Honda D Series Forum banner

Electrical gremlin-blower motor and resistor NEED HELP

3K views 40 replies 6 participants last post by  BigJnWorldWide 
#1 ·
Okay, so in the past, I've had the leads on my blower motor start to loose their stiffness and touch each other thus shorting the thing out. Before, I was able to separate the leads on the resistor and the motor would work.

So now, the motor stopped working again and I suspected that it was the same problem. This time, I ordered a new resistor. I replaced it and the motor still wouldn't turn. So I tested the connector at the resistor, I got no voltage. So then I tested the connector at the blower motor, I got voltage. So I deduced that the blower motor was bad.

Here's the thing. I didnt check for continuity. So I went and checked for cont at both connectors and there i ZERO (0) continuity. How in the holy hell is there voltage but no continuity???????? Am I missing something? I've had a lot going on and maybe my mind is flustered.

Can anyone help?

#3 ·
I checked the connector at the positive pin and chasis ground. I also performed the same procedure by back probing with the same results.

#5 ·
Yes to 12v. I will go outside right now and go get dirty/annoyed. I HATE electrical problems. In just want my damn ac!

#7 · (Edited)
I used to be good at it when I smoked. I've been sober for like 3 years and haven't had anything couldn't handle until now. I'm stumped, for once. I feel.......infantile.

Tested millivolts at the ground pin and the meter reads -1

#8 ·
If you went from the positive to ground there should be no continuity, but you should see voltage.
Easiest way to be sure wiring is good is
1. Check power wire by going from positive pin to chasis ground should see voltage. (I think that is what you did already)

2. Check the ground wire by going from positive pin to ground pin should see voltage also. (If step 1 didn't show voltage then you would have to run a wire from battery positive to ground pin)

#10 · (Edited)
Test one showed voltage. Testing pin to pin shows 0.

Don't sweat it at work I come across electrical shit that's a pain in the ass all the time.

Good ground??

The ground is wonderful.

#11 ·
pin to pin?

one wire is power the other is ground. to test ground you go from the ground pin at the connector (back probed plugged in) to chassis or battery ground with the circuit :live turned on even though it won't. what's the voltage? Must have a good ground or test is inconclusive.

I don't care about continuity.

#14 ·
#16 ·
On a 12v system? Okay, i will admit. Its been a looooong while.

#18 · (Edited)
Roger, checking.....

I hate you......

#21 · (Edited)
Its only me and my neighbors are flakes, unless there is a way to do it solo.

I need like STUPID long leads on this voltmeter and then I could do it.

#24 ·
Shitty ground wire. Oh how I hate harness work.

#27 ·
I will have to trace that. This was from the blower motor connector. I'm gonna tackle that either after work tomorrow or this weekend. If I have enough wire in the apartment, I will wire a temporary ground from the battery. Its fucking dark out here and our lights blow goats.

What year car is this on?
This is a 95 civic sedan lx.

#29 ·

Are one of these plugs the one your having problems with?

#30 ·
The second plug looks very much like the one I'm dealing with. There isn't anything else attached that closely like the first pic.

#31 ·

The blue/black wire goes to this resistor ^^

The blue/white goes from the clear plug on the blower motor to the brown plug on the side of the glove box.

#32 ·
Fuck, that's easy. I can do that with cell phone light. I will be handing out rep/handies shortly.

#33 ·
I used my cell phone to take those pics right now in the dark. Your problem could be that resistor thing on top of the blower motor box.

#34 ·
I hope not. I'm hoping it's just the wire. I did replace the motor and resistor.........if that is any consolation.

#35 ·
Does the plug for the blower motor look good or is it burnt/melted?

#37 ·
It looks a tiny bit burnt.

#40 ·
I will tackle this today. I got paid and didn't have any money when I posted.

Like I said, Rep and handies.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#41 · (Edited)
Okay, so I have jumped the ground at the blower motor also I have jumped the ground at the resistor and fan stays on all the time. Even when I think I have the same setting of the fan is blowing.

does that sound like something in HVAC units has been fried? Or do I need to replace both grounds for that to work properly? Honestly I don't know.

I got the same results back probing both connections.

Edit!!!!!!!!! Now all of the controls are working regularly. I'm not sure what happened before to wear the blower was always on but now it works just having a wire hooked up to a chassis ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.