Battery recommendations for a CRX - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver
Default Battery recommendations for a CRX

I am in need of a battery for my CRX. I am honestly lost. I would like something smaller than stock, but maybe not as small as the typical "680" size that is very popular because I do drive in places that are effing cold.

Batteries I will NOT use based on cumulative experience in my own cars and my family's cars:
Optimas (they SUCK since they moved to Mexico)
Anything Autozone sells (Duralasts 3months to a year, tops)

I read something about XS Power. Has anyone had any experience?

Odyssey is of course an option, too.

My electrical loads are pretty light, as I will only be running a small 2x50WRMS amp, wideband controller, headlights, heater, wipers and occasionally the sunroof. Nothing crazy and no other power accessories.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

optima and autozone private label are both johnson controls, which is unusual you've had bad experiences with because JCI makes VERY good product.

enersys makes a decent battery (odyssey)

xspower looks like relabeled china storage battery (aka garbage)
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 seandonn is learning the way of the Dseandonn is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Been using an Oddysey in my CRX for about a year now. PC680T relocated in the cab. I live in florida though, so I don't really have to deal with the cold. It does handle what I throw at it.. guages; wideband, oil pressure, oil temp, vac/boost, voltage, amp + subs
seandonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 dseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I'm running a 51r yellow top.

Works good in my book. Haven't had any issues out of it.

Edit: thatvwas in my ek. Just swapped it over to my new rex.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

instagram @theerroneouspenguin
dseriesboulder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

What kind of CCA are you wanting?

The stock 31500-SR1-100M 51(51R) size is 500-550CCA and has a 100 month warranty(36 of those free replacement) and weight about 26lbs. Now these are vented so you are limited in the mounting but they work perfectly good. I have never paid more then $75 for one and if you have a Costco membership you can get the same battery and warranty with a different label for $65.

This battery is made by Johnson Controls, same as Duralast/Optima.

One odd thing is these batteries are dropped of to the dealer by an Interstate truck, I have never been able to confirm the link between JCI and Interstate. The battery tester that must be used by dealers to warranty a battery is an ED-18. Another odd fact Interstate dealers must test a battery with a ED-18?

I'm getting off topic. Now if you want a an AGM battery these all work great

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/od...0mjt/overview/ The 3 year warranty starts the date the battery is shipped from Odyssey(so the warranty can be over by the time you buy it)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/xsp-s680/overview/ The 3 year warranty starts on purchase date

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brl-b129/overview/ (ONLY 9.5lbs!) 1 year warranty

Big Money! batteries
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lpp-l545/overview/ ONLY 4.1lbs! Lithium Ion
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lpp-l680/overview/ ONLY 4.4lbs! Lithium Ion

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...

Last edited by HondaDNA; 09-16-2013 at 07:44 PM.
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

I'd take the xs over optima. A lot of the car audio guys are running xs. Locally guys are switching from optima and kinetik to xs. I was going to try an odyssey but the only have the small ones for my civic.
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
optima and autozone private label are both johnson controls, which is unusual you've had bad experiences with because JCI makes VERY good product.

BULLSHIT Mexican made disposable product.

When Optima moved production from Colorado to south of the border, failure rates went through the ceiling.

My son, I bought him a DuraJunkLasting battery that died 17 days before the two year 100% warranty before pro-rating was up.

Like VCR's, batteries are now being cheaply made so that they only last 2-3 years. Due to the cost of Lead, the plates are being made thinner and lifespan is being reduced.

Durajunk Reds, two years.
Durajunk Golds and Interstate's, three years.

$150 battery from the dealer that will last 6 years just might be cheaper in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

Quote:

enersys makes a decent battery (odyssey)

xspower looks like relabeled china storage battery (aka garbage)
Heh. I have the exact opposite experience with those brands, plus very poor return experiences with the local Autozone. I won't ever user optima again. I had a yellow top 7 years ago. You couldn't kill the thing. I replaced it eventually with a newer yellowtop, abs it crapped out in about a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDNA View Post

The stock 31500-SR1-100M 51(51R) size is 500-550CCA and has a 100 month warranty(36 of those free replacement) and weight about 26lbs. Now these are vented so you are limited in the mounting but they work perfectly good. I have never paid more then $75 for one and if you have a Costco membership you can get the same battery and warranty with a different label for $65.

