No power to anything - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default No power to anything

I've got a 95 civic dx d16y8 swap.. I've been driving it for a year and half and no problem. Last night I used it to jump my truck and was all fine. Few hours later went to leave, opened the door dome light came on, put the key in and turned one click all dash lights came on, went to start it and everything shutoff, now none of the lights work, can't hear anything click when I turn the key..

I checked all the fuses and they're all good, changed the 80amp battery fuse and 50amp ig fuse, battery I just bought last year and just tried jumping it and jumper cables sparked so it's got juice, and battery terminals are not corroded at all.. I need help. I've tried searching and didn't really come up with anything. I need this fixed ASAP because this is my only car.
swapd95dx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Need help, Civic has no power what so ever - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Ok thank you I've spent the last hour searching an never saw anything about it.. I knew I'd take some sh*t but I knew I would get a quick answer. Thanks again

Old 11-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapd95dx View Post
Ok thank you I've spent the last hour searching an never saw anything about it.. I knew I'd take some sh*t but I knew I would get a quick answer. Thanks again
I was going to give you some shit about not searching, but Ill let you slide this time
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Ok I just got a new relay and it didn't do anything.. Do you have any other suggestions that I could try? Is there anyway to test the battery and know for sure it's good without taking it somewhere? I don't see why the battery would just stop producing power in a split second though.. Also I read the posts on the link you gave and he said his hazards were still working, mine are not. I don't know if that counts for anything.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Sorry should've specified "any way to test battery without a multimeter" because I dont have one
Old 11-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

get a test light and check the fuses in the under hood box. you may have cooked something and just haven't noticed. also, try and jump the starter and see if it makes an attempt.
also, check all grounds
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 11-15-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Sorry should've specified "any way to test battery without a multimeter" because I dont have one
no, your stuck taking it somewhere, what temp is it? that could be a factor as well. low volts below freezing isnt going to cut it. autometer volt gauge $45 would help at a time like this
racejunke13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 RonJ is almost a somebodyRonJ is almost a somebodyRonJ is almost a somebodyRonJ is almost a somebody

If the battery has full charge, then try cleaning the G1 battery ground wire and bolt attached to the chassis with a wire brush.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Ok thanks guys for the suggestions.. I borrowed a buddy's voltage meter and starting working my way from the battery on up and turns out when the previous owner relocated the battery they put in a box to connect the large cable to the stock cable without splicing it and one wire had come loose just barely enough to not get a solid connection. Tightened that down and everything came back. I've learned my lesson, I will be investing in a voltage meter for myself and always check the little shit.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
...the previous owner relocated the battery
The cause of a majority of electrical problem threads on this forum.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Quote:
Ok thanks guys for the suggestions.. I borrowed a buddy's voltage meter and starting working my way from the battery on up and turns out when the previous owner relocated the battery they put in a box to connect the large cable to the stock cable without splicing it and one wire had come loose just barely enough to not get a solid connection. Tightened that down and everything came back. I've learned my lesson, I will be investing in a voltage meter for myself and always check the little shit.
if I were you, Id redo the wiring.

I went to home depot and got some 2guage wiring. and did this

battery to fuse box. battery to ground. and battery to starter. heat shrink and crimps

starter wire

alternator to battery
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

Welding shop has better wire. And go 0 gauge if you can. Especially if you are running from the trunk. I redid the big 3 upgrade with 2/0 gauge and no issues. True high strand oxygen free copper. Also clean your grounds and replace all your engine grounds with bigger wire. Trans to body, head to body etc. If you have an I'm ground do that as well. 4 Guage is good size for these. Or 2 gauge for the trans ground. I have 10 gauge to p/s pump. 4 gauge from p/s to body. 2/0 from trans to battery 4 gauge from batt to body per original layout on my accord. Just redid all the originals in bigger sizes.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.

Last edited by the hoove; 11-16-2014 at 05:47 PM.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

welding shops sell wire?
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

Yes they do. It's industrial ground wire for their welding machines. Nice stuff too.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

hmmm. good info to know. I used this stuff because my car had a hard time starting. threw the big shit at it, and never had a problem sense. the industrial stuff, is it still or flexible? may be a plan for the amp wiring
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
hmmm. good info to know. I used this stuff because my car had a hard time starting. threw the big shit at it, and never had a problem sense. the industrial stuff, is it still or flexible? may be a plan for the amp wiring
Real good for amp wiring. Just get to fresh metal for your grounds. Depending on what you amp calls for and the distance. Minimum 4 gauge.
Plus fresh wiring is always a good thing.

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Alright I agree couldn't be a bad idea to redo all wiring.. Would all the new wires around the heat of the motor be ok without the flexible plastic tubing around it or be smart to get some of that? I know the wiring harness is all wrapped in it. Just curious.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludepatrick View Post
The cause of a majority of electrical problem threads on this forum.
id say a hacked wiretuck is #1, but this would be a close second.
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2014, 05:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Alright I agree couldn't be a bad idea to redo all wiring.. Would all the new wires around the heat of the motor be ok without the flexible plastic tubing around it or be smart to get some of that? I know the wiring harness is all wrapped in it. Just curious.
Not all the wires are covered. My grounds weren't. They should be fine but you can if you want to.

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in