optima red top battery 6 years oil and counting - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default optima red top battery 6 years oil and counting

i was bored so i figured i would post this up. back when i got my CRX in 08 it came with a new optima battery, so this is a good long term write up.

the previous owner made the mistake on mounting a regular battery in the trunk. it leaked all over and rusted out the trunk floor. so he put an optima red top in before I purchased the car. heres a pic of the rust after i gutted the car 3 years later..

since January my car has been in the body shop getting restored and i was getting ready to take it back. it sat in the corner untouched for 3 months after they deleted the sunroof with a new roof and put a new trunk floor in. on the day i stopped by with my tow truck the car was out of the corner of there property and in the shop. they couldn't get it to start, my car has an ecu issue where you have to leave the key on run until the engine light turns off and fuel pump primes. on top of that the battery was left hooked up and it was badly drained.

i thought i was going to need a new battery. but according to a video on youtube you need a special charger for optima batteries or you have to charge it along side another battery or the charger will throw a fault code. they also said in the video that most optima batteries that test bad and people get rid of can usually be revived.

it took 3 days on the charger but i was able to revive the battery.

for those that dont know these batteries are sealed and use gel so they don't leak. i went ahead and put one in my 02 maxima got it for $100 plus battery swap from a friend that wrecked his car...
uptownsamcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

You Get what you Pay for.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 HB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I've been using optima batteries for ~8yrs, not the best battery and their made in Mexico;
But they are supposed to use a special charger, found switching between a old school bat. Charger and a trickle charger ( usually 3 times in day or two will always bring mine back from the dead)

The only reason I've used them is large sound systems and can find locally

Old 06-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

No charges with AGM charging work well.

If no money for a new charger use an old charger and set it ever keeps the battery from getting 15.5 volts or higher.

Over volting those AGM batteries for a while (over a minute but sure how long) will kill them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
ENMO.

An Emo car would cut its own tires and never get out of the garage.
92CXyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
Alternator: 13.3 to 15.0 volts
Battery Charger (Constant Voltage): 13.8 to 15.0 volts; 10 amps maximum; 6-12 hours approximate
Float Charge: 13.2 to 13.8 volts; 1 amp maximum; (indefinite time at lower voltages)
Rapid Recharge: Maximum voltage 15.6 volts. No current limit as long as battery
(Constant voltage charger) temperature remains below 125F (51.7C). Charge until
current drops below 1 amp.
All limits must be strictly adhered to.

Recharge Time: (example assuming 100% discharge – 10.5 volts)
Current Approximate time to 90% charge
100 amps
50 amps
25 amps
35 minutes
75 minutes
140 minutes

Recharge time will vary according to temperature and charger characteristics. When using
Constant Voltage chargers, amperage will taper down as the battery becomes recharged. When
amperage drops below 1 amp, the battery will be close to a full state of charge.

(All charge recommendations assume an average room temperature of 77F (25C).

Always wear safety glasses when working with batteries.

Always use a voltage regulated battery charger with limits set to the above ratings. Overcharging
can cause the safety valves to open and battery gases to escape, causing premature end of life.
These gases are flammable! You cannot replace water in sealed batteries that have been
overcharged. Any battery that becomes very hot while charging should be disconnected
immediately.

Not fully charging a battery can result in poor performance and a reduction in capacity.

from their manual - and just because something is built in mexico doesn't mean it's automatically inferior in quality to something built in the USA.

especially for batteries.
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
from their manual - and just because something is built in mexico doesn't mean it's automatically inferior in quality to something built in the USA.

especially for batteries.
As said. And most stuff is made in Mexico. Even some of the American cars are build there.

Also i had a yellow top for 3 yrs and never had a problem with it dying

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Optima's batteries are made by Johnson Control, the same company that makes Honda batteries. They are hit or miss with the newer ones but yours being 5+ years old its probably one made in the USA

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

They new ones fail more than the pre-Mexico ones. I had several. I will no longer buy them. Deka makes about the best batteries now, IMO, especially for the price and in smaller than stock sizes (like the Optima 680, but less expensive and better made, IMO).

Just because a certain company is owned by another company doesn't make any of that particular brand's products any good at all.

It's all a crap shoot these days, anyway.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in