Blew 60A Battery Fuse - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Default Blew 60A Battery Fuse

I'll try to be as brief as possible.

-1991 CRX Si

-Innovate LC-1 powered from under dash fuse box switched 12v terminal

-Analog Oil pressure, analog Boost, and Narrowband AFR gauges powered from radio fuse using a fuse tap. There is no radio installed

-12v laptop charger plugged into cigarette lighter (8 amp max input)

-The narrowband AFR gauge and LC1 are both grounded to the t-stat ground as recommended by innovate.

-The oil pressure and boost gauge back lights are grounded to the lug under the dash near the steering column

-All grounds are hooked up secretly. Alternator cable is thoroughly insulated with extra rubber (it's very close to contacting the bottom of the supercharger)

Today I had the key in the first on position and was using the laptop to send the ROM to ostrich. The wideband was warmed up.

Put the key in the second on position, fuel pump primed, all dash lights came on as usual

Put the key to cranking position and the 60A battery fuse blew.

Aside from a short to ground somewhere, what else might have caused this?

This setup was previously working without issue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 02-09-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

weld on the car at all?
thats the way i blew one in the crx
racejunke13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Nope

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Old 02-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
4 doors of fury!!!!

Rep Power: 20 dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!
dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dfanatic

Something is arcing. Theres 12v touching the chassis somewhere. Most common place is in the radio wiring. Id start there, especially since it doesnt have one. Also if you have your battery relocated make sure the main battery cable is not touching the chassis anywhere as well.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano

I dont think just any 12v short could cause this unless its coming from the dizzy. 60amps?
Old 02-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by racejunke13 View Post
I dont think just any 12v short could cause this unless its coming from the dizzy. 60amps?
yeah to blow the main fuse and to do it when putting the key in "start", it has to be something with a lot of power.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDNA View Post
yeah to blow the main fuse and to do it when putting the key in "start", it has to be something with a lot of power.
thats what I am saying i cant imagine anything with the ecu putting enough to blow 60 amps maybe a alternator short while starting/running?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

So everything that I've wired in that I listed above is fused with a 10 or 15amp fuse and those are in tact. Will double check all the wiring though.

All of the OEM radio wiring harness is in tact and simply unplugged.

Battery is no relocated. Brand new positive and negative battery cables too
Engine harness is also new and uncut or modified in any way

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 02-09-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
4 doors of fury!!!!

Rep Power: 20 dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!
dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!

Had a kid come in just last week that was popping main fuses. The culpret.....12v radio wire arcing. All depends on how its hooked up. This was also why I mentioned the battery cable, especially if its relocated. Its safe to assume every honda you see, or work on, made prior to 00 has been modded over and over again. Especially when it comes to stereo equipment, gauges and so on. People hook things up all kind of moronic ways and you never know what kind of fool owned your car before you, lol.

Edit: not sure if "moronic" is an actual word, just sounded good at the time, lol.

Id also like to add anytime you tap into an ACC switch wire for an accessory and it arcs somewhere, the main fuse is going to pop. This is something many people do and they do it without adding at least an inline fuse.

Last edited by dfanatic; 02-09-2014 at 04:13 PM.
dfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfanatic View Post
Had a kid come in just last week that was popping main fuses. The culpret.....12v radio wire arcing. All depends on how its hooked up. This was also why I mentioned the battery cable, especially if its relocated. Its safe to assume every honda you see, or work on, made prior to 00 has been modded over and over again. Especially when it comes to stereo equipment, gauges and so on. People hook things up all kind of moronic ways and you never know what kind of fool owned your car before you, lol.

Edit: not sure if "moronic" is an actual word, just sounded good at the time, lol.

Id also like to add anytime you tap into an ACC switch wire for an accessory and it arcs somewhere, the main fuse is going to pop. This is something many people do and they do it without adding at least an inline fuse.
you calling me out in my moronic ways
Old 02-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
4 doors of fury!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racejunke13 View Post
you calling me out in my moronic ways
No sir, just simply stating that previous owners of our civics can do some serious damage when they do their "upgrades", lol.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfanatic View Post
No sir, just simply stating that previous owners of our civics can do some serious damage when they do their "upgrades", lol.
I actually feel sorry for people that fix my harnesses just ask sleepinciv bout my wiring upgrades
Old 02-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Ok so I found a spot on the wideband 12v that had a male/female spade that was exposed and looks like it could have possibly touched something near the pedal assembly. What's strange is that the 10A fuse on he fuse box didn't blow so I can't see how that would have been it even if it did ground out

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 02-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

thats weird it has to be something else then
Old 02-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Did it make a couple cranking revolutions first?

I ask because if so....my thought would be either starter or something in the dizzy...something that's going to take a lot of juice(starter) or something that's going to create it...(dizzy..maybe even alt)

But since u did notice something on the wideband.....
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Ok so I rechecked and the 10amp wideband fuse is still good. I fixed the exposed spade connection though.

The alt is not grounded on anything.

I did, however, notice that the 2 wire dizzy plug is in pretty bad shape. The blue wire looks like it was damaged by a scotch lock an he other wire looks like it may be breaking at the plug. I guess that'll be the first thing I replace

Edit: no cranking revolutions, immediate fuse blow action

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 02-09-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

that's gotta be it that's the second thing I thought was the dizzy
Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
nub
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 nub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Pretty much everything mentioned above is fused on a smaller circuit. These would blow the smaller circuit dedicated fuse before the main battery fuse.

The only person I see mention it is neubie...the starter. It's the only thing that pulls that kind of amperage at start.

PatPrimmer
nub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

So right now the battery is disconnected and a new 60A fuse is in place. I noticed that I have continuity between the 60A fuse and all ground locations.

Excuse the stupid question but this isn't normal right? I shouldn't have continuity between the 60A battery fuse and the chassis grounds?

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 02-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
nub
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 nub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Is this with both battery terminals disconnected or just the negative? It's not normal either way.

Try unbolting the main battery feed to the starter and recheck. I think you have a short in the starter.

PatPrimmer
nub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in