Crane HI-6 CDI harness extension - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 thompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default Crane HI-6 CDI harness extension

Good morning everyone
I am trying to track down if I can extend the harness on a CDI unit.

I recently purchased a Crane Cams HI-6 ignition box and coil. I wanted to mount the box under the passenger seat out of the way and away from heat and water, but I have not been able to track down whether or not it is detrimental to extend the harness or not.

Does anyone have some information on this?
DIY port and polished head
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
thompson335 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 HB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I'm not sure on a harness, but as long as you extend the wires and use the right size wire ( soider and heat shrink it) you shouldn't have any problems.
HB turbo--> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

If it is like a factory harness then you can de-pin the connectors and use longer wires and the stock pins and put it all back together. Just a thought. This prevents splicing the harness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 thompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to all

Never found anything on line, but I did come across a tech help phone number and someone actually answered it. Bottom line the guy said it was OK to extended the harness.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Did they say the reccomended method of extension. Splicing or replacing the wire?

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

The word they used was extend, but I am going to replace the wire and Repin.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 08-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson335 View Post
but I am going to replace the wire and Repin.
Good man

Quote:
Old 08-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

You want to run a very noisy, high power thingy near the area your ECU is located? You also want to introduce enough lag into the system to make a feelable difference at high RPM?

Youcrazy.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Yea, I had a lot of those same thoughts, and after a conversation with the Crane tech rep I decided to give it a shot. Crane recommends that the unit be placed inside the car. The wires are only about 3 feet longer than if I mounted it on the firewall. I am using some removed double strand aircraft wiring that is made to contain 115V AC at 400htz it has a 1000V capability. Each strand in the bundle is individually insulated, then the two strands are insulated in a Teflon like tube, then it has another insulation , then a braided shield and then finally an outer Teflon insulation. this should give me the best chance to keep the noise down. Plus under the seat is farther away from the ECU.

In aircraft they run this kind of wiring in bundles right next to each other. In some incidences ECU and ignition wiring right next to each other. I have high hopes that it will work out.

I can always move the unit if I have issues.
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 08-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

why do you want to run the HI6 to begin with?
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I know there is a lot of debate in the Honda world that the stk ignition system is good two 400hp, but is that the best way to do it. I am sure you can get to 400 hp with stk ignition, but my experience tells me that the torque curve will not be near as good, and the overall HP with the CDI system will be even more. Also the engine will run more efficient. The more efficient your engine runs the more overall power all your mods will make.

It is kind of like the difference between a cast turbo manifold and a good custom stainless steel manifold with a proper choke on the collector. Yes the cast manifold will make 600hp, but it will never match the response that the stainless steel manifold will do, and we are not even talking about the terminal characteristics of the stainless.
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 08-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

Ok. You have a clue. It sounds like you aren't going to be putting this together by twisting crap speaker wire together and "securing"it with tape. Heh.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Also, I'd like to point out that the ignition wires in the stock harness are simply signal. They don't carry significant current.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Ok. You have a clue. It sounds like you aren't going to be putting this together by twisting crap speaker wire together and "securing"it with tape. Heh.
that is funny, but I guess there are a lot of people that surf these forms that do not know.

Only been messing with Honda a few years, but I have been playying with cars and aircraft, and this is going to give my age away for about 30 years. But I must say electronics is not my best tallent, I have a long way to go with learning to tune.

I am looking for some suggestions on spark plug wires, Crane suggest wires with no more than 800ohs per foot.
I was thinking NGK but I think they are in the 2000 ohm per foot range. Taylor makes one that is the 500ohms per foot range that cost about $60 but I have no experiance with their wires.
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

What about Magnecor.

I will only use NGK, MSD or Magnecor woes on a car I own.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I purchased a set over the weekend. There where no suggestions to this thread. I did a bunch of research and decided on a set of wires from Taylor. should be here early this week. I will let you guys know what I think. I have never used them before, my prior experience has been with Jacobs they were very popular in the 4x4 world.
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 08-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

by the way it is all installed and it appears to be working good, with the factory wires. no noise or misfires. we will see what happens with the Taylor wires, I cannot imagine them having the same kind of EMI suppression of factory wires.
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Post up pics of the harness you are making, I always love DIY harness stuff.

Quote:
Old 08-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Not much to show. just ran the wires in a loom pinned the wires and plugged it into the existing plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1377561061414.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	48826   Click image for larger version

Name:	1377561100132.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	48834  
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 08-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
gonzo

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Crane HI-6 CDI harness extension

how does it work
Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in