Erratic speedometer question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Erratic speedometer question

Hey guys, thought I would see if this problem sounds familiar before I start throwing money at it. About a week ago my speedometer had started to act goofy. When I turn the ignition on, the speedo instantly goes to 22 mph. As I start to accelerate, the speedo jumps between 20 and 30, and the distance the needle shakes decreases as I accelerate. After I'm going about 5mph the needle is stationary at about 25, and it stays there until I slow down below 5 mph again, where the needle starts jumping again. No check engine light, and rarely the speedometer might start working correctly again until I shut the car off. Car is a 94 ex 5 speed. Odometer/trip is not working either now. Is this a cluster problem, or should I start swapping the speed sensor/vss? Also the speedo was always 10mph faster than my actual speed, although I have stock size tires. Any input would be fantastic, I haven't been able to find other threads with this specific problem. Thanks, wood.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Sorry to thread jack, but I have this almost exact problem. Mine just seems to jump all over most of the time. It will actually work maybe 25% of the time.
micah_jones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 DontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Check the back curcuit board for burned broken connections
DontGrabMeThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had the same problem and mines was the speed sensor, do you know anyone you can swap clusters with to see if the problem continues?
Ralphyeg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontGrabMeThere View Post
Check the back curcuit board for burned broken connections
This

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I would try a cluster swap or check the board in back for loose connections like previously stated. Nice camaro in your avatar. I miss my 79 with a 454 daily, then I remember immediately afterward spending $30 a day just in gas driving to work.
racejunke13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 05:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

My 94 does it. Sometimes it will jump and go all the way around at like 40 mph and wont come back. Found a fix, break 100 mph and it jumps back into place.

Shifted into 2nd the needle seems to accelerate like ratio is off. Most likely the VSS.

3rd gear it hits the back of the pin.

Happens a few times a year doesn't really bother me.

Last edited by CripTofer; 06-10-2014 at 05:35 AM.
CripTofer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

First thing I would check is the VSS plug for dirt/corrosion and clean all that up first and make sure the tranny ground is hooked up and clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

@ CripTopher - yours is doing what mine did a couple weeks ago, it was corrosion on the back of the speedo backing, I cleaned it up and have had good luck. Also cleaned out the pins and checked the plugs at the back connection.

@ Wood - Sounds like you have a corroded vss as stated above and a bit of dirt or corrosion on the back speedo as well. I pulled my VSS and adjusted the pins to hold better and put electro grease shyt on them to combat corrosion and what I said above for my speedo.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
@ CripTopher - yours is doing what mine did a couple weeks ago, it was corrosion on the back of the speedo backing, I cleaned it up and have had good luck. Also cleaned out the pins and checked the plugs at the back connection.

@ Wood - Sounds like you have a corroded vss as stated above and a bit of dirt or corrosion on the back speedo as well. I pulled my VSS and adjusted the pins to hold better and put electro grease shyt on them to combat corrosion and what I said above for my speedo.
but why not just make the 11 a 10
racejunke13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

...these go to 11.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Don't have a cluster to swap with, hopefully I'll be able to find one by this weekend. I'll also have to check the vss. I'll report back when I find out what works/what doesn't. Thanks.

@racejunke13, I love the car, but the stock 180 hp isn't enough to move those tanks!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

super super common eg problem, its the speedo itself. your options are to swap clusters or swap speedos...its basically never the vss

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

swap clusters
Old 06-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

If you have access to a multimeter, you can check polarity on the wiring to rule out the VSS as well. Quick search on here will tell you which wires.

All suspension mods.
FullOutPwr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Update: swapped clusters, problem solved. Speedo is also accurate now as well. Haven't taken apart the old cluster to see of there were any bad connections, might take a soldering iron to it in my spare time and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in