jumpers.

Lots of weird shit goes wonky with impacts

Build what you have!

Old 06-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Double check battery terminals.

Grab a light and check alternator main wire, make sure it wasnt loose for some reason and touching its case (ground)
I will check this this evening.

Quote:
verify starter wire is tight. if loose, it will overdraw on amperage.

check all underhood fuses. if only PARTIALLY blown, you will get a severe voltage drop on lights
Checked all fuses and the starter. The main battery, 80amp, looked slightly corroded. Replaced it.

Quote:
Even with a tested battery, attempt to start while another car or truck battery is hooked up with jumpers
I've tried to start it with 2 different cars to no avail.
Quote:
Lots of weird shit goes wonky with impacts
Thanks for the help. Rep'd
Old 06-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Okay, checked the alternator. All wires are golden and all of the nuts are tight. Anyone know where another hot wire may be that could've come loose? I've checked the alternator and starter. Also, I've checked the grounds throughout and haven't found any problems. Anyone have any ideas. My dashboard looks like I'm having a brownout leading me to believe that I have a a grounded power someplace. I have a fully charged battery and everything works until I turn the key.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Mighta mentioned it somewhere, but Im missing it. Is this car an automatic or a manual?

If manual, I want you to get all twisty toasty on your car seat and check the clutch switch. Unplug it and use a piece of speaker wire or a paperclip to bridge connection, and attempt a start.

If automatic, you should jack up the vehicle, toss it on a jackstand or two, and look and see if the shifter cables were damaged at all.

Build what you have!

Old 06-17-2015, 04:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Mighta mentioned it somewhere, but Im missing it. Is this car an automatic or a manual?
It's a manual.

Quote:
If manual, I want you to get all twisty toasty on your car seat and check the clutch switch. Unplug it and use a piece of speaker wire or a paperclip to bridge connection, and attempt a start.

If automatic, you should jack up the vehicle, toss it on a jackstand or two, and look and see if the shifter cables were damaged at all.
I've already jumped the neutral safety switch. I did that before it was my car. lol
Old 06-17-2015, 04:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....

You may have said it but I'm too lazy to read through this... What is the alternator output voltage at the battery?
Old 06-17-2015, 04:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
You may have said it but I'm too lazy to read through this... What is the alternator output voltage at the battery?
I'll have it home in the garage today. Having it towed from it's resting place. I'll check this as soon as it arrives.
Wouldn't the car need to be running in order to check the alternator output?
Old 06-17-2015, 05:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfm1982 View Post
I'll have it home in the garage today. Having it towed from it's resting place. I'll check this as soon as it arrives.
Wouldn't the car need to be running in order to check the alternator output?
Yes, it would. I read were you said the battery is good, cables are good, grounds that you see are good, and I was assuming you measured battery voltage. If you didn't then nevermind.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:34 AM   #18 (permalink)

Battery voltage without anything is 12.78 v. With the key in the acc position and the on position it is the same. I'm now thinking that maybe a relay could've popped when I bounced. Other than that I'm stumped.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Does the engine crank over at all? Or is this crank, no start?
Old 06-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Does the engine crank over at all? Or is this crank, no start?
I get absolutely nothing when I turn the key. It's like I'm throwing a power switch and turning everything off. Even the door ding stops when I put it in the on position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in