Subwoofer Recommendations? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 0 colelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to colelmt
Question Subwoofer Recommendations?

I am thinking about buying a subwoofer for my 4-door civic. I already have 4 JL speakers and 2 JL Tweeters. I have a decent Kenwood deck. I am looking at buying an AMP and Subwoofer and Box. I don't want it to be too loud but loud enough if you know what I mean. I am also thinking about getting an AMP for the other speakers. I don't really want to have to upgrade my alternator. Any advice? I like JL and want to stick with that... but how big to go?...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

D16Z6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EJ255

colelmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 HB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

On sound equipment I always match the amp to the subs/speakers I'm going to use ( Go by rms out put, not peak!) but it's up to you how loud you want it

I had a 2,000watt 12" re sub for yrs w/ Hifhonics amp and loved it, but 120lbs had to go.
I'm currently working on a 1,200watt system w/ 2 shallow 10"s to help me break 40+mpg.
( and all that was on a stock alt. and a red top optima )

Hifonics amps and alpine/infinity/re subs have always sounded great and held great power for me, I would stay away from audiobahn and small name(cheap) brands.

Here's the place I always go to:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

Last edited by HB turbo-->; 09-17-2013 at 05:40 PM.
HB turbo--> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

go to the shops and try and listen to the subs. I'm running 2 dd 8's and it's plenty bass for me.
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 dseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to all

I loved my type r's. Had 2 12s in a sealed box with a 1k watt jl mono block.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

instagram @theerroneouspenguin
dseriesboulder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 0 colelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's asshole

Do you guys think 1 10" or 12" will be good enough? I am thinking of JL amp and sub.

D16Z6

EJ255

Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 dseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by colelmt View Post
Do you guys think 1 10" or 12" will be good enough? I am thinking of JL amp and sub.
Depends on how hard you want it. A good jl and a 1k watt mono block would hit super hard. I vote for 2 high quality 8s.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a new type s same as the old type r. And a alpine m500 amp hits pretty nice. Cost about 350 for the whole set up. Thats from best buy.
gsrteg83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Sundown 8s

Last edited by dseriesboulder; 09-20-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

one 10 will hit good if its setup rught but i personally will do one 12 when i do subs. I dont know whats new in the audio world but hanfs down would recommend alpine type r, they are amazing subs i had 2 12s running on a 1 ohm 4000 power acoustic amp it hit so hard.

Jl audio is amazing to but much more expensive, i want to try some jl w7 subs

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Alpine definitely makes a good quality speaker that sounds nice. I had a jl w7 that I sold to a buddy a while back that slammed! Said he still has it and she doesn't show any signs of slowing down
Current money pit and DD
civicfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Im running my 6.5 Polks and 6x9 pioneers off the head unit for mids and high's amd using a 300w mono Kicker amp for my 10" Kenwood sub.
Its fine for in the car to be loud and clear. Alot more bass then mids.. but I have the bass knob which I can lower/raise the bass to mesh everything together.

If you want to be heard from down the street, then Id suggest alot more power.

I was on the fence of getting a 5 ch amp to run everything but I didnt. I didnt feel like running new speaker wire to front speakers AND it sounds fine for my needs.

Just match the RMS rating of the amp to your speakers. You can have a 20% variance since not all RMS are the same and Do not look at peak power like said ^^. This is to trick you to think you have some hi dollar component.

Heres pics of my set up:

Before suede

after

Amp under deck

People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Last edited by Esotericimage; 09-26-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 35 Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

I don't know how they are now but in the late 90's JL is the only brand sub I'd buy.

"I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive."

R.I.P - Pat Primmer

Quote:
Beat them, cheat on them, treat them like shit and you'll get a hot woman that won't ever leave you. Women are a stupid breed that don't use fucking sense.
Black91CRXsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
Im running my 6.5 Polks and 6x9 pioneers off the head unit for mids and high's amd using a 300w mono Kicker amp for my 10" Kenwood sub.
Its fine for in the car to be loud and clear. Alot more bass then mids.. but I have the bass knob which I can lower/raise the bass to mesh everything together.

If you want to be heard from down the street, then Id suggest alot more power.

I was on the fence of getting a 5 ch amp to run everything but I didnt. I didnt feel like running new speaker wire to front speakers AND it sounds fine for my needs.

Just match the RMS rating of the amp to your speakers. You can have a 20% variance since not all RMS are the same and Do not look at peak power like said ^^. This is to trick you to think you have some hi dollar component.

Heres pics of my set up:

Before suede

after

Amp under deck

Really like the look of this with the suede! Very clean install! How'd you go about mounting the amp to the deck like that?
Current money pit and DD
civicfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicfan View Post
Really like the look of this with the suede! Very clean install! How'd you go about mounting the amp to the deck like that?
One of my Amps is mounted there. And I just used 4 self tapping screws and bam it was done

95CivicDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Juic3 will become famous soon enoughJuic3 will become famous soon enoughJuic3 will become famous soon enough

i have a 12 in 400 rms 1200 peak, and no problem with alt... and no eld

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Juic3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicfan View Post
took out the tension rods, swapped in pressurized supports which opened up the space for the amp.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

My buddy just picked up a w3. He's got an 800 watt 2 channel to push it. Going in a jeep. Should hit hard.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

If i was u i would off build my hold system of jl audio i had 2 13.5 jl w6 and i love it if i was u i would have gone with one 13.5 w7 and the 1000/1 amp and done
cruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 04:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 _Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes

Single 10" JBL powered by a older Sony Xplode 600W. Plenty of bass for my listening needs. Loud enough for me to hear and feel it, not the whole neighborhood.

_Jack_Bauer_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I am thinking of getting an amp to boost my current 4 JL speakers and tweeters before the Subwoofer upgrade. Any opinions?

D16Z6

EJ255

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in