wide band and AFR guage woes - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 thompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default wide band and AFR guage woes

need some help and ideas, I have an innovative wide band and a autometer AFR gauge. about 6 months ago I put the wideband in the car set it up hooked up the yellow wire to the ecu. I am running Crome on the ECU and all worked on my laptop. recently I installed a AFR gauge to the brown wire on my wide band. ran it for a couple days and was getting some wack reading. thought i just needed to calibrate the voltage output in LM Programmer. when I did this the wide band quit working. o2 sensor will not heat up. I tried all the calibrating things noting seems to reset it. A friend of mine has a LM2 and i was going try his sensor to see if mine is burnt. after disconnecting the wide band from the power I kept getting signals on the AFR guage when the wideband was disconnected. i noticed when I turn on AC and change the fan speeds get a indication on the AFR gauge. It also happens with windshield wipers and turn signal.
the power lead was getting power from te fuse block, I wired it direct to the battery just to see if tings changed but their was no difference.
I am feeling pretty confident it is a ground issue, but i have no Idea how to track that down. I could really use some good advice on how to accomplish this.
DIY port and polished head
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
thompson335 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 thompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to all

No one has any suggestions?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 06-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 bake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Ground you wideband to the t-stat ground.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
bake82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Why is that better? Currently I am grounded to the body under the dash where the steering wheel mounts to the car body.
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 06-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 bake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Ground offsets. Everything should be grounded together with the ECU. Solder/crimp properly the wire from the wideband and the gauge and run one lead with one ring terminal to the t-stat ground. I'm unsure if it will actually fix your problem but it certainly won't hurt it and it's an easy way to see if thats the problem.
bake82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

What wideband are you using, the LC1, MTX-L?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Lc1. I am not so worried about the wideband but I do need to figure out why I am getting signals on the AFR gage with the wideband disconnected.
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 06-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

The controller is programmed to output a high impedance signal when the sensor is disconnected if I recall correctly. Probably why you are getting weird readings with the sensor unplugged.

Fix the grounds as detailed above. Also make sure your gauge is grounded to the same location as well. Body grounds are notoriously noisy, and should not be used for datalogging equipment. Steel is a poor conductor, and the body structure acts as an antenna of sorts anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Listen to this guy ^^
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

all the wide band grounds are soldered together and attached to the steering wheel mount. the AFR is hooked together with a oil pressure and boost gauge all power wires connected together and routed to the fuse box. Ground wires are the same and attach to the body. will it be detrimental to have all those grounds soldered together and attached to the thermostat hsg.
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 06-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

no you need to ground the LC-1 grounded to the T-stat housing or the readings will be off in crome. Also ditch the innovative and get a PLX. I had too many problems with the LC-1 like sensors going out often. Now that I have a PLX I couldn't be happier. You don't even have to calibrate the PLX wideband

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

one thing i did tonight was to go thru the fuse block pulling the individual fuses to try and see if I could narrow it to a single circuit, and it made no difference. guess if the body is as noise as you say that would make sense. one of the other issues I have is crappy radio reception.

The battery ground goes from the battery straight to the body, and then another wire goes from body to engine. should i go straight to the engine from the battery as well as to the body at the same time?
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 06-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
no you need to ground the LC-1 grounded to the T-stat housing or the readings will be off in crome. Also ditch the innovative and get a PLX. I had too many problems with the LC-1 like sensors going out often. Now that I have a PLX I couldn't be happier. You don't even have to calibrate the PLX wideband

really? I suspect the sensor is shot on mine as well. I will know for sure when I get a chance to try my buddy's out.

I will have to check out the PLX I am pretty frustrated with my innovative LC1.
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
Old 06-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

I had no issues on my LC1 except for a sensor every year or so, but I sold it for an MTX-L, only has 5 wires and is cheap and fast reading. Yes, you need to ground your wideband to the thermostat housing with the ECU. I had variances in my voltages reporting to the ecu vs what the gauge was reading until I did so.

< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

I have had zero issues with my two LC-1s, and I am probably approaching 6+ years of ownership on the first one which has been installed in no less than 4 vehicles.

Fix the grounds as instructed above, and you won't have these issues.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in