One odd thing is these batteries are dropped of to the dealer by an Interstate truck, I have never been able to confirm the link between JCI and Interstate. The battery tester that must be used by dealers to warranty a battery is an ED-18. Another odd fact Interstate dealers must test a battery with a ED-18?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/od...0mjt/overview/ The 3 year warranty starts the date the battery is shipped from Odyssey(so the warranty can be over by the time you buy it)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/xsp-s680/overview/ The 3 year warranty starts on purchase date

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brl-b129/overview/ (ONLY 9.5lbs!) 1 year warranty

Big Money! batteries
I may just end up getting a Honda battery. I'll check out the links later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_rice View Post
I'd take the xs over optima. A lot of the car audio guys are running xs. Locally guys are switching from optima and kinetik to xs. I was going to try an odyssey but the only have the small ones for my civic.
I've read nothing but nearly perfect reviews for the xs power batteries. I might be willing to take a chance on them.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I been running a advance auto battery for 7 years still cranks up no problem I'm suprised it lasted that long
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
BULLSHIT Mexican made disposable product.

When Optima moved production from Colorado to south of the border, failure rates went through the ceiling.

My son, I bought him a DuraJunkLasting battery that died 17 days before the two year 100% warranty before pro-rating was up.

Like VCR's, batteries are now being cheaply made so that they only last 2-3 years. Due to the cost of Lead, the plates are being made thinner and lifespan is being reduced.

Durajunk Reds, two years.
Durajunk Golds and Interstate's, three years.

$150 battery from the dealer that will last 6 years just might be cheaper in the long run.
I dunno, my company makes identical batteries in milwaukee and mexico, and the mexican batteries are, on average, 8% higher capacity and test 20% longer in accelerated lifecycle testing, and our batteries were originally a JCI design as well.

it's more likely they thinned the plates and separators (as you said, due to lead costs) when they moved production as well, and that's responsible for the reduction in longevity vs. old optima product. Since labor is so cheap in mex, you can have more actual attention given to each process and the result is usually higher quality. I also have my reservations about spiral cell AGMs in an application with a lot of vibration to begin with, and I stick with flooded flat plate batteries for that reason.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDNA View Post

Big Money! batteries
both of those ED-18 meters are made by midtronics, and interstate doesn't actually make a single battery - they're just a huge private labelling and distribution concern. Warranty terms on private label batteries are still always set by the OEM who made them, and I know JCI is very big on midtronics/ohmic testing data
Old 09-17-2013, 04:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Move operations to mexico for inferior batteries and to save money to be put towards advertising.

How many ads in Honda tuning have you seen? I'm sure its in every major magazine along with the commercials.

Just the american way. Cut costs to keep profits up at the expense of your customers.

I don t deal with cold climate, but the Shuriken battery I'm using (like a 680) has held up fine. Even when it was out of the car during build. Its 400 or 440CA but for our tiny engines, you don't need the full on 500/550.
SpeedFactory's track car uses one and they have no complaints.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Last edited by Esotericimage; 09-17-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
Move operations to mexico for inferior batteries and to save money to be put towards advertising.

How many ads in Honda tuning have you seen? I'm sure its in every major magazine along with the commercials.

Just the american way. Cut costs to keep profits up at the expense of your customers.
and to get out from under the unions that make production here unfeasible
Old 09-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

I had forgotten about the Braille batteries.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. This had penned up some new avenues for me to explore.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Quote:
and to get out from under the unions that make production here unfeasible
I don't mind that, but if quality drops, that's an issue. Current Optimas are crud.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Quote:
both of those ED-18 meters are made by midtronics, and interstate doesn't actually make a single battery - they're just a huge private labelling and distribution concern. Warranty terms on private label batteries are still always set by the OEM who made them, and I know JCI is very big on midtronics/ohmic testing data
I always expected that, I just found it odd that JCI was listed in the MSDS and Interstate is who dropped the batteries off at the dealer. It's good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
I had forgotten about the Braille batteries.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. This had penned up some new avenues for me to explore.
So after posting these last night I looked more into the Braille, as I wanted an AGM battery that was light weight and would fit under the passenger seat. It seems that a lot of people are saying the Braille is a relabeled Deka? Deka batteries are WAY cheaper then Braille if thats the case

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Sure looks like it. Interesting.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

yeah, flame arrestors and terminals are the easiest way to tell actual OEM apart

Deka is decent too

see all of these? all originally made by JCI.

Last edited by shoebox_civic; 09-17-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Bookmarking that Deka for the next battery go around...

thanks for the info!
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I live in Duluth, MN. I use a Honda battery in my civic. It sits in an unheated garage for the winter. Last one went 5+ yrs. Current 1 is 2 years old.

No issues.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in