bad amp or bad speaker? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default bad amp or bad speaker?

I'm trying to find out if my speaker is blown or my amp is bad. I suspect the amp because one side is not functioning well and the bad sound goes away after a few minutes. I have infinity reference 6/9's powered by an old Fosgate 600.4 amp. Only one side was working the speakers correctly so that's why I'm thinking the amp is going out I have the front and rears wired in at 2ohms and it's only the rear passenger one that seems to do it. Again this seems to clear up once everything "warms up" so I'm still leaning towards the amp. Let me know what you guys think
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 559civic_dx is hot as a volcano559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 21 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hoove View Post
I'm trying to find out if my speaker is blown or my amp is bad. I suspect the amp because one side is not functioning well and the bad sound goes away after a few minutes. I have infinity reference 6/9's powered by an old Fosgate 600.4 amp. Only one side was working the speakers correctly so that's why I'm thinking the amp is going out I have the front and rears wired in at 2ohms and it's only the rear passenger one that seems to do it. Again this seems to clear up once everything "warms up" so I'm still leaning towards the amp. Let me know what you guys think

Simple way to test any speaker get the 2 wires from speaker + and - and touch then to a battery like car batery or battery to a drill. Just tap the wires to the battery. The speaker will do a little pop if it makes the pop speaker is good if It doesn't it's bad. Listen to pop sound quality if it's a nice snap or some ugly crackle

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 1996 hatch build in progress

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
559civic_dx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

Ok. It's just so weird I'm also going to hook up another amp I have laying around. This is a known good amp too so I'll give it a try. Someone in another forum while searching said that the caps could be going bad hence why after the amp runs for a bit it clears up. We'll see.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

I have a tweeter that's crackling/working intermitently. One of the solder joints on the tweeter had failed so the wire had bad/intermittent connection. Just another thing to look at.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

True. I did do crimp connections ( flame suit on). I'll get in there and look at it. Solder if I have to

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 HB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like Borat

I would check the caps, they can go bad over time.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!

Check your rcas also. They do go bad.

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Did some adjustments on the stereo because the tweets in the back were sounding too bright. Also lowered the bass out of the speakers themselves. The system is more reliant on the subs now for bass and the seem clear now. I plan on swapping the amp out anyways and while it's out I'm gonna resolder the speaker wires to the rear deck. Plan on installing my 6.5 components up front. What do you guys think about placement. Up high or by the speakers? I'm thinking up high but I'll have to breakout the fiberglass.

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

I have my tweeters installed in the stock speaker grills up front (yay dremels). They provide a very nice sound-scape.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

So they are mounted low by the speakers not in the door pods up high. I have a cb7 accord so there is no factory tweeter.

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Mine either I modified the stock grills. IIRC you want the tweeter as close to the center of the woofer as possible for optimal sound distribution. I think that's part of the reason the "all-in-one" mount the tweety bit in the center (the other being simplicity).

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm just going to mount them low and angle them up so they point towards the middle about chest hieght. Should keep them nice and clear because the coaxials currently are being overpowered by the rears and dissappear into the sound field.

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!

Did they ever make q form kick panels for your car? The way the mount are supposed be ideal. If not maybe you could use the design and glass something similar.

RIP CALI NOOB
Old 10-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

I was thinking about that. I haven't seen the kick panels for my car. I'm just going to mount them together in the door.

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Well decided to pull the trigger and ordered a new Fosgate 4ch amp. Should be here by Tuesday. Then I can dial in the sound much better as well as mount my components up front.

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Don't forget pics!

RIP CALI NOOB
Old 10-31-2014, 08:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

I may have to have one of you guys post them up for me. I've never been able to figure that out. Lol

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Id mount the tweets lower so they dont get as harsh right in your face.

Or in the apillar but off axis facing not directly at you
Skip01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

I haven't installed them yet but with my new amp I turned the gain down on the back speakers. Fixed my imaging alot. Sounds so much better. Need to add more bass to the speakers because only the subs are driving the low end and I've lost some of my mid bass as a result.

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in