2 alternators dead in less than 6 months.. what to look at? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 car_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Default 2 alternators dead in less than 6 months.. what to look at?

As the title says I killed another alternator this weekend. It just has low voltage output the same thing happened to the one before but started with bearing noise. I've recently changed the battery which I thought was the cause for the first one to fail but now I'm thinking wiring? Both alts have come from NAPA so maybe even just a bad batch of remans? What wiring things should I look into? I'm usually pretty good with this stuff but at the moment I am stumped. I am thinking about upgrading the charge cable to 8ga as the ends look a little rough on my current charge wire. Any and all help is appreciated!
91 hatch; stock internal z6, y7 cam swap, 5431 12.6psi, - [email protected]
2009 Infinity G37; [email protected]

07 R6s; slip on, k&n, Powercomander 3, Factory pro velocity stacks, Factory Pro +4 iginition [email protected]
car_freak66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

If the FR wire gets grounded it will full field the alternator which can* damage it, usually damages other things too thou. Napa brand alts? The shop I work for uses Remey and seems to have great success with them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 20 jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!
jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!

I sell Remy Remans and they're hit and miss. Only good part is the lifetime warranty. If you go for a Remy, get new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 EH9 RIP -- 1992 BB2 RIP -- 1992 CB7 RIP
2004 Ram 1500 QCSB Hemi
jmn822000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I always have the auto store test the Alt before purchasing.. One guy looked at me crazy and was annoyed, but when the alt was faulty right from the box, he seemed surprised..

You'd be surprised how many remans are garbage right out of the box.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

For electrics I've had best luck with O'Reilys....burnt too many times by Durajunk from Autozone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Double check belt isnt over tensioned.

Have battery tested. Battery could be shorted internally or even just in dire need of a case cleaning.

I suppose checking the harness for breaks would be a good idea. Check connection at fuse box as well. Double check when installing you arent turning the positive wire stud by accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2015, 05:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 car_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
For electrics I've had best luck with O'Reilys....burnt too many times by Durajunk from Autozone.
They are currently building one here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Double check belt isnt over tensioned.

Have battery tested. Battery could be shorted internally or even just in dire need of a case cleaning.

I suppose checking the harness for breaks would be a good idea. Check connection at fuse box as well. Double check when installing you arent turning the positive wire stud by accident.
Belt is just tight enough that it stops squealing on start up but it is snug.

I know the battery is good because even at -20 it will start the car and has sat for a month straight and still fired right up. Its also pretty new.

I just need to find a wiring diagram for the alt and thats a good idea to check the stud.

07 R6s; slip on, k&n, Powercomander 3, Factory pro velocity stacks, Factory Pro +4 iginition [email protected]
Old 03-09-2015, 05:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Never a bad idea to upgrade your wiring. Most guys never seem to think that bad grounds are the culprit. Also go up a size over your power wire. This will help as well. I did the big 3 upgrade (google) and have never had an issue with power. I have 2 amps running g my system and the headlights never dim on the stock alt. A shorted or corroded wire can kill and alt very fast.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 Kevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like Borat

Most cases of blown alternators are from bad groundwires.
Kevinio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2015, 06:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Denso makes good remans! Had an alternator hold up for a good while now.

Also on a side note my OE alternator for my yota has 400k on it right now (Denso).

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....

400k on a Toy? Which one?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

91 2wd pickup. 22re of course.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

NAPA alternators are garbage.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
Denso makes good remans! Had an alternator hold up for a good while now.

Also on a side note my OE alternator for my yota has 400k on it right now (Denso).
Yup I've had good luck with mine as well. Xotic says he's seen a lot of bad ones at his store though so I guess it's just the luck of the draw

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinio View Post
Most cases of blown alternators are from bad groundwires.
Ok so this got me thinking....

Painted block or alternator bracket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hoove View Post
Never a bad idea to upgrade your wiring. Most guys never seem to think that bad grounds are the culprit. Also go up a size over your power wire. This will help as well. I did the big 3 upgrade (google) and have never had an issue with power. I have 2 amps running g my system and the headlights never dim on the stock alt. A shorted or corroded wire can kill and alt very fast.
I will google the big 3 upgrade. I do have 2ga power and ground from the battery to the starter and trans mount bracket. I also have a single 10ga wire from the alt adjuster bracket to the shock bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Ok so this got me thinking....

Painted block or alternator bracket?
Nope. What are your thoughts though?

Old 03-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

I ran 2/0 gauge from the alt to the batt. From batt to trans. Also ran 4 Guage from my power steering to chassis. Cb7 (accord). Never had an issue.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 05:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

So looking at the big 3 thing my ground side is done and I just need to do the positive side. So I ordered a power stud and my charging system should be solid. I might end up rebuilding a oem one I have laying around too. The track opens April 4th and I cant wake to make some passes on a properly tuned set up.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Look up a local repair place that will work on OEM alternators & starters. I am lucky there's one literally down the street. They fix them for a fraction of what a reman'd costs, and this place even repaired a unit they'd fixed a year previous (stuck brush) for free in 10 minutes. Places like these can't survive if they let their reputation go to shit, since most of the time it's word of mouth advertising.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
Look up a local repair place that will work on OEM alternators & starters. I am lucky there's one literally down the street. They fix them for a fraction of what a reman'd costs, and this place even repaired a unit they'd fixed a year previous (stuck brush) for free in 10 minutes. Places like these can't survive if they let their reputation go to shit, since most of the time it's word of mouth advertising.
^This, and if you are running extra stuff (amps/stereo) they can also rewind the alternator to put out more amperage if needed.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in