Pioneer deck - audio cutting out - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Pioneer deck - audio cutting out

This might get lengthy, but I'm beating my head against a wall and want to explain this as clearly as possible the first time around.

I've been searching for a while now, and haven't come across anything like this. Three years ago I bought a Pioneer DEH-2200UB, cheap, run-of-the mill deck that I had no intention of keeping for very long. Ended up hanging onto it a lot longer than I planned. Last summer, it randomly started cutting out while I was driving. As in, it would stay powered up and playing, but the audio would cut out. All six speakers, all at the same time. Then, it would randomly cut back in and life would be fine until it decided to cut out again. Again, the CD or iPod or whatever would keep playing (you could watch the numbers on screen as it played) but no audio whatsoever. It also didn't matter if it was radio, CD, AUX, or USB.

I did discover a couple of things.. if I hit a bump in the road really hard, it would sometimes come back to life, or at least crackle at me. Also, if I turned Loudness off and bass down to zero, and kept the volume moderate or low, it would usually work just fine. Turn loudness back on, it would cut out.

I knew all of my connections were good, so I assumed it was a problem in the deck, seeing as it was cheap in the first place and it was now 2 1/2 years old, so I bought a new one and upgraded to a Pioneer DEHX2600UI. While I was installing it, I went over all of my connections in-dash. I fixed a couple that looked a little iffy, and the rest looked fine. Everything firmly wired together, no exposed wires, etc.

I bought this deck right before Christmas. It worked perfectly until 2 days ago, when it started doing the same thing my old one was doing. Randomly cuts out while driving, sometimes will cut back if I turn the volume down or hit a pothole. Otherwise, it just stays off until it feels like coming back on.

Now, here's what I do know.. I have four Pioneer 6 1/2s, and the two factory tweeters. No subs, no amp, nothing else. The wiring for the back speakers is a little janky from the previous owner, but it seemed to work so I didn't mess with it any further. I know that all of my connections going to the deck are good. If I hit a bump, it will crackle or cut back in sometimes. If I sit there and smack the bottom of the dash, though, I get nothing, so the whole bump thing might be coincidence.

If it was one channel cutting out or one speaker cutting out, or the whole deck powering off, I would suspect wiring. As far as I know, though, all of the wiring, except for a little bit in the trunk, is original and unmolested. Also, as far as I know, a short somewhere wouldn't cause the deck to keep playing but lose all audio simultaneously, unless I'm completely mistaken.

The fact that I had this problem with an old Pioneer, then I replaced it and it fixed the problem for 2 months and now the problem is back all of a sudden, kind of leads me to believe that there's a quality-control issue over at Pioneer. I guess before I get ahold of them though, just wondering if anybody has any idea what else it could be besides the deck.

I spend about 10-15 hours a week driving, so it's starting to get really old, dealing with this same problem again..
junk_ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 HUFFING x GAS is a name known to allHUFFING x GAS is a name known to allHUFFING x GAS is a name known to allHUFFING x GAS is a name known to allHUFFING x GAS is a name known to allHUFFING x GAS is a name known to allHUFFING x GAS is a name known to allHUFFING x GAS is a name known to all

Have you done this?
Continuity test for resistance from:
12v power source supply before and after fuse -to- Power input at deck.
12v acc power source supply before and after fuse-to- Acc source input at deck.
Ground source at chassis -to- Ground input at deck.

I read that you said the display would still work when it cut out. So its a shot in the dark.

Also check all of the speaker wires, especially doors, for any shorts to ground (more resistance tests). When you check them, attempt to wiggle all the wires around when doing it. This might expose a fault that only appears when hitting a bump and a wire grounds out.

I just replaced the driver door speaker wires in my EG. Though I cant remember if my other door would cut out at the same time.

Worth a look though. GL
HUFFING x GAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

You sir describe a grounded out spreaker/ speaker wire. Have the speakers been changed before? I used to see this all the time on chevy trucks with blown speakers. Start with checking the connections at the speakers and then ohm out each speaker individually. Also great advice from Huffing.
irunyoujog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUFFING x GAS View Post
Also check all of the speaker wires, especially doors, for any shorts to ground (more resistance tests). When you check them, attempt to wiggle all the wires around when doing it. This might expose a fault that only appears when hitting a bump and a wire grounds out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irunyoujog View Post
You sir describe a grounded out spreaker/ speaker wire. Have the speakers been changed before? I used to see this all the time on chevy trucks with blown speakers. Start with checking the connections at the speakers and then ohm out each speaker individually. Also great advice from Huffing.
This
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in