EG6 Fog Lights going on a 1994 DX Hatchback - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 32 Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default EG6 Fog Lights going on a 1994 DX Hatchback

Hi All,
I am installing EG6 fog lights on my '94 EH2, read somewhere that 1994 and 1995 cars were pre-wired for fogs, does anybody know if this is true? I have my front bumper cover off and I don't see any pigtails lol, I'm either not looking in the right place (maybe they tucked them somewhere out of sight in the engine bay?) or perhaps it was only pre-wired for the Si (EH3), I dunno. It's not the end of the world, the lights came with the factory harness, was only hoping to save myself some work here.

For the record, OEM Stanley fogs with OEM harness and switch...

Any input or advice is appreciated here, thanks, as always, in advance...
Rob

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Cali Noob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 32 Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Well, I can honestly say after a couple hours into the project, it is harder than you would think it is lol, cutting the bumper without fucking the finish is tough, taking my time with it, want it to come out as clean as possible. Sure could go for a dremel tool with a little death wheel attached, could have been done by now. Using hack and sawzall blades by hand for most of this, got a reciprocating saw for the big cuts I can actually reach the big ol' chunky thing

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 HB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I'm not sure on yours, but all the civics I've seen w/ fog lights from factory have it wired and have a button for fogs by the dimmer. (Fogs were a factory option though)

But the wiring is simple and just takes an hr or less, and you can wire them in to come on w/ your regular lights.
HB turbo--> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

My car didn't come with fogs, I don't know that any USDM cars did, I had read on another site that 94-95 came pre-wired for them though. I looked all up and down my harness in the engine bay and no fog light harness was found, so, myth busted.

There is a lot to be said for having the right tool for the job, I had a full size jig saw, sawzall bllade, and and hacksaw blade to cut out the "side vents" on the front bumper, a dremel kit would have been perfect, or another system designed to make detail cuts in confined areas.

Now my fingers hurt, knuckles are all bloodied up, and I'm sore as shit head to toe, feels pretty damn good! This is my first real work I've done since recovering from surgery, laying on my back for the last 3 months has caused me a serious loss of strength and stamina, need to get back on the horse so to speak, start doing stuff again, this was perfect. Got my lights mounted and wired behind the bumper and lip installed, just need to finish wiring the lights through the engine bay to the dash and that will all be done...then the radio...then the left door handles and latch...and the brakes once my parts show up. Got plenty to keep myself busy, at the rate I'm going, for awhile lol

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Let me know if you ever need help bro. I also have a dremel lol
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Thanks man...I have one too, in my tool box in Livermore, just didn't have access to it today is all. Thinking about going to Ronnel's this weekend for a little help with my door, not sure if you are available, maybe we can hit up Sammo and Pat and anybody else that is down and do a mini-meet bbq or something.

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

So, I'm almost done, or at least I think I'm almost done, wiring my fog lights, I know they are powered at the fuse block by plugging the harness into the 2nd from the right accessory terminal...but there are 2 wires, a thin one and a thick one...nothing I have read mentions 2 wires at this stage.

Anybody care to straighten me out here? Really don't want to fry my car by hooking the wrong thing up...

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

can you post pics of where those two wires go in the harness of the fog lights?this way i or some one else can tell you 100% what there for..

my guess is the white one is power in and the red one is a switch signal..but thats just a guess at this point...

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Found this on another Honda site (Honda-Tech, thanks deschlong):

So, I put the skinny wire on the 2nd to the right terminal (C91Eight) and the fat wire on the middle one (C917), I've got power at the switch when my headlights are on (the little green indicator light comes on) but no lights on at the bumper...

Function > Form

RTFM!!!

Last edited by Cali Noob; 02-18-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

yes sir..the big one is ignition power for relay and the little one is power for the switch and switch light...

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 02-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
I also have a cool title

Rep Power: 21 98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!
98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 98CiviCn00b

Are you saying you press the button and the button lights up but your fogs do not turn on?

Quote:
waiting to hear from this dude right now bout that tranny. lol...hopefully he will meet me somewhere.
98CiviCn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98CiviCn00b View Post
Are you saying you press the button and the button lights up but your fogs do not turn on?
no..you know how you turn your headlights on and the back round of the switch lights up showing you what the switch is for...thats what im talking about..

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 02-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Thanks...now I just need to figure out why the lights don't come on at the bumper. Starting at the ground...

It surprises me that both lights are supplied power by a single 20ga wire (red with blue stripe), the front bumper side of the harness only has 2 wires, that power and a black ground, does that sound right?

I got the harness with only 1 wire cut, the Red with blue stripe, I soldered it back together, adding approx 4' of 20ga wire so they would reach, the front bumper half of the harness was barely long enough to come out by the windshield washer bottle and the under dash harness wasn't long enough to reach through the firewall.

I bolted the the under dash relay and the ground to the 10mm bolt that holds another relay to the left of the fuse box above and behind the hood latch.

The underhood relay is bolted to one of the AC evaporator bolts below the windshield washer bottle, I didn't scrape the paint away, figured the bolt was touching bare metal and the ground was touching the bolt, this is where I will start this next round or troubleshooting...

Once again, any input is appreciated, thanks everybody

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98CiviCn00b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
no..you know how you turn your headlights on and the back round of the switch lights up showing you what the switch is for...thats what im talking about..
Yes, when I turn on my headlights, and then turn on my fog lights (well, try to turn them on), the little green light in the fog light switch comes on as if to indicate the fogs are on

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

check the fuse in the relay wiring for the fogs..

make sure your getting power to the relay and switch....at both the fuse box and relay plug...

make sure its all grounded good...

make sure the bulbs work...

i might be forgetting something..trying to picture the wiring in my head..

20 gauge is way to small...at the min it should be 18 gauge..

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 02-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

The oe wire is, or at least appears to be, 20ga...wouldn't be the end of the world to change it, I'm getting pretty confident with soldering and what not, got nothing but time. 18ga looks super thick compared to the oe wiring...

Should I change that as well?

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Noob View Post
The oe wire is, or at least appears to be, 20ga...wouldn't be the end of the world to change it, I'm getting pretty confident with soldering and what not, got nothing but time. 18ga looks super thick compared to the oe wiring...

Should I change that as well?
yes sir..

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Don't have any laying around, off to Vato Zone...be back later, will swap the wire and clean up the ground, try it again, report back here with the results

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Good luck bro. And yeah im down for a mini meet
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Right on K., I'm still not sure what's going on with anything except I plan to go to Fremont either Saturday or Sunday, I'll keep you posted via Facebook if it starts to look like something is coming together

Regarding the car, I replaced the 20ga wire with an 18ga wire and moved the engine bay ground to the body of the car in its own location, scraped the paint off around an unused bolt hole in the between the wheel well and the headlight housing on the left and bolted it directly to bare sheet metal, that should be good enough to ground it. Still no light out the front of the car...

I know there is power at the switch as the indicator light comes on. The fuse depicted in the harness picture above is present and operable. I can hear the relay clicking when I toggle the switch so I'm pretty sure that is good.

At this point, all I can guess is both bulbs are burned out, what are the odds of that? Was planning to replace them with Piaa ion crystals anyways, having second thoughts about dropping $50 on a pair of bulbs at this point though...surely I can find what I'm pretty sure needs to be an H3 bulb to test it out first, need to go visit my tool box at my buddies house. Sure do miss working on my car there...

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in