Diodes for Relays - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default Diodes for Relays

Which Diodes do you use to protect your electronics when using 30/40A relays?

Thinking 1N4001.

Do you use Zener Diodes as well?

How do you like to wire them up?

Do you use them?

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=59131.0

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/t...-1n4001.20794/
"1N4148's have been used for decades across relay coils, and never been a problem."

Tiiiiiggghhtt..
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1975159

Last edited by TheToaster; 04-30-2014 at 05:46 PM.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

bumpstick is about to kiss the skybumpstick is about to kiss the skybumpstick is about to kiss the skybumpstick is about to kiss the skybumpstick is about to kiss the skybumpstick is about to kiss the skybumpstick is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

I usually use relays with a diode built in but any 1A diode should work.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

How to tell if diode built it?

Multimeter will tell with continuity?

Waiting on 9Vs.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
How to tell if diode built it?

Multimeter will tell with continuity?

Waiting on 9Vs.
continuity checks wont work on diodes because they usually have a 1.6 (for sillicon) or .125 (lowest for schottky diodes) forward voltages. Anything under 1.6 volts will not short the circuit on a sillicon diode. You need a meter able to test diodes.

You can use a zener diode, but they ususally have a much higher forward voltage starting at around 2.4 volts, if that is an issue. Running current through the diode to a light would work to test a diode without a tester.

EDIT: i read up on what your trying to do, you definitly do not want to use a zener diode, the forward voltage is too high and may come on too late to actually help with the electrical discharge. I would stick with either schottky or silicon diodes.

Last edited by cervan; 04-30-2014 at 11:11 PM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 06:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 HB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Yeah, no zeners. They are usually used to stabilize voltage in power supplies and such.

1n4001 should work fine ( and the fowar voltage is like 0.7v on these)

To test the forward voltage the best way is to use the diode setting on the multimeter, but a lot of the cheap ones can't test the higher forward voltage diodes

Last edited by HB turbo-->; 05-01-2014 at 06:13 AM.
HB turbo--> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

The diode is just to deal with the massive spike that can happen when the coil de-energizes. I won't go into the boring theory, all that matters is you use at least 1N4001. It is a 1 amp diode that can take a continuous 50 volt spike, or a very short, very high spike. You're dealing with the coil's power rating & spikes, not the load. They are very cheap. 1N4002 & higher just increase the voltage rating.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to JaredKaragen Send a message via AIM to JaredKaragen

I generally default to 1n4004 just due to its readily availableness and wide application range.

1n4001 should be find for relays

Zener is more specific for RF applications if I'm not mistaken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
*Signup Required*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 DelSol Si : B18C1/I/H/E Totalled. Swap is sold. Soon to part out.

Pat: You will be remembered.
JaredKaragen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!

I used a 1A diode wired facing backwards IIRC.

I have a video of the spike somewhere in my build thread.
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks guys, glad I caught this mod,

Any others you can think of needed to be done when Setting up DIY Relay/Fuse Box?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Clamping Diode

Check radio Shack, I picked up 4 on saturday for $4

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

zenier diodes work well for capping voltages, like say... if this was 1999 and you had a turbo honda with a hack fueling system and no EM and needed to keep the ecu from seeing about 0.0 psi on a stock map sensor

(and didn't want to shell out the $60 or whatever that garbage ass missing link cost)
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Clamping diode where?
Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fodo View Post
I used a 1A diode wired facing backwards IIRC.

I have a video of the spike somewhere in my build thread.
Looks like a clamping diode.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
Old 05-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!

Lol, no Cali. I just bent it and soldered it well. But I did put a piece of heat shrink on it for fun.
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Gotta love English.

You can call anything whatever you want and always be right with enough arguing.

I've always heard that called a Rectifier Diode.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

I think you may be mistaken. A Diode is part of a rectifier, which is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction.

Hence why in an alternator, there is a diode rectifier bridge. Its a series of clamping diodes.

But honestly, in todays market you can probably buy either one. Adding to the confusion.

I just used 4 clamping diodes on my yota to run trailer lights from a 6 pin to a 4 pin.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
Old 05-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Good thing radio shacks are still around cuz I have to make a trip today to pick up some more diodes, resistors, and heat shrink.
jmaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

eBay is so much Cheaper and better in almost every way,

Also, how to do on a 5 pin relay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in